nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #228129
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your Preferred Settings, Onboard Flash D90" Previous topic | Next topic
RobCar Registered since 10th Feb 2006Sat 17-Jan-09 08:35 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your Preferred Settings, Onboard Flash D90"

Boulder, US

Hi,
I generally dislike the effects of flash and instead use a low-light lens, but I want to try to get some acceptable results without having to buy a separate speedlight. What settings do you generally use for flash shots of people?

What I'm not interested in is the super washed out look of full flash. Is there a way to keep it looking more natural?

I generally shoot in aperture priority. Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks --

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Your Preferred Settings, Onboard Flash D90
jaa999pa
17th Jan 2009
RobCar
17th Jan 2009
grosda
18th Jan 2009
jaa999pa
18th Jan 2009
grosda
18th Jan 2009

jaa999pa Registered since 16th Dec 2008Sat 17-Jan-09 08:47 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your Preferred Settings, Onboard Flash D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Havertown, US

Hi Rob,
I've been experimenting with the flash by backing off from full power. Try reducing the flash in 1/3 stop increments. Find a subject and try it at different settings. Noticeable difference, but it's still direct flash. It's not like having flash from the side and creating those soft shadows that you see in nice portraits though.

~John~

Visit My Flickr Stream

RobCar Registered since 10th Feb 2006Sat 17-Jan-09 09:10 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your Preferred Settings, Onboard Flash D90"
In response to Reply # 1

Boulder, US

John,
Thanks. That's the direction I'm interested in going. I've started in with backing it off and am liking it so far. Do you need to adjust the other settings (aperture, shutter) to compensate?

Rob

grosda Registered since 18th May 2006Sun 18-Jan-09 02:44 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your Preferred Settings, Onboard Flash D90"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Rob;

You can use the shutter speed and aperture to control how bright the background will be. In A Mode the camera is going to choose the 1/60s shutter speed when the flash is activated. However you can increase the brighness of the background by opening up the aperture. In S Mode you can choose various shutter speeds up to 1/200. Like adjusting the aperture you can influence how much the background is exposed.

Think of it this way: the flash is illuminating the subject, and the aperture and shutter are controlling the exposure of the background.

Practice with the various settings to see what you can get! And enjoy yourself while doing it!!

Dale G.
a Missouri Nikonian

My Nikonians Gallery
My Website

jaa999pa Registered since 16th Dec 2008Sun 18-Jan-09 05:35 AM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your Preferred Settings, Onboard Flash D90"
In response to Reply # 3

Havertown, US

Dale, i tried using shutter priority at 1/60 and then at 1/200. The background in this case was about 5 feet behind the subject. The background looks the same in both shots. But at the same time, i was about 5 feet from the subject when shooting.
Unless you are farther away from both the subject and background, it seems as though the flash is going to light everything just the same. I haven't tried moving back yet though...

~John~

Visit My Flickr Stream

grosda Registered since 18th May 2006Sun 18-Jan-09 07:28 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Your Preferred Settings, Onboard Flash D90"
In response to Reply # 4

US

John;

You answered the question yourself: "unless you are further away..."

Yes, if the background is within the range of the flash then it will be illuminated as well. I was thinking of situations where the background is deeper than the range of the flash. If you look at the chart on pg 266 of the D90 manual you will see that the range of onboard flash ranges from about 2 1/2 to almost 28 ft.

Keep experimenting!

Dale G.
a Missouri Nikonian

My Nikonians Gallery
My Website

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #228129 Previous topic | Next topic