Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #232439
View in linear mode

Subject: "wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!..." Previous topic | Next topic
WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 03:36 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"

Houston, US

hey guys so lately I have been wanting to get into photography and now I want to start doing something about it... I was wondering what you guys though of starting with a Nikon D90 with a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens...

what do you guys suggest for me to do since I know nothing at all! no acronyms, dont know what anything means... where should I start? I really want to learn.

I know that camera and lens will be expensive but I was wondering what you guys thought about refurbished cameras. or where I can get a good deal on that d90 kit. i saw a few refurbished on amazon but i don't know if they are reliable sources.

any help would be appreciated!

-Franklin

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anyth...
jrnystrom
29th Apr 2009
WTB_D90
29th Apr 2009
James23p Moderator
29th Apr 2009
WTB_D90
29th Apr 2009
James23p Moderator
29th Apr 2009
WTB_D90
29th Apr 2009
James23p Moderator
29th Apr 2009
WTB_D90
29th Apr 2009
pafindr Gold Member
29th Apr 2009
MEMcD Moderator
29th Apr 2009
pafindr Gold Member
29th Apr 2009
madcox
29th Apr 2009
WTB_D90
29th Apr 2009
km6xz Moderator
29th Apr 2009
WTB_D90
30th Apr 2009
pafindr Gold Member
30th Apr 2009
WTB_D90
30th Apr 2009
pafindr Gold Member
30th Apr 2009
WTB_D90
01st May 2009
IanCT
01st May 2009
WTB_D90
01st May 2009
IanCT
01st May 2009
WTB_D90
01st May 2009
IanCT
01st May 2009
WTB_D90
01st May 2009
pafindr Gold Member
01st May 2009
WTB_D90
01st May 2009
IanCT
01st May 2009
WTB_D90
01st May 2009
pafindr Gold Member
01st May 2009
IanCT
01st May 2009
WTB_D90
01st May 2009
IanCT
01st May 2009
WTB_D90
02nd May 2009
IanCT
02nd May 2009
WTB_D90
02nd May 2009
audiopropa
03rd May 2009
HpyCampin
02nd May 2009
WTB_D90
02nd May 2009
pafindr Gold Member
02nd May 2009
dave2112
02nd May 2009
WTB_D90
03rd May 2009
IanCT
03rd May 2009
dave2112
03rd May 2009
WTB_D90
03rd May 2009
IanCT
03rd May 2009
dave2112
03rd May 2009
avigar Silver Member
03rd May 2009
WTB_D90
03rd May 2009
Submariner Silver Member
03rd May 2009

jrnystrom Registered since 18th Apr 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 03:56 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 29-Apr-09 03:59 AM by jrnystrom

US

I have seen others talk about Robert's Cameras refurbished D90 Nikons A LOT! They seem very happy about Robert's. I personally have had issues with refurbished computers (Dell) so I stayed away and bought the kit new (that is just me though) if you have never had issues go for it. But the deal ends April 30th, I think.

I also was looking at good lenses when I was thinking of just buying the body and a lens. The 50mm is a great lens from what I read and at a great price. So good I bought one for myself for indoor shots. It is in the mail (I can not wait).

In addition, I bought a 55-200mm nikon lens for the shear length and good write ups I was surprised by its price, around $224! So that is an option as well. I figured this will be my walk around lens.

Good luck, Im just getting back into photography myself. I use to have a nikon in the 90s and loved it! I hated giving it up! Now I cant wait for my D90 to arrive.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 04:10 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Houston, US

what is the 55-200mm lens usually used for and what it's good for?

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 29-Apr-09 04:17 AM
9112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 29-Apr-09 04:18 AM by James23p

Memphis, US

55-200 AF-S DX is a nice lens for shots of the kids on the play ground, slower paced outdoor sports like kids soccer but in good light, it would be not as useful under the lights of a HS field. I did some HS soccer pics that came out very nice with this lens as long as you can move up and down the field.

Another good use is zoo shots and general walk about lens paired with a 18-55 lens.

All in all it is a fairly sharp consumer grade lens with nice color and price. Plus being small it is easy to store. It would be a very nice started to give more reach over a standard zoom like the 18-55 or 18-70 lens. But I usually tell people if the Nikkor 70-300 Af-S ED VR lens is in your budget gett this lens the VR is super, the extra 100mm is always a plus and the lens is super sharp and the price is great for all you get in this lens.

One more thing the 50 f1.8D is one super sharp lens but it is not very wide on the D90, I would consider adding a standard zoom like the 18-55DX VR this will give you the ability to shoot landscapes and get a wide angle view.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 04:34 AM
#4. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

Houston, US

I'm quite on a budget. right now sadly I dont have any money saved up to purchase the D90 kit with the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens...
I will probably have it in a month or so, maybe a little after...

I was wondering since the D90 kit already comes with a lens would you put the 50mm 1.8 under it or something or take off the lens it already came with...

also Jim, since you said to get the 18-55DX VR would I put it on top of the 50mm 1.8 or how does this all work together?

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 29-Apr-09 04:48 AM
9112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 29-Apr-09 04:49 AM by James23p

Memphis, US

On a DSLR(digital single lens reflex) the lens come off. So you would take off the 50 and then place the 18-55 on the camera. If I had a choice to start with on the D90 I would first go with the 18-55DX kit lens it is more versatile. The 50 is great lens but right now I think you will get more use from the 18-55 lens.

So the great part is if you owned a d90 with a 18-55, 55-200 and 50 lens you could swap them out as your shooting style changes. The 18-55mm lens zooms in and out so you get more views from the same spot. The 50 is only a 50 so the zoom is your feet. Does that make sense?

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 05:00 AM
#6. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 29-Apr-09 05:05 AM by WTB_D90

Houston, US

pm sent

so I think your saying rather than getting the 50mm 1.8 I should get the 18-55 3.5-5.6?

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 29-Apr-09 05:11 AM
#7. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 29-Apr-09 05:35 AM by James23p

Memphis, US

In the PM you sent me the lens that comes with the D90 is even more versatile than the 18-55DX. Read my PM but a D90 with a 18-105VR is a nice starter and besides adding a SD memory card(2 gig at least) and a bag to protect your D90 I think you have all you need to get started and learn.

One thing I always warn never buy everything first since you may not like photography or you may decide you like sports photography or super wide photography so get the basic kit you PM'd me and then learn what style you like then buy as you develope skill and a true enjoyment. As you can tell photography is not cheap.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 05:15 AM
#8. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Houston, US

I agree with you every last bit on the just use what it comes with...

I see it's not so cheap haha thank you very much Jim. I will talk to you through the Pm's... anyone else is welcomed to give their two cents as well!

pafindr Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 05:40 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I would go with the kit lens like the 18-105mm or the 18-200mm since you are starting out. Either of these lenses will help you figure out what type of photography you enjoy doing.
If you buy a 50mm lens and you figure out that you want to take shots at a kids ball game, wildlife, or any other distance shooting you won't be able to get close enough to the action and you'll get frustrated.

A refurbished D90 with a 18-105mm lens goes for $1000 at Adorama
http://www.adorama.com/INKD90KR.html?kbid=64628&searchinfo=d90

You'll also need a memory card. I use Transcend 4GB Class 6 and they sell for $13.
http://www.adorama.com/TSSD6HC4G.html?kbid=64628

Hector

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 29-Apr-09 05:55 AM
25010 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Franklin,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As stated above, if you are just starting out, it is hard to go wrong with the kit lens. The 18-105mm kit lens provides a longer range than the 18-55mm, thus provideing more versitility.
The D90 will provide a lot of room for you to grow into photography.
Get Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, a great book to get you up and running. Also read the Articles at the following link: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/
You will find information on most subjects in photography covered.
After you read the articles, if you have any questions on what you read, just post a question and many will chime in to explain it.
Here are some links to well known retailers:
1. www.adorama.com?kbid=64628
2. www.bhphoto.com
3. www.centralcamera.com
4. www.robertsimageing.com
5. www.calumetphoto.com
6. www.berger-bros.com
You can't go wrong dealing with any of the above Nikon Authorized Dealers.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

pafindr Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 07:08 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>> "Get Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, a great book to get you up and running. Also read the Articles at the following link: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/ "

A great book to get.
It's an easy read and very easy to understand.
It'll help greatly with understanding how ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture, and lighting need to work together to get great photos.

Hector

madcox Registered since 28th Apr 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 08:24 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

Constanta, RO

I also started very soon with photography, and i have a D70 and i purchased a 18-55 lens. I am very happy with those lens. Is true that I can't make photos at a big zoom, but at closer subject is excellent. The price is excellent too.
I will never buy lens like 18-200 because is a big compromise. I rather buy 2 different lenses like 18-55 and 55-200. I recomend you to buy a D90 or D80 body and a 18-55 for begining...and make thousands of photos. And offcourse read the camera manual. Is very important. Don't go in a hurry with learn everything from the start. Experience will teach you everything.
Good luck.

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 01:07 PM
#13. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Houston, US

You guys ROCK!!! man you are all the best help I have gotten! thanks a lot! you have no idea how much I appreciate it! I see I will be going with the D90 kit which comes with the 18-105mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 DX lens so I can have a wide variety of choices for picture taking. I am waiting on a reply from Jim, and see whether another lens will come into the picture, or if the 18-105mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 DX will do just fine in sunset photography. I don't know whether it is sharp enough for low light...

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 07:06 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 13

St Petersburg, RU

Luckily, as you save up the money, you have enough time to read every book on light, color and and human visual perception, and then the books on photography in the library before you get your camera. That background is free and prepares you to understand the concepts involved with photography. Don't focus(yikes a poor pun) on buzz words or products, just theory of how light works and how we perceive images. After that, all the buzz words will fall into place. Most people do not progress very quickly or far because they skip the foundation part and go directly to operation of hardware instead of light.

When you save $1000 go get a D90 with the 18-105VR kit lens there is really nothing more versatile or as sharp for such a low price. It is a light weight lens with a plastic mount but it works very well. With that range you can explore a lot of different styles of making photos and you will find yourself gravitating towards one or two types more than any others. Only then will you know what sort of lenses and lighting you need. Getting a decent flash unit will further extend your options. A SB600 is a good choice as a good match in range for the 18-105VR.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Thu 30-Apr-09 03:14 AM
#15. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 14

Houston, US

For what level photographer is the D90 made for? I want to get a camera that I will not have to upgrade to soon to feel like a waste of my money... I am sure you know what I mean?

pafindr Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 30-Apr-09 04:33 AM
#16. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 15

US

I have seen users at different levels use the D90.
It's great for beginner's through advanced. I have a friend who's a pro that has one as a backup. He normally uses a D3 and a D300.
The D90 will serve you very well for a while. I personally was going to go to the D300 but it was out of my price range.

Hector

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Thu 30-Apr-09 01:16 PM
#17. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 16

Houston, US

sweet thanks! I really hope I can keep the same camera for a while as I am about to get into a 4 year university and wouldn't want to spend more money down the road when it might be hard already..

pafindr Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 30-Apr-09 09:02 PM
#18. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 17

US

The D90 can definitely serve you well through school.

Unfortunately you may begin to suffer from "NAS" (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome). You may wind up buying a few more lenses, a speed light or two, but don't worry we'll be here to help you..... spend your money ;p

Hector

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Fri 01-May-09 01:47 AM
#19. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 18

Houston, US

>The D90 can definitely serve you well through school.
>
>Unfortunately you may begin to suffer from "NAS"
>(Nikon Acquisition Syndrome). You may wind up buying a few
>more lenses, a speed light or two, but don't worry we'll be
>here to help you..... spend your money ;p
>
>

ahaha Funny guy! =] appreciate the humor! =]

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Fri 01-May-09 02:28 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 12

SF Bay, US

>I will never buy lens like 18-200 because is a big compromise.
>I rather buy 2 different lenses like 18-55 and 55-200.

I respectfully disagree - it's personal preference of course, but having both the 18-55mm and 55-200mm is a compromise IMO, having to switch lenses during a crucial moment can often times make you miss the shot.

Personally speaking, I did buy the 18-200mm VR when I got my D80 so I would avoid having to do this and I haven't looked back. The only downside is the price if you buy the 18-200 new.

Since then I've added a 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.8D and they are great lenses.

Some wedding photos I shot last weekend were taken with the 18-200mm outdoors and 50mm indoors (mostly, a few taken with the zoom)
here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianthurston/sets/72157617375662500/
SB-600 used for all shots.

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Fri 01-May-09 02:46 AM
#21. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 20

Houston, US

Hey guys I have a question.
why is it that on bestbuy.com they have the D90 lens kit for 1299.99
but when I go to adorama.com they have the same camera with the lens, a bag, 4gig sd, card reader, and spare battery for 1208.

am I missing something that is different since the adorama is so cheaper but it has many more things? as to compared to only lens and body at best buy?

thanks again guys!

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Fri 01-May-09 02:52 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 21

SF Bay, US

Best Buy is not exactly the place to shop for DSLR equipment if you're bargain hunting. I don't think they know how to set their retail prices on them.

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Fri 01-May-09 03:04 AM
#23. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 22

Houston, US

So there is no difference in the camera and lens? Adorama's doesn't have anything different or quality difference in any way. or refurbished?

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Fri 01-May-09 03:16 AM
#24. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 23

SF Bay, US

Being refurbished would definitely affect the price, but they would have to state that fact on the product listing. Best Buy does not sell refurbished D90's, but you could find an Open Box bargain but I wouldn't trust it - who knows what the previous buyer did to it, and you know Best Buy doesn't thoroughly inspect the items when they take them back. If someone buys an Open Box item only to find out it's busted, they'll return it to BB and get their money back.

You don't just buy a D90 only to return it later.

I believe Best Buy sells the D90 with the 18-105mm lens, which should be identical to the one offered by Adorama.

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Fri 01-May-09 04:01 AM
#25. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 24

Houston, US

so it's the same thing, but the Adorama is the best deal hands down?

pafindr Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 01-May-09 01:23 PM
#26. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 25

US

If you post the link to the Adorama site we can see what the difference is. It could be that it's a gray market package.
With gray market there is no U.S. warranty.

Hector

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Fri 01-May-09 01:33 PM
#27. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 26

Houston, US

This is the Link

http://www.adorama.com/INKD90KA.html?kbid=64628&searchinfo=nikon+d90

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Fri 01-May-09 05:08 PM
#28. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 27

SF Bay, US

Note that they're cutting at least one corner by putting some cheaper quality items in the kit. ie "Adorama EN-EL3E Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Pack for the Nikon EN-EL3e", not a genuine Nikon EN-EL3E battery.

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Fri 01-May-09 06:24 PM
#29. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 28

Houston, US

I just called asking about if it came with the Nikon Battery and he said yes, and then the extra Adorama one. I spoke to Norman I believe. Not such great service as I was expecting as he hung up on me... =/

pafindr Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 01-May-09 06:46 PM
#30. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 28

US

I don't know how good a non-Nikon battery is. Hopefully someone with that experience can respond and explain a little about them.

If you're still interested in a refurbished D90 you can get everything on that deal separately for $1057.80
I've never had experience with a refurbished kit but others on this site have given them good comments.

D90 body and 18-105mm lens kit Refurbished $999.95
http://www.adorama.com/INKD90KR.html?kbid=64628&searchinfo=d90

Lowepro Rezo TLZ-20 Holster-style Bag $34.95
http://www.adorama.com/LPRZTLZ20BK.html?kbid=64628

Kingston Technology USB 2.0 Hi-Speed 9-in-1 Memory Card Reader $9.95
http://www.adorama.com/KG91R.html?kbid=64628

Transcend 4 GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Class 6 Memory Card $12.95 (this card is a little faster than the one in the Adorama kit)
http://www.adorama.com/TSSD6HC4G.html?kbid=64628

Hector

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Fri 01-May-09 06:51 PM
#31. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 30

SF Bay, US

In terms of quality it depends on who actually makes the battery but because of computer chips and specific standards that a battery needs to meet, I always go with the manufacturers brand. Especially if you have a $1,000+ piece of equipment, do you really want to save $30 to $50 on a cheaper quality battery that may or may not screw up your camera?

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Fri 01-May-09 10:00 PM
#32. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 31

Houston, US

so it is not recommended for me to use that Adorama spare battery?
the one that comes with it is the actual Nikon one, but the spare
is the Adorama battery.

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Fri 01-May-09 10:03 PM
#33. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 32

SF Bay, US

It's up to you, and I'm sure the battery is fine but I personally wouldn't use an aftermarket battery. I think you may be reading too much into finding the "best bargain" so to speak, and whether or not you need specific equipment. Do what you feel is right after learning what your current needs are. You'll always find that you'll want bigger and better and maybe you need it, or like many others (myself included) maybe you just simply want it.

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Sat 02-May-09 02:26 AM
#34. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 33

Houston, US

haha so I see that I am getting the D90 camera. I just wanted to do some research on things and I see that this camera is really good. I am happy with my choice! now all I have to do is gather some money for it! =] was hoping I could get some money together from graduation gifts but I didn't get much lol...

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Sat 02-May-09 02:39 AM
#35. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 34

SF Bay, US

I wound up selling stuff on eBay that I hardly (or never) used anymore to get my D80 and 18-200mm.

Get the camera, take lots of shots, and you'll soon figure out through the course at looking at your photos, comparing them to others, and figuring out what flash, lens, filter or other piece of equipment someone else used to get the kind of exposure you are trying to achieve. I've learned a lot in the last year and I'm still learning every day. Consider joining Nikonians, the $25/yr is well worth the access to the plethora of knowledge on these forums.

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Sat 02-May-09 03:22 AM
#36. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 35

Houston, US

that time alone that I just joined is well worth the fee! I wish I had the money to do so... hopefully later on after I get my camera and have some free money. until then I'll use the basic... =]

audiopropa Registered since 03rd May 2009Sun 03-May-09 07:40 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

US

>>> "Get Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson,
>a great book to get you up and running. Also read the Articles
>at the following link:
>http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/ "
>
>A great book to get.
>It's an easy read and very easy to understand.
>It'll help greatly with understanding how ISO, Shutter speed,
>Aperture, and lighting need to work together to get great
>photos.

And if you want to perfect your photography abilities, I recommend New York Institute of Photograghy.
http://www.nyip.com/info/photography.html
Happy shooting,
Tom

HpyCampin Registered since 07th Oct 2007Sat 02-May-09 10:55 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Fairfield, US

i had picked up a refurbished D50 from B & H 2 years ago cheap. They sent it back to Nikon for factory service. It was an excellent deal, and i dont regret it. I have a photo on exhibit in a museum with a shot i took in london with that refurb d50 and 18-135 lens.

I wouldnt deal with anyone other than B&H or Adorama...i'm sure there are other reptuable sellers out there...but those are my two. RE: Customer service... these stores are EXTREMELY busy...if you've ever visited one in NY you would understand...they answer the question, then move on...no small talk...they field hundreds of calls and thousands of customers every day.

Check out PPSOP.com It's Bryan Peterson's Perfect Picture School of Photography...and online school. I saw someone already mentioned picking up his book...do that too..Understanding Exposure...then take a class...you will be shooting perfect exposures in no time. I've taken several classes there and its well worth the money. If you sign up for emails, every couple of weeks you get tips & tricks that help you out...

My suggestion, get the D90 with the kit lens until you know what your shooting medium will be. Do you want to do sweeping landscapes? Close up/Macro? Wide angle shots? the 18-200VR is an awesome lens which would cover you until you find your niche... then i would invest in quality fast glass that meets your shooting needs.

that's just my thoughts...

~Maura~

CT Nikonian
D-80

www.photographybymaura.com
www.flickr.com/photos/by_maura

When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, our World will know PEACE.

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Sat 02-May-09 03:37 PM
#38. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 37

Houston, US

>i had picked up a refurbished D50 from B & H 2 years ago
>cheap. They sent it back to Nikon for factory service. It
>was an excellent deal, and i dont regret it. I have a photo
>on exhibit in a museum with a shot i took in london with that
>refurb d50 and 18-135 lens.
>
>I wouldnt deal with anyone other than B&H or Adorama...i'm
>sure there are other reptuable sellers out there...but those
>are my two. RE: Customer service... these stores are
>EXTREMELY busy...if you've ever visited one in NY you would
>understand...they answer the question, then move on...no small
>talk...they field hundreds of calls and thousands of customers
>every day.
>
>Check out PPSOP.com It's Bryan Peterson's Perfect Picture
>School of Photography...and online school. I saw someone
>already mentioned picking up his book...do that
>too..Understanding Exposure...then take a class...you will be
>shooting perfect exposures in no time. I've taken several
>classes there and its well worth the money. If you sign up
>for emails, every couple of weeks you get tips & tricks
>that help you out...
>
>My suggestion, get the D90 with the kit lens until you know
>what your shooting medium will be. Do you want to do sweeping
>landscapes? Close up/Macro? Wide angle shots? the 18-200VR
>is an awesome lens which would cover you until you find your
>niche... then i would invest in quality fast glass that meets
>your shooting needs.
>
>that's just my thoughts...
>
>~Maura~
>
>CT Nikonian
>D-80
>
>www.photographybymaura.com
>www.flickr.com/photos/by_maura
>
>When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, our World
>will know PEACE.

What do you mean by a quality fast glass?

thank you very much for the other info!

pafindr Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 02-May-09 07:13 PM
#39. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 38
Sat 02-May-09 07:14 PM by pafindr

US

A "fast glass" has a smaller aperture number (f: number), the smaller the f: number the larger the aperture opening. Think of the aperture as the equivalent to your eye's iris. The larger the aperture opening the more light that can get in.

For instance the 50mm 1.8 lens you talked about in your first post, there is a 50mm 1.4 that is faster because it lets more light in. Lens speed is important in taking pictures in dim light and for controlling depth of field (DOF).

The only trouble is that you have to pay quite a bit more for the lens.
A 50mm 1.8 can be found for around $100
A 50mm 1.4 can run you around $350

Hector

dave2112 Registered since 23rd Oct 2008Sat 02-May-09 08:56 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 38

San Francisco, US

>What do you mean by a quality fast glass?
>

Fast glass generally means a lens with a large aperture (low number). The lower the number the faster the lens. I have a 50mm f/1.8 which is fast, sharp and cheap. It's probably my favorite lens. Because it's such a fast lens you can use more available light which means you are less likely to need a flash. Not that there is anything wrong with a flash, but you'll be happier with the results until you learn to master the flash (read the Hot Shoe Diaries by Joe McNally for the best advice on using a flash).

I didn't read through all the responses, so this may have come up already, but why don't you take a look at the new D5000 (assuming you haven't purchased a camera yet). It offers many of the features of the D90 but at a lower cost. I think it's also worth looking at the D40 or D60. I started with a D60, learned to shoot, then upgraded to the D90 later.

Last I checked Adorama had some deals on refurbished D90s, which is a screaming good deal. I buy most of my stuff from Amazon, but Adorama is pretty good as well.

Nikon D90 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-300 VR | 50mm f/1.8 | MB-D80 | GP-1 | SB-600

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Sun 03-May-09 02:18 AM
#41. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 40

Houston, US

well I was looking for a camera that I can use when I become more advanced and not have to buy other ones too soon down the road until I really need to for the bigger dollar ones! I also am really like the function of the auto focus that the camera has. =] Which I believe that the D40-60's don't have.

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Sun 03-May-09 03:16 AM
#42. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 41

SF Bay, US

I think you mean the ability to auto-focus non-AIS lenses, as the D40 - D60's do auto focus, but only with lenses that have the internal servo motor.

dave2112 Registered since 23rd Oct 2008Sun 03-May-09 03:23 AM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 42

San Francisco, US

Most lenses produced these days are AF-S which will work just fine with the D40/D60. You are correct though that the older non AF-S lenses will not auto focus on the D40/D60. I don't think they will auto focus on the D5000 either. Honestly, I think this is much less of an issue than you probably think. The D60 is a fine camera at a very good price. You would be quite happy for many years with it. You could take the money you save and put it toward some good AF-S glass. You'll probably get more mileage if you go that route. Plus, you'll have great lenses when you do finally upgrade. Just my $0.02.

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Sun 03-May-09 03:50 AM
#44. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 43

Houston, US

that is true! I love the d90 and have chosen to go with it just so I don't have to upgrade the body as soon. I feel like the deal on adorama is stupendous and can't pass it up.!

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Sun 03-May-09 04:16 AM
#45. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 43

SF Bay, US

Yep, the D5000 will only focus on AF-S.

I have a couple of non AF-S prime lenses which I purchased after I got my D80 - one of the (minor) reasons I bought it was for lens compatibility. A friend of mine (new to SLR) bought the D60 Gold and ordered separately a non AF-S lens and learned from experience what that means. He was however able to exchange it for an AF-S lens.

I agree though, it is much less of an issue than one would think.

The D5000 looks like a nice camera though but I would opt for the D90 if I were looking to buy.

dave2112 Registered since 23rd Oct 2008Sun 03-May-09 05:26 AM
#46. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 45

San Francisco, US

Yeah, I have to agree. If I were picking photography up for the first time I would be taking a close look at the D5000. Love my D90 though.

Here's the deal: you can't lose either way. Every camera we are discussing here is a winner. D40/60, D5000, D90; doesn't matter. Ultimately it's the photographer, not the camera. Nobody ever asked Shakespeare what kind of pen used, right?

Good luck with your new hobby! If you are anything like me you'll be enjoying Nikons for many, many years.

avigar Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2006Sun 03-May-09 07:50 AM
485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 46
Sun 03-May-09 07:53 AM by avigar

Northern IL, US

I would go with a used DSLR camera/lens kit for starters, especially since you're new to photography. This would minimize your investment loss in case you decide later that photography is not for you. Take time to learn the basics and practice what you read and learn from others. Once you gradually improve and hone your skills, then you can decide which camera and lenses to get that would suit your shooting style best.

WTB_D90 Registered since 29th Apr 2009Sun 03-May-09 01:39 PM
#49. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 48

Houston, US

Thanks every one for the replies... If any one wants to add anything it is still greatly appreciated!

Submariner Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009Sun 03-May-09 05:18 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#50. "RE: wanting to pick up photography, and dont know anything!!!!"
In response to Reply # 49

Lawrenceville, US

>Thanks every one for the replies... If any one wants to add
>anything it is still greatly appreciated!

Several people have mentioned Brian Peterson's book. But let me add the PhotoWorkshop.com series that you may want to consider. They have 7 or 8 books out, and with the exception of one specifically for another brand of DSLR, they are all brand independent.

The three I would specifically recommend are "Exposure", "Lighting", and "Composition", and particularly the first (Exposure.) These books are written for the beginner to the intermediate photographer. They are very thorough, and include examples of both "good" and "bad" photos, so you can see the difference, which helps in developing the skill of "seeing" what could be improved in a particular shot. They start from the very basics and work their way up. They are very detailed, and written in very clear, understandble language. What makes them, in my opinion, so very valuable are the assignments that they present to you at the end of every chapter. They give you the chance to perform what you have just read about, and that helps you "get the concept" first-hand.

I have personally taken online photo classes with "big names" in the photography industry, but based upon my experience, the classes are not always the most "bang for the buck" for beginners. The instructors more-or-less "fit" time in to their very busy schedules to look at student submissions, and make very "quick" replies to canned lessons that have been presented over and over. While helpful to experienced photographers, they are not always as helpful to beginners, because the instructor's time is so limited which prevents them from having the luxury of more detailed, personal reponses. (Unless, of course, the class is geared at the very basics, in which case, you're spending a lot for a professional's time, that might be better spent on more advanced topics.) Therefore, I find that these types of classes are more valuable once I have a particular subject well-practiced, and am looking for the benefit of an experienced professional on specific skills or problems.

The PhotoWorkshop books encourage you to upload assignments to their web site for critique, but I have found that the site is not very active in that regard. However, you can always post shots and questions to the Nikonians.org web site and expect lots and lots of help and critiques from people who have "been there and done that!" That's what makes this site so great.

The PhotoWorkshop books are available from local bookstores, as well as the online vendors, and I believe are some of the best available, and well worth the price.

These are my opinions of course... and your mileage may vary!

Hope that this is helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #232439 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.