nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #242749
View in linear mode

Subject: "shutter count" Previous topic | Next topic
rarcha Registered since 28th May 2010Sat 29-May-10 05:32 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"shutter count"

US

Hi All

Can any one tell me how to find a shutter count, on a D80 I'm going to purchase one on Ebay, and ther are a few people that don't know or how to find it. I know of a couple of sotfware programs, but is it in the photo description in the Nikon software, Thank you for any info.

Thank you

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: shutter count
Goodie
29th May 2010
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
01st Jun 2010
PAStime Silver Member
01st Jun 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
01st Jun 2010
cecat90
02nd Jun 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
02nd Jun 2010
cecat90
02nd Jun 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
02nd Jun 2010
cecat90
03rd Jun 2010

Goodie Registered since 10th Jul 2008Sat 29-May-10 09:42 PM
677 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: shutter count"
In response to Reply # 0

Bristol, UK

The shutter count is in the EXIF data. Get the seller to open a recent picture in IrfanView (or some similar editing software) and look in the EXIF file.

HTH

--------
Regards
Steve G

My Nikonians gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 01-Jun-10 06:46 AM
27047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: shutter count"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Richard,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Open a jpeg image file created in the camera with Opanda IExif 2.3 available free at www.opanda.com. About the 6th item from the bottom is: Total number of shutter actuations.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 01-Jun-10 12:29 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: shutter count"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

If you don't want to get into installing Opanda or PhotoMe or equivalent (although it is easy), ask the seller to email you a recent shot and then post it here. We can look at the shutter actuations and let you know what it is. Peter

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 01-Jun-10 04:56 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: shutter count"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

You can even use Jeffrey\'s Exif Viewer from your web browser to see the Exif data from a web image, or image on your computer. It will even handle a NEF, but this can take a long time to process as the image needs to be uploaded to the web server for processing. The 'Shutter count' will be toward the bottom of the page and you will need to scroll down due the amount of data being displayed.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Wed 02-Jun-10 06:41 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: shutter count"
In response to Reply # 0

Folsom, US

Good question, as I accidently reset my count not too long ago and was also wondering if I could still find out a way to tell where I'm at total.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 02-Jun-10 07:18 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: shutter count"
In response to Reply # 5

Chicago, US

I do not think you can reset the shutter count/actuations. You can reset the file name number, but that is not the same as the shutter count.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Wed 02-Jun-10 07:27 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: shutter count"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 02-Jun-10 07:48 PM by cecat90

Folsom, US

>I do not think you can reset the shutter count/actuations.
>You can reset the file name number, but that is not the same
>as the shutter count.

You're right. That's what I meant. I went from the files being with the numbers somewhere around 9,000 and now it started from the beginning, I'm at about dsc_1000 now.

One question I do have, though, is how did that happen?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 02-Jun-10 08:07 PM
#8. "RE: shutter count"
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

See page 106 of your D80 manual.

"OnFile numbering continues from the last number used after a new folder is created, the memory card is formatted, or a new memory card is inserted. If a photograph is taken when the current folder contains a photograph numbered 9999, a new folder will be created and fi le numbering will begin again from 0001."

And

"File Numbering
If the current folder is numbered 999 and contains 999 photographs or a photograph numbered 9999, the shutter release will be disabled. If File no. sequence is on, turn it off and format the memory card
or insert another memory card in the camera."

George
My Nikonian Galleries

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Thu 03-Jun-10 12:09 AM
#9. "RE: shutter count"
In response to Reply # 8

Folsom, US

Yes. Got it! Thanks.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #242749 Previous topic | Next topic