nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #230601
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yikes what's with the price increases?!?" Previous topic | Next topic
Gastro Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Fri 13-Mar-09 08:41 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yikes what's with the price increases?!?"

US

Took me a while to come back to the boards, and this week finally upgraded to silver membership. Had a huge detour since I recently purchased a new Macbook and am converting over from the PC side (next project: deciding between Aperture vs Lightroom).

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on the across-the-board price increases on Nikon and 3rd-party items, especially lenses. I was planning to build upon my lens collection for my D90 this year but now it looks like I'll have to wait. Even the used prices on the seller's forum have gone up.

Damn the economy for stunting my NAS (not to mention 401K).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 13-Mar-09 09:42 PM
26995 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yikes what's with the price increases?!?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Chris,

Welcome back!
The exchange rate is the problem. The Yen is strong! The Dollar and Euro are weak!
The prices started creeping up about the middle of January and jumped up big time February 1st.
There were warnings of the price increase posted here. Many took advantage and purchased equipment to beat the price increase.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Gastro Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Fri 13-Mar-09 10:34 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yikes what's with the price increases?!?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I had heard rumours of hiking price rates, but my priorities the past couple months were for saving up for my new laptop. The question is will prices ever come back down? Stores should offer some sort of rebates to get rid of inventory, no? I should have grabbed a brand new SB 600 back when it was going for $180...

In any case, paying $25 for my Nikonians membership should be a good investment. It's good to be back.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 13-Mar-09 10:45 PM
26995 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yikes what's with the price increases?!?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Chris,

Many People seem to be purchasing new bodies and lenses despite the price increase! If sales slow we might see rebates but I would not count on it! Canon has raised their prices as well and I think most others have followed.
Talk about crazy; There have been posts that new old stock D70's were selling for $1500.00 and SB-800 have been seen going for over $700.00.
I don't know if they actually sold for those prices, but it makes you wonder!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 14-Mar-09 03:51 AM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Yikes what's with the price increases?!?"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

Prices won't be coming down until the exchange rate reverses. Most stores I know of are now carrying less inventory, partly because of the higher prices (thus any given amount of capital retains less stock) and because of the credit issues (thus reducing the amount of capital available to begin with).

It's worth pointing out that the yen/$ exchange rate has moved over 30% in the past 6-8 months. The Nikon prices only went up 10-20%. If the exchange rate moves some more, as it appears to be doing recently, there is likely to be another price hike.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #230601 Previous topic | Next topic