Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #225278
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need help with D90 portrait settings" Previous topic | Next topic
boxerlover Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2006Tue 25-Nov-08 11:42 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need help with D90 portrait settings"

North Adams, US

We're traveling to GA to see our new month old grandchild, will only have two days and if there is anyone who has a D90 and has had success with photos of infants, I would so appreciate any tips. I'm taking my new D90, a 50 mm 1.8 lens and the 18-105 kit lens, traveling light. Right now, I have my portrait settings on Sharpening 5, Contrast +1, Brightness -1, Saturation +1 and 0 for Hue. Would standard or neutral be better? I usually shoot landscapes or macro and had a D80 prior to this and just don't have any babies or kids to practice on. I'm really wanting to spend time cuddling our new baby and not worrying about settings but I just have to get some good shots to take home, plus I really want to make a photo book for my son and d-i-l for Christmas. Leaving next week. Any help at all will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need help with D90 portrait settings
michael1778 Silver Member
26th Nov 2008
boxerlover Silver Member
26th Nov 2008
michaelhager
26th Nov 2008
boxerlover Silver Member
26th Nov 2008
Socrates Silver Member
26th Nov 2008
michaelhager
26th Nov 2008
LATENTA
26th Nov 2008
michaelhager
26th Nov 2008
michaelhager
26th Nov 2008
boxerlover Silver Member
27th Nov 2008

michael1778 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2006Wed 26-Nov-08 01:46 AM
905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need help with D90 portrait settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Clemmons, US

Personally, I take most contrast out my people images. At least at time of image capture. You can put contrast back in in post no matter if you shoor NEF or JPEG (I happen to shoot exclusively NEF). But the contrast value can drive the meter to do things to save highlights or you can burn highlights.

As to Portrait vs. Neutral Picture Controls....I hardly see much difference in my subjects. But I set the camera on Neutral almost all the time.

I hoep you get some other opinions here,
Michael

boxerlover Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2006Wed 26-Nov-08 02:40 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need help with D90 portrait settings"
In response to Reply # 1

North Adams, US

Thank you Michael, with your help, I'll try changing my contrast to 0. I just am hoping for advice from anyone who really feels they have had success with certain settings. There's nothing more difficult than wanting to get that special capture. Thanks for your advice. I do shoot JPEG at this point. Again, thanks. Betty

michaelhager Registered since 15th Feb 2007Wed 26-Nov-08 02:46 PM
2284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Need help with D90 portrait settings"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 26-Nov-08 02:48 PM by michaelhager

Fountain Inn, US

Shoot everything in RAW+JPG. That way if you don;t like the results you get out of the camera, you can fix everything in Post Processing.

Just concentrate on your exposure settings and lighting. Last month I did this very same thing. First grandchild, 2 months old. Fortunately I had a whole week with her!

2 weeks
D70s
17-55
SB800 TTL

2 months
D300
70-200VR
SB800 TTL/BL

C. Michael Hager
Your most important piece of photo equipment is built into your face.
www.cmhager.com/Content/photo.shtml

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

boxerlover Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2006Wed 26-Nov-08 04:06 PM
#4. "RE: Need help with D90 portrait settings"
In response to Reply # 3

North Adams, US

Thanks and what beautiful pictures, the first one is just so precious! I guess I will try RAW and JPEG, not very good at post processing, usually use Picasa, the freebie. Congratulations on your first grandchild. Betty

Socrates Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008Wed 26-Nov-08 04:37 PM
760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Need help with D90 portrait settings"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 26-Nov-08 04:41 PM by Socrates

US

For what it's worth, I'm absolutely lousy working with RAW. I was able to prove that fact by shooting JPG+RAW. I found that, with a mere two hours of excrutiating effort, I could modify a RAW file to look almost as good as the corresponding JPG that came right out of the camera!

I now shoot exclusively JPG. I do minor PP directly on the JPG. In the rare case when I'm intending to do extensive PP, I convert to PSD, do my work and convert back to JPG.

By the way, the upper-most shot of the B-17 had absolutely zero PP, not even cropping! The other shots were cropped but nothing else was done except that I did remove a piece of trash from the barbecue pit behind my grand-daughter.

michaelhager Registered since 15th Feb 2007Wed 26-Nov-08 06:04 PM
2284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Need help with D90 portrait settings"
In response to Reply # 5

Fountain Inn, US

A couple of things.
I know it costs a bit of money, but to properly process RAW files fro a Nikon camera, buy Capture NX2. All of the settings in the camera will be transferred with the RAW file and if you do nothing more than Save As, you will have exactly what the camera settings originally were. None of the other programs will do this 100% so tweaking and sweating may be your lot.

Second, I will be the first to say that if you get all your settings and exposures right in the camera n the first place, you will minimize or even eliminate Post Processing work. The Pumpkin picture above had no PP at all except a bit of cropping.

The black background had no settings processing but had a bit of Photoshop cloning to remove an unwanted sleeve.

The point of my original post was that if you are not sure of the settings you want to use, shooting RAW gives you the opportunity to apply them later. If you over contrast and over saturate a JPG only, you can certainly work with it in Photoshop but it will be much more difficult to do than with the RAW file. In Capture NX2 you can work with all of the Nikon in-camera settings on your desktop after the fact. Plus, if you took many pictures with the same settings, you can fix one of them up perfectly, then batch apply the changes to all of the other images without opening them and tweaking them one by one.

The downside to an away shoot is that RAW+JPG will take up much more space on your memory card so you need several, or a way to download and clear the card.

The upside is all of the above. Being able to easily correct mistakes or change your mind after the shot has been made. So again, if you're not certain, shoot raw, save the files, you might not even fix them until next year, but if you don't shoot RAW, you never will.

C. Michael Hager

LATENTA Registered since 21st Feb 2007Wed 26-Nov-08 06:38 PM
1153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Need help with D90 portrait settings"
In response to Reply # 6

US

With the release of LightRoom 2.1, plus the 'Camera Matching Profiles' (beta 2), Capture NX2 has some real completion in the NEF
processing department. Give LR2.1 a try before saying NX2 is the only
knife in the drawer.

To answer the question:
'Neutral' settings for people and 'vivid' for landscapes.

I had a darkroom. Now I have a PC. PC smells better.

michaelhager Registered since 15th Feb 2007Wed 26-Nov-08 07:20 PM
#9. "RE: Need help with D90 portrait settings"
In response to Reply # 8

Fountain Inn, US

>Give LR2.1 a try before saying NX2 is the only
>knife in the drawer.

I've answered the question of PP so many times I can't remember what I said in which post. I have often said that NX2 is not the "only knife in the drawer", but until very recently it has been the sharpest knife. LR2.1 is certainly giving it a run for the money and I'm glad to see the 3rd party programs catching up.

And I have also stated that I use NX2 as my personal preference and that everyone has their own personal preference. Guess I just didn't say it all here.

I really do hate the VERY slow processing speed of NX2, so when the other guys catch up completely, I'll likely switch!

C. Michael Hager

michaelhager Registered since 15th Feb 2007Wed 26-Nov-08 06:11 PM
#7. "RE: Need help with D90 portrait settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Fountain Inn, US

By the way, the next best thing you can do is get a good external flash unit. A SB600, 800 or 900 with a good diffuser will help tremendously. Far better than the on board flash.

Notice in both shots of my granddaughter the SB800 was used. This might be one of the easiest things for you to do. Put the camera on full automatic with an SBXXX unit set to TTL for indoors and TTL/BL for outdoors.

The TTL setting indoors will take care of all your lighting needs and a good soft diffuser will even out the light and take away from that harsh shadow problem with the on board flash.

TTL/BL will fill in the harsh shadows from sunlight (like under her hood) and help even out the light.

Good luck and have fun with that grandchild... they are the best!

(And post some of your pictures for us when you get back!)

C. Michael Hager

boxerlover Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2006Thu 27-Nov-08 01:35 AM
#10. "RE: Need help with D90 portrait settings"
In response to Reply # 7

North Adams, US

Thanks so much for all your help, have SB600, have only used a couple of times and wasn't going to take but I will pack it, hope if I use TTL and change the WB to flash, that will be all I need to do. I did try a trial of Lightroom 2 but life got busy, and it ran out without me really utilizing it. I just don't have the patience or the technical skills to learn Photoshop. Again thanks for all your advice, it's hard sometimes to ask those simple questions because so many of the members of Nikonians are so advanced, so I really appreciate your help. Can't wait to get that baby in my arms, worrying about pictures will probably be the last thing on my mind when I get there seeing our time there will be so short.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #225278 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.