nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #226050
View in linear mode

Subject: "shutter speed" Previous topic | Next topic
sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Thu 11-Dec-08 06:42 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"shutter speed"

IT

Hello
I've got a nikon d80 how can you please tell me step by step how can i set the shutter speed manually?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: shutter speed
rob68
11th Dec 2008
edac
11th Dec 2008
sernio
11th Dec 2008
rob68
11th Dec 2008
sernio
11th Dec 2008
OMMBoy
11th Dec 2008
sernio
11th Dec 2008
zemlin
11th Dec 2008
sernio
11th Dec 2008
zemlin
11th Dec 2008
sernio
11th Dec 2008
OMMBoy
11th Dec 2008
michaelhager
11th Dec 2008
ColColt Gold Member
12th Dec 2008
archang3l378
12th Dec 2008
sernio
13th Dec 2008
sernio
14th Dec 2008
williakr
14th Dec 2008
archang3l378
17th Dec 2008
HpyCampin
17th Dec 2008
OMMBoy
17th Dec 2008
sernio
17th Dec 2008
OMMBoy
17th Dec 2008
sernio
19th Dec 2008
OMMBoy
19th Dec 2008
sernio
20th Dec 2008
ROD H Silver Member
22nd Dec 2008
gaelldew
22nd Dec 2008
sernio
22nd Dec 2008
OMMBoy
22nd Dec 2008
sernio
23rd Dec 2008
sernio
30th Dec 2008
gaelldew
30th Dec 2008
Flux101
30th Dec 2008
sernio
01st Jan 2009
OMMBoy
01st Jan 2009
sernio
02nd Jan 2009
OMMBoy
03rd Jan 2009
sernio
23rd Jan 2009
Douglas_FL
23rd Jan 2009
kenny1
24th Jan 2009
sernio
25th Jan 2009

rob68 Registered since 10th Jan 2008Thu 11-Dec-08 07:21 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 0

US

set top left dial to either "M" or "S"

then turn the command dial on the top right of the back of camera to set your shutter speed

edac Registered since 18th Jan 2007Thu 11-Dec-08 07:24 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 0

US

In "M" or "S" mode it can be set with the rear (Main Command Dial) dial. I would highly suggest that you get out the manual that came with your D80 and read through it thouroughly. If for some reason you do not have a manual, get a the "Magic Lantern Guide" for the D80, it is full of basic operation information. You can also download a manual from the Nikon site.

Thanks,
Mark

It's Good to be Gold!
Proudly Supporting Nikonians

http://www.klr-650.blogspot.com
---------------------------------
Not all those who wander are lost.

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Thu 11-Dec-08 07:40 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 2

IT

I'm tried setting the shutter speed using the command dial on the rear after setting it on 'S' but its changing the exposure not shutter speed (-5 to +5)

rob68 Registered since 10th Jan 2008Thu 11-Dec-08 07:54 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 11-Dec-08 07:57 PM by rob68

US

is the unit used or new? either way I would do a Full Reset. too many steps involved to change the settings on the dial

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Thu 11-Dec-08 07:59 PM
#5. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 4

IT

Is it necessary?
The problem is that when i set it on 's' and start rotating the top right dial it changes the exposure and shutter speeds respectivley dunno whats happening.

OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007Thu 11-Dec-08 08:26 PM
678 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 5

San Diego, US

What you're seeing is absolutely normal, and you will see similar behaviour when your camera is to to A (Aperture Priority, not Auto).

With the mode dial set to S (Shutter Priority), you're essentially telling the camera, "I want to use this shutter speed, but I will let you decide what aperture will render a properly exposed picture." If you dial the shutter speed up, the aperture number (f/number) should get smaller, and vice versa.

Hope this makes sense.

Chris

Runfola Photography Gallery

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Thu 11-Dec-08 08:58 PM
#7. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 6

IT

So basically when I set it to ''s'' and move the top corner dial left or right i will be changing the shutter speed and probably the aperture is automatically set by the camera itself, so the figures -5 to +5 what would those represent when set to shutter mode?

Thanyou for all your help

zemlin Basic MemberThu 11-Dec-08 09:13 PM
885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 7

Carmel, US

Are you holding down the little +/- button? DON'T DO THAT - That's exposure compensation. Just spin the little wheel without touching nuthin' else. That will change your shutter speed in S or M mode.

Karl Zemlin - www.sonicartistry.net
I couldn't pick a pocket in a pile of dirty clothes - Chris Smither

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Thu 11-Dec-08 09:27 PM
#9. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 8

IT

yeah you where right i was holding down that +/- button aswell, now i can see that the aperture is changing in the display. Also I usally like to play with flash shutter speeds of which it can result in outstanding results sometimes but sometimes the camera becomes too sensitive and alot of ghosting occurs resulting in blurry images, using a tripod corrects this problem even when setting at 30s
but is it possible to correct this problem dunno perhaps upgrading my stock flash or anything that might help?

Thanks again for your patience and fast responces!

zemlin Basic MemberThu 11-Dec-08 09:31 PM
885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 9

Carmel, US

I get the feeling there's a fair amount of guess work going on with your exposure settings. Before you spend any more money on gear, it sounds like you need to get a better handle on the fundementals of exposure and what it means.

Also, before you get into taking any more pictures, make sure you get your exposure compensation dialed back to ZERO. You won't like the results you get at +5 or -5.

Karl Zemlin - www.sonicartistry.net
I couldn't pick a pocket in a pile of dirty clothes - Chris Smither

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Thu 11-Dec-08 09:48 PM
#11. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu 11-Dec-08 09:49 PM by sernio

IT

Well 0 is not always my favourite value sometimes i play around from -2 to +2 depending the light conditions, though I'm still learning some basics before going a step higher, i appreciate your help thanks.

Anyway i'll charge my battrey take a couple of more shots and reply back cya

OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007Thu 11-Dec-08 10:31 PM
678 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu 11-Dec-08 10:32 PM by OMMBoy

San Diego, US

I agree with Karl's suggestion for you to "get a better handle on the fundementals of exposure and what it means." With that in mind, I recommend that you purchase Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. This book is perhaps the most recommended book here at Nikonians and will help you to better understand the correlation between exposure and shutter speed, especially if you follow the simple exercises outlined in the book.

To better understand the correlation between shutter speed and aperture, imagine a see-saw (or teeter-totter, or whatever it's called in your part of the world) with shutter speed sitting on one side and aperture on the other. If your shutter speed is slow (sitting on the ground), your aperture will be large (sitting up high). If you increase your shutter speed (raise it off the ground, your aperture will become smaller (move down close to the ground). You can never have both ends of the see-saw up high or on the ground simultaneously and expect a good exposure. Instead, you will get an image that is either all black or all white.

Hope this helps somewhat and that I didn't confuse you (or anyone else).

Chris

michaelhager Registered since 15th Feb 2007Thu 11-Dec-08 10:26 PM
2284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 9

Fountain Inn, US

>yeah you where right i was holding down that +/- button
>aswell, now i can see that the aperture is changing in the
>display. Also I usally like to play with flash shutter speeds
>of which it can result in outstanding results sometimes but
>sometimes the camera becomes too sensitive and alot of
>ghosting occurs resulting in blurry images, using a tripod
>corrects this problem even when setting at 30s
>but is it possible to correct this problem dunno perhaps
>upgrading my stock flash or anything that might help?
>
>Thanks again for your patience and fast responces!

The camera is not becoming too sensitive, you are dialing down to shutter speeds that will show motion blur or camera shake blur. 1/30 is about as low as most people can go and still hold still enough for a good shot.

The shutter speed with the flash should probably be a minimum of 1/60 but better to be around 1/150 or 1/200.

What is happening is at slow shutter speeds, the flash is freezing the scene with it's very short duration of light, but the shutter is staying open and is recording the movement of the camera. Yes a tripod stops camera shake, but it won't stop motion blur from moving subject.

The camera is acting exactly the way it is supposed to. But you need to read up on understanding exposure fully. There are some great books out, just visit any bookstore or library, or google "understanding exposure" and you will find some great books and a bunch of on line tutorials.

Once you start to understand exactly how image exposures work, you will understand what the camera is doing in the various settings. It is a fairly steep learning curve but once you start to get it you will have nothing but fun!

Good luck!

C. Michael Hager
Your most important piece of photo equipment is built into your face.
www.cmhager.com/Content/photo.shtml

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ColColt Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008Fri 12-Dec-08 01:20 AM
1219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 12

Knoxville, US

I'm one of those who read the instructions with a hair dryer if it has any and I've read the manual over and over in areas I was concerned about. It's a good idea to do a bit of reading again if necessary and I can't sing the praises enough about Thom Hogan's books-highly recommended.

My goal in life is to be the person my dog already thinks I am.

archang3l378 Registered since 13th Sep 2006Fri 12-Dec-08 07:32 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 14

US

I must have spent a few weeks to a month looking at the manual for my d80, reading up on stuff online, then going back to my d80 to try new stuff. I'm still learning a lot of things about the camera after having it for almost 2 years.

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Sat 13-Dec-08 05:39 PM
#16. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 15

IT

Hi, again guys
1. I was mistaken when i said i was holding +/- (exposure) whilst turning the top corner dial, I tried again setting the camera to ''s'' (shutter mode) but still when i rotate the dial the exposure changes and not the shutter speed, this is somehow strange, so far i didn't manage to change the shutter speed manually, the only way i was able to have it changed was setting the camera into ''auto'' where i noticed that the camera changed the shutter speed according to the target, what i did to test it was kind of weird but worked I pointed the camera to my monitor set at (120herz) with a frame benchmark running very fast, the result was a good sharp picture with no ghosting or what so ever @ 1/92 shutter speed.

2. I can't figure out why I can't manually change the shutter speed or if its better leaving it set to auto to let the camera decide whats better.

3. Also as i mentioned before I like setting the flash speed to 30s instead of 1/60s or less, as i noticed the quality between the two figures varies a lot in my opinion but i wondered if it could be possible to achieve same quality like set at 30s but whilst shooting moving objects.

Thankyou

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Sun 14-Dec-08 02:48 PM
#17. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 16

IT

anyone can tell me whats going on please?

williakr Registered since 14th Dec 2008Sun 14-Dec-08 02:59 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: shutter speed"

US

I am new to the D80 and new to photography really. I bought the camera cause I have a new born and I want to capture all his moments that I can. The problem that I'm having is similar to the shutter speed, when I'm in low light and I don't won't to use the flash because of shadows, the shutter speed creates a blurry image? What can I do to correct this issue?

archang3l378 Registered since 13th Sep 2006Wed 17-Dec-08 12:30 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: shutter speed"

US

When your camera is in shutter-priority mode and you turn the rear dial to change the shutter speed, which value from the viewfinder changes? The left number is the shutter speed and the middle number is the aperature.

What happens when you set the camera to Manual mode "M"? In this mode the front dial will change the aperature and the rear dial will change the shutter speed?

For your 3rd question, are you using the built-in flash? I actually rarely use the built-in flash, I use an SB-800. An external flash provides versatility

HpyCampin Registered since 07th Oct 2007Wed 17-Dec-08 02:01 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: shutter speed"

Fairfield, US

>Hi, again guys
>1. I was mistaken when i said i was holding +/- (exposure)
>whilst turning the top corner dial, I tried again setting the
>camera to ''s'' (shutter mode) but still when i rotate the
>dial the exposure changes and not the shutter speed, this is
>somehow strange, so far i didn't manage to change the shutter
>speed manually, the only way i was able to have it changed was
>setting the camera into ''auto'' where i noticed that the
>camera changed the shutter speed according to the target, what...
>>
>2>

Have your dials been reversed? Try resetting your dials. It sounds as if maybe Aperture is set on your rear master dial as opposed to the front dial (secondary)... This can be changed. If you were fooling around with settings without reading the manual, maybe you changed the SP and AP dials.

What is it that you are shooting at 30 seconds? Thats a long exposure.

By the way... i have a d50 that i still read the manual on, and always carry the d80 manual in my bag for reference.

Get the book Understanding Exposure. It will help you to shoot in full manual mode in no time.

Good luck.

~Maura~

CT Nikonian
D-80

www.flickr.com/photos/by_maura

When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, our World will know PEACE.

OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007Wed 17-Dec-08 04:32 AM
#21. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 20

San Diego, US

I had initially suspected that perhaps the buttons might have gotten reassigned somehow (I remembered reading something about it in the manual), but I wasn't certain and was probably misunderstanding sernio's issues. But after reading your suggestion, I'm really leaning towards your explanation, especially after going back and re-reading sernio's post about the rear dial adjusting the aperture. On the other hand, there are some inconsistencies as well, so I'm really not sure what is going on.

Sernio, please take a look at your camera and User's Guide and make sure you are referring to all the parts by their proper names. Also, go out and buy "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, which has been mentioned four times in this thread now (told you it was the most-recommended book here at Nikonians ).

Buona fortuna!

Chris

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Wed 17-Dec-08 09:22 PM
#22. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 21

IT

ok i will look at ''Understanding Exposure'' so do you finally suggest me to reset all setting? will that reset everything back to defualts?

OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007Wed 17-Dec-08 10:11 PM
#23. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 22

San Diego, US

Page 91 of your User's Manual describes how to reset all the custom settings to their default values. It also explains that CSM #15 lets you reverse the command and sub-command dials that control the aperture and shutter. Doing a complete reset is entirely up to you, but it may help to alleviate any future problems you may encounter.

Did you purchase the camera new or used?

Ciao,

Chris

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Fri 19-Dec-08 09:02 PM
#24. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 23

IT

used if you could tell me at least how to reverse the command button you could save me a lot of time until i get the manual cuz i just got the camera a few months ago

thanks

OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007Fri 19-Dec-08 09:36 PM
#25. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 24

San Diego, US

Hi, Sernio!

Go to Custom Setting Menu #15 (Command Dials) and select default.

I have a PDF copy of the D80 User's Manual on each of my computers and laptops, including my computers at work, in case I need to help somebody at Nikonians and don't happen to have my camera with me. You can view/download the D80 User Manual here.

Chris

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Sat 20-Dec-08 09:00 PM
#26. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 25

IT

thank you for your help

ROD H Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2007Mon 22-Dec-08 01:12 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 26

MELVILLE, US

Does anyone read the instruction manual or the many books that are available???????

gaelldew Registered since 12th Dec 2008Mon 22-Dec-08 08:55 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 27

UK

>Does anyone read the instruction manual or the many books
>that are available???????

I certainly do, purchased Thom Hogans D80 as well and have his "Nikon D80 to go book" in my camera bag also.

I do have my "Senior " moments.

http://gaelldew.zenfolio.com/

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Mon 22-Dec-08 09:15 PM
#29. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 25

IT

OMMBoy

Thankyou, thats what I was running after, and luckyly solved my problem.

OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007Mon 22-Dec-08 09:43 PM
#30. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 29

San Diego, US

You're quite welcome! It's always a pleasure when I'm able to help somebody!

Buon Natale!

Chris

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Tue 23-Dec-08 08:27 PM
#31. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 30

IT

Altre tanto e felice anno nuovo !

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Tue 30-Dec-08 09:03 PM
#32. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 31

IT

hi again

I've been looking through my manual trying to understand better how to setup my camera properly as you previously suggested, what i can't find though is a way to take multiple shots with one click, kind of ''movie like'' I'm sure there is an option to set that but i can't find again?

gaelldew Registered since 12th Dec 2008Tue 30-Dec-08 09:17 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 32

UK

Page 36 of the manual.

I do have my "Senior " moments.

http://gaelldew.zenfolio.com/

Flux101 Registered since 24th Aug 2007Tue 30-Dec-08 09:23 PM
204 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 32

Brantford, CA

Look in the manual under "Choosing a shooting mode" - page 36 of the english manual.

It the button to the right of the top LCD that looks like stacked rectangular boxes. Just press the button to cycle through the modes - you want, in the top right of the top LCD, the picture of the stacked boxes showing for continuous. You can also set it to single frame (a box with an S in it) self-timer, delayed remote release and quick-response remote release.

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Thu 01-Jan-09 06:11 PM
#35. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 34

IT

OK I tried that it worked fine, eventually that's how it was set but my problem seems to be related to the flash of which it doesn't seem to work in continues mode is that normal?

Also I was playing around with aperture mode as well but I was thinking if it was possible to set the shutter speed and aperture manually at the same time?

OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007Thu 01-Jan-09 07:10 PM
#36. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 35

San Diego, US

Happy New Year, Sernio!

Only Manual Mode allows you to set both the aperture and the shutter speed. Shutter Priority only lets you adjust the shutter speed, while Aperture Priority only lets you adjust the aperture size.

I've never used the built-in flash in Continuous Mode, so I wasn't sure about its capabilities (I've always used the SB-800). After playing around with the settings and all that, I was only able to get the flash to fire at the first exposure. This might have something to do with battery drain and was probably designed that way. There is an option, however, to set the built-in flash to Repeat Mode which lets you fire a series of flashes (strobe) in one exposure (CSM #22).

Chris

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Fri 02-Jan-09 09:54 PM
#37. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 36

IT

Happy New Year,OMMBoy and all your family
I managed to play around the aperture and shutter at the same time having to reverse command dials each time but worked what i've noticed about aperture is one thing the lower the aperture the sharper the image, and the object is in focus whilst setting it to high aperture results in a dark image and unfocused object. So if I may ask whats the use of a high aperture in normal conditions?

Thanks

OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007Sat 03-Jan-09 12:50 AM
#38. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 37
Sat 03-Jan-09 01:05 AM by OMMBoy

San Diego, US

Thank you, sernio! Happy New Year to you and your family, too!

When you say "high aperture" and "low aperture", do you mean "large aperture" (big hole) and "small aperture (small hole)? The physics involved with how aperture affects focus is really quite simple to understand. Let me demonstrate: make the "okay" sign with your thumb and index finger and hold it up to your eye. Stretch your other arm out in front of you and hold the index finger vertical. Now, looking through the hole created by the "okay" sign, focus on your finger and notice the background -- the blur is caused by a scattering of light rays and is referred to in optics as a "circle of confusion".

Now, keeping your eye focused on your finger, slowly make the hole smaller and notice how the background comes more and more into focus. By doing this, you are focusing the light rays onto one point, resulting in a sharper image. The demonstration you just performed involves the same physics as with your camera lens.

As to your question about when you would use either aperture size, that depends on what you're shooting and the type of effect you're trying to achieve. For portaits, it's common practice to blur the background so your subject becomes the main focal point. With a large aperture, this can be easily achieved. If you were to photograph somebody with a small aperture (say, f/32), the background would be in focus.

Smaller apertures are especially good for landscape photography or scenics, whilst while larger apertures are more suited to isolating the background (not only in portraits).

Chris

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Fri 23-Jan-09 08:40 PM
#39. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 38

IT

Hi again All

Hi Chris
I was reading some articles about shutter speeds and aperture differences so I came in doubt whether it would make any significant difference in quality and sharpness with shutter speeds from the highest to the lowest, what i can say is that I noticed that sometimes when using a tripod with long exposures & a low shutter speed created, very sharp images together with some motion blur in certain situations, from the other hand fast shutter speeds froze any movement or action but honestly I didn't notice real difference in quality.The reason I'm asking is that since a long exposure captures more detail I thought if it does in reality effect quality.

Also what would you suggest the recommended settings for shutter speed with a high aperture ? Or does it all depend from the situation?

Thanks

Douglas_FL Registered since 18th Jul 2008Fri 23-Jan-09 09:04 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 39

US

Its pretty much situational. A good book to pickup that will explain situations like this is called "Understanding Exposure". It is an excellent book that covers this question in a very indepth and detailed manner.

kenny1 Registered since 26th Aug 2007Sat 24-Jan-09 11:08 PM
296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

I have Understanding Exposure and as others have said, it's a good read. Another easier book to read is Scott Kelby's books, Digital Photography vol 1 & 2. They are so easy to read and I can assure you by the time you finish reading them you will be at one (almost) with your camera.

Ken,
Sydney Australia

sernio Registered since 11th Dec 2008Sun 25-Jan-09 06:50 PM
#42. "RE: shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 41

IT

ATM i'm reading Bryan Peterson's, Understanding Exposure, hence some stuff I need to test and make several shots to understand what I read and sometimes like I previously posted I have to ask hoping for a good answer.

Thanks again guys

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #226050 Previous topic | Next topic