Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #226514
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 f -- error" Previous topic | Next topic
a_L_p Registered since 17th Dec 2008Wed 17-Dec-08 02:53 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 f -- error"
Wed 17-Dec-08 02:54 PM by a_L_p

US

Hi,

I just recently purchased a D90, and a few times now I have gotten the blinking "f--" error. In reading through the manual I found that the error means a lens is not attached or a non CPU lens is attached. However, I do have a lens attached, the kit lens (AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm DX)

Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone know what might be causing this to happen?

Thanks..

Andy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 f -- error
waldo647 Gold Member
17th Dec 2008
eswrite
17th Dec 2008
louiecuarentas
18th Dec 2008
km6xz Moderator
16th Apr 2009
WhatAboutBob Gold Member
22nd Mar 2010
HpyCampin
17th Dec 2008
a_L_p
19th Dec 2008
Patnet
18th Mar 2010
Cindy Loyd
15th Apr 2009
lynngail Silver Member
24th Mar 2010
km6xz Moderator
24th Mar 2010
operknockity
24th Mar 2010
maquilina
26th Mar 2010
etph611
27th Mar 2010

waldo647 Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007Wed 17-Dec-08 03:55 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 0

SF Bay Area, US

>Hi,
>
>I just recently purchased a D90, and a few times now I have
>gotten the blinking "f--" error. In reading through
>the manual I found that the error means a lens is not attached
>or a non CPU lens is attached. However, I do have a lens
>attached, the kit lens (AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm DX)
>
>Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone know what
>might be causing this to happen?
>
>Thanks..
>
>Andy

Andy, my wife & I have seen this on our D80 and the D50, as well, with our Tamron lenses. The error description is accurate, the cause can be debated, but in simple terms, yes, it's a communication error between camera & lens.

There are several ways to take care of this. The easiest is to turn the camera off & back on again. If that doesn't do it, you can remove the lens and remount it. I've found even half a turn without completely removing the lens is enough.

One cause I've heard is that the contacts on the body and lens can develop a kind of varnishing quality over time which inhibits the connectivity. The antidote recommended is to use a pencil eraser and *very* carefully remove that varnish. Needless to say, great care should be taken not to allow any particles to get into the camera. Once every 6 months should be sufficient from what I hear. You might want to ask your dealer for help with this, if you're new to DSLRs.

The same eraser technique can be used on the hot shoe if the external flash connectivity needs some improvement. I haven't heard of this happening with a Nikon lens before. Usually they fit tighter, which might avoid this; however tighter lens do take longer to change.

Overall, this is not a big deal. I haven't had the error return on the D80. My wife has seen it only once (since using the eraser) on the D50, but turning the camera off and back on solved it. I think seasoned shooters may do this without even thinking about it.

Since the 1.11 firmware update, this error on the D80 stopped blinking and simply displayed. For what it's worth, I think I liked it blinking better.

Hope this helps!
- Chris

eswrite Registered since 03rd Jan 2008Wed 17-Dec-08 04:48 PM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Yes, though I never experienced it myself, I recall a lot of D80 discussions about the f-- error, mostly with the 18-135 kit lens, which like the VR18-105 is also a plastic-mount lens. Some were able to get around the issue by remounting the lens, others by cleaning the CPU contacts, and some had to pay a visit to Nikon service.

No issues for me with either the D80 or D90, but that doesn't help those who do have the problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
eNo
"Test everything, hold on to the good."
http://esuastegui.esmartweb.com/D80

louiecuarentas Registered since 09th Dec 2008Thu 18-Dec-08 02:11 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 2

BM

I haven't had a chance to read posts about the D90 f--error..I wish I had...I have sent the camera body to Nikon and lens I have on this camera to Sigma (18-200mm) for service. I noticed the f--error while the camera was at rest on the table..I did check to see what's going on only to find out that the plastics on the connector pins on both the lens and body melted due to overheating..short circuit maybe due to the lens rotated a bit w/o me noticing it..But I am pretty sure, it was locked properly..Nikon and Sigma covered the damage under the warranty..

But I cried for the $147 shipping I paid to send them off. I don't think it's fair.I could have spend that for a decent flash, just add few bucks maybe...BTW, this is my first DSLR...(=

Thanks for this website...it is an excellent database for all Nikon thing...

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 16-Apr-09 05:02 AM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 1

St Petersburg, RU

Pencil eraser is very abrasive and the gold alloy plating on the contacts will wear off eventually making the original oxidation problem much worse. The oxidation layer is only a few molecules thick so taking an abrasive to the surface is overkill.

A longer lasting and safer method to remove oxide is to use a chemical De-oxidizer available at any hi-fi shop. Do not confuse "Contact Cleaner" for de-oxidizer, contact cleaner is much too dry and will ruin contacts much faster than an eraser will. De-oxidizer's are not cleaners per se, they chemically react with oxides of metals to strip off the extra oxygen that attached to the alloy material that was combined with the gold to make longer lasting contacts, so it causes no wear. A tiny drop of De-Oxit, one effective form of de-oxidizer, will last 6-12 months. It comes in several types, one is D-5, recommended, and D-n-5 which is a faster drying version(for best effect it never needs to dry) but contains Naptha which will attack some types of plastic so do not use D-n-5.
This problem occurs mostly with lenses that stay on the camera without having the periodic rotating motion in mounting and unmounting the lens which keeps the oxide layer thin. Contacts that do not get exercised, in camera, stereos even light switches are most likely to be affected.
With plastic mount lenses, there is an addition cause, misalignment of the contact pins. The plastic mount lenses like the 18-105VR have a lot of necessary built-in slop in the fit. While in place it can be rotated a bit. rotating it slightly back and forth to re-seat the contacts will often take care of the problem and can be done instantly without changing your position while looking through the viewfinder.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

WhatAboutBob Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2009Mon 22-Mar-10 11:42 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 1

Georgetown, US

>The antidote recommended is to use a pencil eraser and *very* >carefully remove that varnish. Needless to say, great care should be >taken not to allow any particles to get into the camera.

Wow VuJaDe (use to live that nightmare) - when I worked for a computer company that made memory boards for Prime, DEC and Wang (before they took over the storage world), we used to tell our customers to use a pencil eraser to correct double-bit memory errors or tell them to reseat the memory card several time. Imagine the response when we told a customer to take a pencil eraser to their $25k 2MB memory module for their mini. I guess every machine crashes twice.

HpyCampin Registered since 07th Oct 2007Wed 17-Dec-08 07:34 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 0

Fairfield, US

give the lens a gentle clockwise twist to tighten the contact. should solve the problem.

~Maura~

CT Nikonian
D-80

www.flickr.com/photos/by_maura

When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, our World will know PEACE.

a_L_p Registered since 17th Dec 2008Fri 19-Dec-08 03:42 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for the advice everyone... Very helpful...

Thanks,
Andy

Patnet Registered since 07th Jan 2007Thu 18-Mar-10 07:49 AM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 3

Voorburg, NL

Hi Maura,
Yours was the first post I saw concerning the problem and the suggestion worked.
Thanks
Patrick

Cindy Loyd Registered since 07th Apr 2009Wed 15-Apr-09 10:59 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I just bought a new D90 a week ago Tuesday, and thought I was in love. It seems like a wonderful camera, but after four flawless days, I started having intermittent episodes of the camera freezing up with either the f-- code, the fEE code, or just refusing to communicate with the lens at all. Even if I switch to manual focus, sometimes it will refuse to take a picture. Turning the aperture dial has no effect on the aperture number when this happens. I've tried everything, from re-attaching the lens to turning the camera off, to changing lenses, to removing the battery, to green dot reset. I have a Tamron 18-270 lens, and was starting to think it was the lens, but now I've had the same thing happen with my Nikon 50mm 1.4 lens, and that lasted for about an hour, before I figured out how to turn the aperture ring to f22 to reset it. Sometimes I turn it off for a few minutes, turn it back on and it's working, and get 2 to 5 shots and then it quits again. Most frustrating. This is my third DSLR, and I never had anything like this happen before. Are Nikons really this delicate and finicky? You guys must miss a lot of shots.

Sometimes, about 30% of my shots fail to happen. When I get it working again, it might go for 2 shots, or 10, or 30, but eventually it quits again. I am reluctant to send it away for three weeks, because I hate being without a camera, but it's starting to look like I got a lemon. I have a one month trip to the Mediterranean this summer, and it will kill me if my camera misses 30 percent of the shots.

I guess this one's going back to the store. Maybe they'll just swap me a new one, so I don't have to wait for three weeks.

c

lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Wed 24-Mar-10 12:30 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 0

New York 10708, US

Just completed a workshop with Mike Hagen where this was discussed. Take the lens off and clean the contacts with an eraser. Hope it works.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 24-Mar-10 05:41 PM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 10

St Petersburg, RU

Please don't pass that rumor around, pencil or worse, ink eraser much too abrasive for contacts. The contacts are not dirty, they are oxidized which requires no removal of metal to de-oxidize. An eraser will score and scratch the contact surfaces, gouging out uneven microscopic chunks of contact plating, making oxidation worse in a few days and impairs conduction between the two contact halves. Use a de-oxidizer chemical, not abrasion or "contact cleaner" which is too dry of a solvent so it creates a larger more serious oxidation problem in short order.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

operknockity Registered since 07th Jan 2010Wed 24-Mar-10 07:29 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed 24-Mar-10 07:30 PM by operknockity

Los Angeles, US

>Just completed a workshop with Mike Hagen where this was
>discussed. Take the lens off and clean the contacts with an
>eraser. Hope it works.

In the workshop I took with Mike last month, he just rubbed the contacts on the lens with his finger (and finger nail) and then remounted the lens.

I would think an eraser would be a bit too abrasive unless the contacts are extraordinarily dirty.

maquilina Registered since 03rd May 2009Fri 26-Mar-10 10:56 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 12

AU

I've also had this problem a number of times with my 18-105mm lens.

I turn off the camera and gently twist the lens and this solves the problem most of the time.

Sometimes I've had to remount the lens to solve the problem.

etph611 Registered since 06th Dec 2009Sat 27-Mar-10 08:14 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D90 f -- error"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Andy,
I had the same error. If the qentle twist doesnt work. Make sure the manual ring is still lined up with the default setting on the lens. If you twist it slightly while putting the lens on it will caused the error..

Let us know if it worked.
john

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #226514 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.