Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #239938
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shutter Button Breaks" Previous topic | Next topic
trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Tue 19-Jan-10 05:13 AM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shutter Button Breaks"

Tamuning, US

I have had 2 D90s and both have had the shutter button break. They are made of plastic with a plastic stem. Is there any metal substirute for the shutter release button that anyone knows of? I had had some success super gluing the silver top piece back on, but am not crazy about the fragility.

Has anyone else had this problem? Know of any permanent fixes?

Tim

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Shutter Button Breaks
sidewinder Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
trock Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
km6xz Moderator
19th Jan 2010
trock Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
MstrBones Silver Member
20th Jun 2010
PAStime Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
trock Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
elec164 Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
jon_b
19th Jan 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
DRB
19th Jan 2010
trock Silver Member
20th Jan 2010
PAStime Silver Member
20th Jan 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
20th Jan 2010
km6xz Moderator
20th Jan 2010
jon_b
20th Jan 2010
trock Silver Member
20th Jan 2010
jon_b
20th Jan 2010
trock Silver Member
20th Jan 2010
rduren
18th Apr 2010
nikonkidf3
28th Aug 2013
laser sailor
20th Jan 2010
trock Silver Member
20th Jan 2010
Alx
21st Jan 2010
trock Silver Member
19th Apr 2010
shane_gross
18th Jun 2010
Floridian Silver Member
18th Jun 2010
shane_gross
18th Jun 2010
trock Silver Member
18th Jun 2010
km6xz Moderator
20th Jun 2010
trock Silver Member
20th Jun 2010
kentuckienne
21st Jun 2010
trock Silver Member
21st Jun 2010
kentuckienne
21st Jun 2010
trock Silver Member
21st Jun 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
22nd Jun 2010
trock Silver Member
22nd Jun 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
22nd Jun 2010
trock Silver Member
22nd Jun 2010
nikonkidf3
28th Aug 2013

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Tue 19-Jan-10 05:25 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It's a shutter button, not a nail head....

I have not seen any other complaints about shutter button durability. I did a lot of searching on the D90 when trying to decide what dSLR to buy too.

Are you sure you are not being a bit abusive?

Scott

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Tue 19-Jan-10 06:03 AM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 1

Tamuning, US

I have been shooting professionally for 30+ years and my cameras get a lot of abuse. I take them underwater in oceans, on boats around saltwater, into jungles, on hikes, in and out of air con and into high humidity. That's why I use Nikon. Normally, they're tough.

So for this model to break when others haven't is a bit of a D90 build disappointment to me.

However, I am looking for a fix. Anyone know of a replacement metal button/stem assembly? This may be something I have to take up with NPS or just but a D300S. But I like the small size of these, so I was hoping for a fix.

Best,

Tim

Visit my Gallery: timrock.photoshelter.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 19-Jan-10 06:42 AM
3313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

For the environment, the D3s is the camera because it has superior weather sealing. I have never heard of anyone breaking a button on a D90, let alone two. Why are you banging it so hard? The shutter on any camera, including the D3s will break just as likely because they are all small buttons actuating a $0.05 tact switch, the same as on stereos and appliances.
If you do not change your usage you will not be happy with ANY digital camera which is more of a computer than a piece of hardware. The more serious problem is the environmental hazards you subject your camera to. The only one designed for that is the D3 so don't bother with any others. As a pro you likely know that anyway. Or buy 2 D90's and just trash one when it gets corroded with salt spray. Consider that if any corrosion is seen inside the D3 if it needs to go back to service will void the warranty also.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Tue 19-Jan-10 07:03 AM
#4. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 3

Tamuning, US

They are sometimes used in an underwater housing. This may weaken the assembly. But the shaft is plastic and I have known others who have had this trouble. Can a metal shutter from another newer Nikon be adapted to this camera? That would be the proper fix. Maybe I should be in the Repair forum?

Thanks for the input. D3s is great but big and heavy. D90 is fine for what I need.

Timbo

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Sun 20-Jun-10 02:44 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 2

AW

>So for this model to break when others haven't is a bit of a D90 build disappointment to me.

I'd be willing to bet it is the same button in the D70, D70s, D80, etc, with simple variations in finish.

I find it interesting that you have had two break, but if you are doing all the things you talk about, you really should be buying the D300s or a D700 - they are built like small tanks and since your are around salt water and high humidity environments, the weather sealing may be of benefit as well.

My D70s, which is still going strong after 5 years and around 40k shots, and having been used everywhere from Yosemite in winter to Beale Street, Memphis, on a hot humid night to the tubes of London in blustery, cold English weather, just does not compare in build quality to my D200, which all the newer three digit Nikon bodies derive from.

From my perspective you could have bought a D300s for less than the cost of two D90 bodies.

Just a perspective,

""

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 19-Jan-10 11:10 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

Tim: this is a long shot (pun intended) but is there any way you can trigger a lot of your shots with a wireless or wired remote? They are cheap to replace. Cheers, Peter

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Tue 19-Jan-10 11:16 AM
#6. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 5

Tamuning, US

Thx Peter,

I do have one for underwater. May have to hook it up for UW D90 use.

Works great.

Good idea.

However, I'd still like to know if a D300 or D3 shutter release button & shaft combo would work on my D90. (for land use)

Anyone??

Best,

Tim

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 19-Jan-10 01:09 PM
2053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 6

US

When I read your post it sounded familiar, so I did a Nikonian search and found the other thread.

Not that it offers a solution to your situation but you are not alone and the cause apparently has to do with your underwater housing probably.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=150&topic_id=231487&prev_page=show_topic&gid=231487#231621

Bill broke 2 shutter buttons on the D80 and called Nikon to see if the more Pro cameras would be better. Nikons reply seemed to imply apparently not.

Pete

Pete

jon_b Registered since 14th Jul 2008Tue 19-Jan-10 01:10 PM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Not being funny, but if you want a reliable answer to that I think you need to ask either Nikon or one of their approved service centres.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 19-Jan-10 01:58 PM
3168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

Odd, but I just looked at the shutter button on my D90 and it looked like chrome steel.
The one on my D3 is definitely black plastic.

Maybe you need to machine a titanium duplicate,
except that would probably only shift the damage to the switch.
Or, maybe put some rubber on the bottom of the Underwater housing button.

DRB Registered since 11th Sep 2002Tue 19-Jan-10 08:13 PM
861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I am wondering on how many actuations were on each camera when the button failed?

DRB

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Wed 20-Jan-10 12:56 AM
#11. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 10

Tamuning, US

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great input.

That's a bit disappointing about the Nikon shutter release assemblies all being plastic now. Hmmm, maybe fashioning a titanium piece is a good solution or the only solution. Anyone in Mikonians who does this??

I know of this happening with about four different housing makers, so I don't think its a specific housing company problem. They all use a thin inner arm that probably does not hit exactly directly on top of the release button. I have to assume the difference is mere centimeters causing the stress.

I have discussed this with Aquatica as they are very responsive to user input. I asked if they could make an arm with a broader end that would distribute the pressure evenly. They are looking into it as they have had a few customers with breaks in the D70-90 series.

The stress happens when shooting continuously and holding down the shutter actuation arm on the housing for an extended period. I suspect a light touch would be the solution, but that's not always possible in the heat of action.

I have had two breaks come while using the camera in a housing and one on land but that camera was used in a housing a lot, so I assume the stress of the housing arm pre-cracked the head.

For my cameras, they were all but new btw (see attached image). Maybe used for just a couple of weeks when the breaks occur. Thus, not many actuations. Less than 5,000.

Right now I have made a pad of sorts out of electrical tape and placed it on top of the Super-glued broken silver head piece. This allows the arm to release the shutter with little pressure. However, this has to be re-taped every few dives, so its a pain when on an etended dive trip. And it make the shutter area sticky from tape residue when using the camera on land.

Soooo, if anyone knows of someone who can fashion a substantial shutter had & stem assembly, I'm the first customer. Reserve 2 for me.

Thanks again for the input.

Tim

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 20-Jan-10 02:23 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 11

Kingston, CA

>Hmmm, maybe fashioning a
>titanium piece is a good solution or the only solution. Anyone
>in Mikonians who does this??

My guess is that you don't need a tougher release button as the shock causing the current damage will only be transmitted to the assembly below the button, and eventually result in damage there. I think a better solution may lie in somehow absorbing the force of the underwater housing release mechanism while maintaing a positive feel to the shutter release. I say all this without having seen the mechanism - just a guess. Cheers, Peter

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 20-Jan-10 07:30 AM
3168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 20-Jan-10 07:32 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Perhaps gluing a thin piece of hard rubber on top of the shutter button or bottom of housing button would work
or a dab of Shoe Goo. It dries pretty clean.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 20-Jan-10 07:39 AM
3313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 12

St Petersburg, RU

Buttons were designed to be actuated by index fingers which have a distributed force characteristic that is quite different from a stiff activating arm.
The force with finger tip pads are by nature self distributing and it would be hard to do with a finger pad what is happening with your buttons; being sheared off by applying the force off center.
There are two avenues of attack for the problem, one is mount a switch with proper UW rated sealing on or through the case of the UW housing and connecting that switch to a plug that would be inserted into the aux multi-pin connector on the side the camera for triggering the shutter.
The switch in the normal shutter release is a two level switch, actually two normal cheap switches mounted next to each other but with different pole heights for AF and Shutter release. With the single water proof industrial style switch, other means of AF would be needed. An industrial control style switch would last longer than the camera or diver.

The next possible solution would be to mimic the figure pad by putting a small gel filled cushion on top of the button to allow the variation in error of centering of the actuator arm that is likely the cause of the problem. Gel and not foam or other non-constant displacement filler.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jon_b Registered since 14th Jul 2008Wed 20-Jan-10 07:29 AM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"

GB

I think you’re on the right track looking at the housing as the problem. The button is designed to be pushed by a finger (very little pressure, no problem with plastic). If the control in the housing is too ‘spiky’ then it’s going to result in a large pressure, which the little plastic button doesn’t like.

I don’t know exactly what the control in the housing is like, but you could start by sticking something onto the end of it. You might be able to so something simple like the eraser off the end of a pencil, or the cap of a small tube filled with blue-tac.

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Wed 20-Jan-10 07:41 AM
#16. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 13

Tamuning, US

The housing arm has a soft end. I think the problem is that it comes down at an angle. It needs to come down where the pressure is directly distributed from the top. I have tried a number of things but the button continues to break even when super re-glued. I truly think I need something besides plastic. Will keep you posted.

Best,

T

jon_b Registered since 14th Jul 2008Wed 20-Jan-10 08:16 AM
#17. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 16

GB

I think you need something that pushes the button straight down. If you keep pushing your new metal button sideways you’ll break whatever’s holding the button next.

I’d say the design of the housing is flawed.

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Wed 20-Jan-10 08:36 AM
#18. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 17

Tamuning, US

Like I said, if it is off, its miniscule. The same assembly doesn't break D200s or harm them in any way. Ive been shooting both Nikon and Canon underwater for 25+ years and this has never happened to any other camera. Its not so much pressure that it would bend anything metal. The housing arm would bend back first. I think I'll see what Nikon says about replacing this part with something more substantial than plastic if that's possible.

Will report back in a month or so. I have a trip starting Friday and will return early Feb and send in a body to see what they say.

Best,

T

rduren Registered since 18th Apr 2010Sun 18-Apr-10 11:06 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"

US

Tim,

Did you have any luck finding a replacement shutter button assembly for your D90 (even a plastic version)? I had precisely the same failure with my D90 in an Aquatica housing last week at the beginning of a pelagic night dive in Hawaii - supremely frustrating. This occurred after maybe 30 dives with this housing. Now that I know the problem with the housing I can try to mitigate it as some have suggested here. But I'm still stuck with a non-functional shutter button on the camera. My efforts to superglue it back have been unsuccessful (and I wouldn't count on it lasting anyway). I suspect that sending it to Nikon for repair will prove very costly. Thanks,

Riley

nikonkidf3 Registered since 28th Aug 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 04:07 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 22

US

>Tim,
>
>Did you have any luck finding a replacement shutter button
>assembly for your D90 (even a plastic version)? I had
>precisely the same failure with my D90 in an Aquatica housing
>last week at the beginning of a pelagic night dive in Hawaii -
>supremely frustrating. This occurred after maybe 30 dives with
>this housing. Now that I know the problem with the housing I
>can try to mitigate it as some have suggested here. But I'm
>still stuck with a non-functional shutter button on the
>camera. My efforts to superglue it back have been unsuccessful
>(and I wouldn't count on it lasting anyway). I suspect that
>sending it to Nikon for repair will prove very costly.
>Thanks,
>
>Riley

Hello Riley!

I am going to have a replacement D90 shutter release button made out of stainless steel to replace the one I just broke on my D90 in an Aquatica AD90 enclosure. Do you want me to have one made up for you?

Regards!

Willis

laser sailor Registered since 30th Apr 2008Wed 20-Jan-10 11:17 AM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Just a thought but would be possible to take the shutter button out of the equation entirely by using a remote control. plugged or wired. I recognize that you are under water and that this adds the complication of water proofing a remote. I would think it is cheaper to purchase a relatively inexpensive remote a few times a year instead of sending the D90 in for service a few times a year.

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Wed 20-Jan-10 02:42 PM
#20. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 19

Tamuning, US

I have an underwater remote. It requires extra weight and the cable release means I don't have TTL but I rarely use TTL anyway.

That is an option I hadn't thought about until I started this thread. so thank you for that.

It can be a good alternative. I does mean 2 extra cables and a bit of extra set-up time, but then I can use the D90 without worry of breakdown, so I may go that route.

Ta daaa!!

Tim

Alx Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 21-Jan-10 09:45 PM
391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 20

Nashville, US

I would suggest operating on the UW housing's shutter finger. If it is a metal lever , it can be ground/sanded/filed/buffed down to the point where it cannot push so hard on the camera's button. If plastic, the same treatment, but very carefully not to take too much off. If the shutter plunger of the housing is just straight down onto the shutter button of the camera, the plunger must have some stopping point or limit, to be sealed ... so just grind/sand/file/buff the plunger to the point where it works the shutter but is not able to overdrive the camera button.
That way you are not ruining the camera by modifying its shutter button.

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Mon 19-Apr-10 12:27 AM
#23. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 21

Tamuning, US

The camera shutter button is already broken. Housings have arms, not plungers. The problem is me holding down the arm too long and hard during continuous sequences of high action (shark feeds, whales fighting, manta mating, etc.). Every Nikon handles this except the D90. What I really need is a metal, not plastic, shutter release assembly for a D90 to replace the flimsy plastic. If someone machines these, I'd be happy to send my bodies to get these implanted.

Best,

Tim

shane_gross Registered since 18th Jun 2010Fri 18-Jun-10 09:01 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 23

CA

i bought a d90 and aquatica housing about 4 months ago and have also had 2 breaks. i sent it in to Nikon for repair and put a note asking if they can replace it with a teflon button...we'll see

i also noticed that the little rubber part that fits over the housing's metal lever was punctured and metal was sticking through, which i'm sure expidited the break. i have changed that, but have little confidence my camera will last through my next dive trip.

i've heard of different solutions like those little round bandaids, but a perminant solution is greatly needed. keep us posted if anyone finds anything that works. i too think aquatica needs to come up with a button that presses straight down on the release button as opposed to the lever it has now.

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 18-Jun-10 09:29 PM
2722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 23

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>... Every Nikon handles this except the D90...

Why not get a D300 then?

Randy

shane_gross Registered since 18th Jun 2010Fri 18-Jun-10 10:11 PM
#26. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 25

CA

no doubt my next camera will be a d300s or higher...but to spend the money not only on a new camera, but also a new housing (more expensive than the camera), i cannot justify right now.

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Fri 18-Jun-10 11:29 PM
#27. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 26

Tamuning, US

I got the D90 because it was the only camera with video at the time and it is smaller and more compact (both camera and housing) with basically D300 works inside.

Now there are options, but that does mean I have to sell the housing and 2 D90 bodies. Rather just get a fix for this glitch and wait for the D400 to come out.

Timbo

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 20-Jun-10 01:28 AM
#28. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 27

St Petersburg, RU

This whole old thread seems backwards. The claim that only the D90 is bad, when surely the others of current production types have not been tried, and the problem is clearly a defective design of the kludge UW housing. Why is not the manufacture of the housing being brought into the situation, they are the ones responsible for requiring a button to be used in a way it was never intended to be used.
If the OP is so sure that the button on the camera was the source of the problem, and wanted to strengthen the button shaft(ignoring the probability that a more rigid actuator would only damage a much more expensive part, the switch pc board), and ignoring the only reasonable solution of using a UW rated switch for shutter control mounted elsewhere, I wonder why he did not hire an engineer to design and have a metal button assembly made? Why expect Nikon to have a responsibility to supply an alternate control system to overcome the defective housing design by a 3rd party? Why the certainty that the problem is the 3rd party; simply that the problem is a non-issue for human operators of the camera, the button does not break when used as intended.

Since the other higher price models in the line use the same shutter control switches it makes little sense to assume a D400 will be designed to handle the unintended use of the underwater case. I was in an electronics supply house recently and noticed their stock included a variety of submersible push and rotary switches that mount through a panel with compression seals. Simple and permanent solution. Total cost including switch, wire and a remote cable connector less than $20. Designing and machining or casting a new metal button cap and shaft, which likely would not overcome the problem of a bad housing design would be more than the price of the camera.
There is a fundamental flaw in trying to propose a solution before a mechanism of fault has been determined. Just what IS the problem that the housing introduces. Angle, alignment of actuation vector force, pressure multiplication, impact or impulse etc? Whatever it is, the housing clearly attempts to use the camera in ways that it was not intended or designed for.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Sun 20-Jun-10 05:23 AM
#29. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 27

Tamuning, US

The D400s would actually replace my D200s which shoot fast enough for pro use, not the D90s. Using the D90 is kind of an interim thing for me and I know the housing and they way I use the housing is the problem, but a tougher release would be the cheapest and fastest solution for me. Thanks for the input.

Best,

Tim

kentuckienne Registered since 15th May 2010Mon 21-Jun-10 09:20 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 29

US

Your question intrigued me from a gear-maker point of view. It looks like the actuator is pressing the button with uneven pressure which stresses the stem until it breaks. I think it might be repairable if you are careful.

It would be helpful to look at an image of the current button so you can see how long the stem extends into the camera. From your pictures, it looks like there is a piece of broken-off stem left in the camera body. Can you use a tiny jeweler's drill - you can get manual ones which would be easier to control so you don't drill into some component of the camera - and drill a tiny, tiny hole into the part of the stem that is inside the camera? Then you could epoxy a replacement button and stem in place. This could even be something crude like a stainless steel tack with the point cut down to the right length.

To even out the pressure so that the stem doesn't continue to flex and break, you might try something as simple a piece of gel from a shoe insert or a blister-cushioning bandaid. If you put this on the waterproof box instead of on the camera button it might be less stressful on the button and allow you to try out different materials such as the closed-cell foam used in sleeping pads and flexible drink coasters. You might also try a small piece of artificial cork.

If that small dot on the photo is the actual contact inside the camera the drill thing won't work. I can't tell exactly where the button attaches from that photo. Let us know what finally works!

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Mon 21-Jun-10 10:43 PM
#32. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 31

Tamuning, US

I have tried super glue actually. In the photo shown earlier in this thread, the white thing in the middle is the plastic stem. There is a silver button on top of that. When both broke, there was little of the stem on either of the buttons. There is very little space between the end of the housing actuation arm and the button and the housing does have a small rubber tip on the arm. I did try a couple of things but it is difficult as the on-off mechanism is also surrounding the actuation area.

I've sent the cameras to Nikon for repair and I see if they have any sort of solution. If not, I'll probably try adjusting the actuation arm on the housing slightly for a perfect hit in the center of the button.

I've used this compny's housings for 25 years and never had any sort of problem like this. In a week I regularly shoot 25,000 images underwater with my D200s when on assignment (then I edit for 2 weeks!!). So it would be a simpler fix for me to get a tougher button.

I won't keep this housing for much longer so I don't want to screw with it other than a slight bend to the actuation arm. And I doubt I'll even be shooting D90s much longer. I was just hoping someone out there would know of a wizard who had come up with a Titanium button/shaft assembly to toughen up the D90s while I have them around.

Seems not. I get a lot of fix it ideas but no one responding about the actual question, which is a search for a tougher shutter release head and shaft for a D90. So I guess that widget doesn't exist.

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know if my manipulation of the housing arm does anything.

Best,

Tim

kentuckienne Registered since 15th May 2010Mon 21-Jun-10 11:30 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 32

US

Yeah, that's the problem with unusual problems - it isn't cost effective to fix them with a mass-produced solution. Most of the D90 cameras, the vast vast majority, will never have this problem because the user is pressing the shutter release button manually and not exerting enough shear force to break the button stem. So no manufacturer will make a replacement button, because how many would they sell? Three?

It's a perfect do-it-yourself situation, though. I bet there are any number of repairs that would get you through. I still think some kind of roofing nail or tack could be modified to function as a shutter release, if there were a way to attach it. There's always the chance that a stronger shutter button shaft would damage the camera inside, though: what if a strong shaft translated a sideways shear force to some other fitting on the inside so that it got broken as well? It's good to keep the weakest link on the outside of the camera, where if it breaks you can see it and fix it without having to disassemble the camera body.

Superglue is not the best adhesive for what you want. There are some better adhesives, such as Locktite, or a thick epoxy, that would hold better. Superglue is fast setting, but is not a strong material, so it is subject to shearing and to pulling loose from the plastic materials.

McMaster-Carr has a great catalog of materials for all sorts of fabrication and modification work. They aren't cheap, but they sell almost anything, in small quantities. Good luck with your camera repair...

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Mon 21-Jun-10 11:39 PM
#34. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 33

Tamuning, US

Thank you Kentuckienne!! I'll reference those and if, gawd forbid, I manage to break one more, I'll go for the real deal bond.

Great help.

Best,

T

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Tue 22-Jun-10 12:06 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 34

US

trock,

Why not buy a remote release cord, like the Nikon MC-DC2, and wire it up so the shutter button on the enclosure trips the shutter that way instead of pressing down on the actual shutter button?

Scott

The important thing is never to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein

It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -Thomas Paine

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Tue 22-Jun-10 12:18 AM
#36. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 35

Tamuning, US

I have one for the D200 housing but this D90 housing requires an adjustment internally I don't want to make.

Best,

T

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Tue 22-Jun-10 12:45 AM
#37. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 36

US

So you would rather break shutter buttons and have to send the cameras in to get fixed?? Does that make a lot of sense?

Scott

The important thing is never to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein

It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -Thomas Paine

trock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2007Tue 22-Jun-10 12:50 AM
#38. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 37
Tue 22-Jun-10 12:58 AM by trock

Tamuning, US

It affects the way I use dual lighting to rewire the housing.

Not a solution in this case.

Would be a solution if the D200 was a problem. But it is not.

Of course I would rather not break any buttons. I am sure you understand that.

Again, my question: Does anyone know of a tougher shutter release head and shaft for a D90.

Best,

T

nikonkidf3 Registered since 28th Aug 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 04:12 PM
#40. "RE: Shutter Button Breaks"
In response to Reply # 38

US

Hello all!

I am now an unhappy member of the broken D90 shutter button club. The surge in Key Largo threw me into a coral head as I was pressing the shutter release lever on my AD90 enclosure.

Looking at the plastic shaft under the button, I realized I could have a replacement made up out of stainless steel at a local machine shop. I ordered a replacement button and power switch assembly off of ebay so that my machinist can see exactly what the item should look like as it fits into the power switch ring.

Anybody want to go in on this? I don't know how much it will cost, but it shouldn't be much, $10 US or so? Should be easy to turn on a lathe, and if there are enough people interested, I can have the part made on a digital lathe so that many copies can be knocked out quickly.

Not looking to make _any_ money here, just trying to help others solve a problem that really shouldn't exist!

Willis

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #239938 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.