Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #224789
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can the D90 make a decent movie?" Previous topic | Next topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 18-Nov-08 04:59 AM
34328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
Fri 23-Jan-09 01:41 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Check out the Eiger North Face D90 video

Not only numerous happy D90 users report the superb noise performance of the D90, Nikonian Bill Claff (bclaff) has shown here the superiority of the Photographic Dynamic Range of the D90, even above that of the D300.
Knowing a little about the Nikon Engineering philosophy, this is not surprising.

So what else can we ask from this camera? Well... can the D90 make a decent movie?

We posed the question to Nikon Swiss representatives at Photokina and they have sent us the answer in this D90 video made by Nikonian pro Robert Bösch of the ascent of the also famous Swiss alpinist Ueli Steck of the Eiger Mountain North Face. (Warning: It is a high quality 20MB file, so you need a fast Internet connection to see it streaming)

For its famous North Face, the Eiger is one of the most talked about and written about challenging peaks in the world. The battles to conquer this face have captivated the minds and hearts of climbers and non-climbers alike since the time of the first attempt in 1934.

Enjoy

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?
James23p Moderator
18th Nov 2008
jrp Administrator
18th Nov 2008
davidziff2 Silver Member
18th Nov 2008
Tony_Jeffree
18th Nov 2008
Flux101
18th Nov 2008
davidziff2 Silver Member
18th Nov 2008
jrp Administrator
18th Nov 2008
davidziff2 Silver Member
18th Nov 2008
ohioguy521
28th Nov 2008
neufer
18th Nov 2008
Elyone
18th Nov 2008
kenmof61
18th Nov 2008
LATENTA
26th Nov 2008
MstrBones Silver Member
05th Jan 2009
edac
02nd Dec 2008
Tony_Jeffree
02nd Dec 2008
Nertix
24th Dec 2008
in4apenny Silver Member
28th Jan 2009
mannfilmz
05th Dec 2008
torags
17th Dec 2008
JasonAllenPhotoGuy
22nd Dec 2008
KMud
18th Jan 2009
NikenTurda
06th Jan 2009
vultureacs
10th Jan 2009
bluei
14th Jan 2009
bladerunner0427
21st Jan 2009
f7sharp9
21st Jan 2009
bladerunner0427
22nd Jan 2009
RRRoger Silver Member
26th Apr 2009
KMud
27th Apr 2009
RRRoger Silver Member
27th Apr 2009

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 18-Nov-08 05:19 AM
9504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 18-Nov-08 05:21 AM by James23p

Memphis, US

WOW that was impressive both the camera and the fact the guy was shooting on the mountain!

Thanks Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 18-Nov-08 06:52 AM
34328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes, it reminded me of a Clint Eastwood action thriller movie: The Eiger Sanction, released in 1975.
But this short movie conveys by far better the emotion of the ascent, even if not through the treacherous bold rocky flat side, and with a still photography camera!

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

davidziff2 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 18-Nov-08 11:55 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm not experienced with videography. Why is the movie stuttering -- stopping and starting again and again? Even after it loads through the first time, it continues to do it the second time. Is there anyway it can be played from start to finish without pausing and getting the spinning circle while it loads again?????????? Thanks. (I hope I'm asking the right question here)

Tony_Jeffree Registered since 13th Oct 2004Tue 18-Nov-08 01:58 PM
2016 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 3

Manchester, GB

That is deliberate use of "still" shots in the movie. It isn't a fault.

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

Flux101 Registered since 24th Aug 2007Tue 18-Nov-08 02:10 PM
204 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 3

Brantford, CA

I think it's your internet connection since you are getting the loading symbol.

Mine played from start to finish with only the obvious still images "stuttering".

Without some special video downloading software I don't think there's much you can do. I know Realplayer has a plug-in that will capture videos but not sure what else does.

davidziff2 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 18-Nov-08 02:28 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is the internet. Here's what a pro colleague said of the situation when I pointed out the video wasn't streaming:

"Yeah mine stopped a lot too. Not really practical to watch a hi-def movie via streaming video. It is definitely not the camera but the internet. I am suprised they don't have a link like Canon to download the entire file and then watch it uninterrupted."

Any help in this direction with Nikon?

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 18-Nov-08 03:54 PM
#7. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 18-Nov-08 03:57 PM by jrp

We are showing it ourselves, Nikonians, not Nikon.
Sorry, we need streaming video servers for this. We'll get there in the near future.
Please, don't let that distract you from the experience and the capabilities of the D90.

Have a great time

davidziff2 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 18-Nov-08 04:19 PM
#9. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 7

Many thanks for the reply. I'm primarily an event photographer and the video capability is appealing once I get the hang of it. Until I see a streaming video it's hard for me to estimate the utility of the D 90's video function as I have so little experience in this area.

ohioguy521 Registered since 28th Nov 2008Fri 28-Nov-08 01:59 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I currently own a canon rebel and i am looking to swtich to a nikon and this new camera d90 i do not know much about but seems like a perfect camera for me to justify a switch..i do have a few simple questions hopefully someone can answer and i hope they arent stupid.I just want to make sure it will fit my needs.when shooting video on this camera...can you pull still photos out of the video and they be good quality? or do you actually have to swtich back and forth so to speak in two different modes to take stills and video? what i use my camera for is a personal website where i do shoot alot of video of the same "subject"matter that I am posting sets of stills..this has always been difficult as I shoot all the stills then have to redo the whole scene but now shoot it over recreated for video ..so what i am saying is..if i shot this way with the video function on the camera solely ...when you dump the video into an editing program on your computer can you pull high quality stills out of the video? thank you Tracy

neufer Registered since 16th Nov 2008Tue 18-Nov-08 04:14 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 18-Nov-08 05:19 PM by neufer

US

HOW can the D90 make a decent movie?

I'm enjoying my D90 a lot. I don't mind that the movie mode has no autofocus. If it did, I would turn it off. My previous camera had AF in movie mode (Pana FZ50) but the searching made the movies look bad. I feel the same about Auto Exposure. It's annoying to see the sky shift to various shades through the clip. There might be exceptions, but for me it's usually best to lock the AE when shooting.

For focus during a shot with panning or zooming, I often practice a shot beforehand so I know how much and in what direction I have to move the focus dial.

Filmmakers work at planning every shot. I'd very much like to hear ideas from others about techniques they use for getting the D90 to make nice clips. Thanks.

David

Elyone Registered since 16th Oct 2008Tue 18-Nov-08 04:21 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 8

IL

In the beginning I kinda ignored the movie mode, because I was learning how to use the D90.

Now I am practicing, by filming my infant.

One thing I do is make sure I stay the same distance from the object. A non-crawling infant helps in this regard. So far I am 'OK' with the results.

One comment on that Nikon video. When they showed the climber moving TOWARDS the camera, should he not have lost focus? Unless the photog was good enough to focus on the fly?

I guess I am asking: Should I start practicing my manual focus skills? And on that note, not every lens is optimal for this. The ones that all you need to do is turn the focus ring after AF, seems the best.

So for instance my 50 1.8 is less good for this, because I would need to START with MF.

kenmof61 Registered since 11th Dec 2006Tue 18-Nov-08 04:54 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 10

Motherwell, GB

Thre are a couple of groups on flickr where people are starting to post movies made with the D90.

Well worth a quic look.

Central Scotland.

LATENTA Registered since 21st Feb 2007Wed 26-Nov-08 06:39 PM
1153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

...Was this clip edited with NX2 (lol)...

I had a darkroom. Now I have a PC. PC smells better.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Mon 05-Jan-09 02:16 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 10

AW

>When they showed the climber moving TOWARDS the camera, should he not have lost focus? Unless the photog was good enough to focus on the fly?

It depends on the climber's distance from the camera and the DOF that was selected.

""

edac Registered since 18th Jan 2007Tue 02-Dec-08 06:27 AM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Excellent, makes me kinda wish I would have went for the D90 instead of the D80. I love the D80, but I'm now thinking I am going to sell the D80 and just get the D90. Very inspiring, yeah, I'm going to do it, Thanks for the inspiration to take another hit to my wallet. My wife is going to love it when I explain it to her that I need another camera after only 3 months with the D80. Oh well, I'll just not tell her and just ask forgiveness later. They say, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Thanks,
Mark

It's Good to be Gold!
Proudly Supporting Nikonians

http://www.klr-650.blogspot.com
---------------------------------
Not all those who wander are lost.

Tony_Jeffree Registered since 13th Oct 2004Tue 02-Dec-08 07:13 AM
2016 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 14

Manchester, GB

>Oh well, I'll just not tell her and just
>ask forgiveness later.

You could always pinch the "D80" badge and graft it onto your D90...

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

Nertix Registered since 19th Dec 2008Wed 24-Dec-08 09:38 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 15

TW

>>Oh well, I'll just not tell her and just
>>ask forgiveness later.
>
>You could always pinch the "D80" badge and graft it
>onto your D90...
>
>
>Regards,
>Tony
>
>My
>Nikonians Gallery>

Rolling Shutter ? but why haven't seen on the second girls ?
<a href="
http://www.vimeo.com/2619202" target="_blank">http://www.vimeo.com/2619202<;/a>

in4apenny Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2008Wed 28-Jan-09 10:29 PM
256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 14

St. Paul, US

Thats the spirit! I apologize, but understand the need for the D90. For what it is worth I am 2-3 months away from doing the same thing.

The value of wisdom is in its retention and disbursment

mannfilmz Registered since 05th Dec 2008Fri 05-Dec-08 09:53 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 05-Dec-08 10:23 PM by mannfilmz

US

Sorry to say, no it cannot at HD or SD quality, but makes an okay webmovie.

I own a science documentary publishing business and, with high hopes, ran D-movie through paces. I use to DP on arriflex 16mm and 35mm cameras so I know film cameras and lens.

At HD and SD resolution, D90 movie quality is worse the the $600 consumer AVCHD cameras made by Canon and Sony. And not even close to the HDV pro-sumer cameras.

The D90 file is a really old AVI jpeg format that is 1/4th the size of a DVCPRO-HD 720 24fps file. So D-movie is very lossey compressed, and shows it on a HD monitor.

I may be crazy, but I think the frame rate was not constant - it felt alot like an old arriflex M.

I spent two days in my studio and daylight exteriors, and was not able to duplicate the quality that the Nikon demo's lead me to expect. All my HD and SD video footage was soft, and the flesh tones smeared. (The still pictures were beautiful.)

I exported the raw footage into Sorenson Squeeze for flash and mpeg4 H264 web movie tests. These 320 X 180 web movies look pretty good - they have that Nikon film feel, probably because of the glass and DOF.

Going deeper into google search, I have come across several other people who have the same experience. HD and SD resolutions bad, small webmovies okay.

Honestly, even for family video, the D90 sucks. No zoom, no auto-focus, no white balance, rolling shutter, CMOS movement errors, terrible audio, square pixels. You are better off with a $300 Target camcorder.

torags Registered since 06th Jan 2007Wed 17-Dec-08 02:31 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Hmmm... interesting.

I see the value in being able to shoot stills and short videos; back to back to back; for short web hosted albums.

I have a question about focus of oncoming subjects.

Is focus locked at the start of the vid? Continuous focus doesn't work at all?

The climber is relatively slow taking steps, if there was choppiness, I ascribed it to stepping. What would the result be of a smooth rolling car coming at you at 80mph. What would be the focus issues?

Rags

JasonAllenPhotoGuy Registered since 05th Jun 2008Mon 22-Dec-08 03:56 PM
237 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 17

US

The D90 can autofocus in Liveview (slowly though), and it can autofocus via the viewfinder when not in Liveview mode (about as fast as my D2H can), but like motion picture cameras, you must manually "pull" or adjust focus once rolling.

I'm in the process of shooting a short film with my D90, and what I have found to be useful is that I practice a shot with moving subjects by using the viewfinder to focus (as if taking a picture), switching to Liveview, then beginning recording. I practice the speed of changing focus in a shot a few times, and then we shoot it.

Because you are working with very shallow depth of field lenses, and because you can manually control exposure, you can get results that resemble 35mm film movies. The results are awesome with a well planned, well lit shot, but I would use a superior camera that is autofocus capable during shooting for one-chance-to-film-it shots... I wouldn't trust the D90 for anything you can't film a second or third take on.

Also, keep in mind that fast moving subjects will appear "skewed" because of the D90's rolling shutter... vertical lines on your subject (or elsewhere in your shot) will go diagonal, and it is painfully noticeable. Also, use a steadicam rig, or another camera support platform like a monopod/tripod to reduce the jello effect. Pan slowly to avoid vertical line skew also.

The D90 is a great still camera. I use it primarily for stills. If you happen to have one, and want to get creative, you can... but don't buy it just for the sake of making movies; you will be very disappointed.

If you're looking to get the 35mm shallow depth of field feel in High definition at 24 frames per second, get a Canon HV-20 or HV-30 Vixia, make or buy a 35mm adapter that takes Nikon lenses (I recommend the Letus35), and get a couple of miniDV tapes. You'll still have to manually pull focus, but you won't have to worry about panning to fast, or getting jiggly shots because of erratic camera movement. You'll also have external audio inputs, so you won't have to deal with terrible on camera audio.

--
www.JasonAllenPhotography.com
D90 | 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 AFS | 70-200 f/2.8 AFS VR | SB-900

KMud Registered since 14th Jan 2009Sun 18-Jan-09 10:07 PM
389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 16

GB

>Sorry to say, no it cannot at HD or SD quality, but makes an
>okay webmovie.
>
>...
>...
>...
>Honestly, even for family video, the D90 sucks. No zoom, no
>auto-focus, no white balance, rolling shutter, CMOS movement
>errors, terrible audio, square pixels. You are better off with
>a $300 Target camcorder.
>

Just chipping in to say, this is my experience also (albeit I'm no pro)...the compression being the main problem as it aliases to hell and back. If Nikon were to release an updated firmware to allow lossless recording I'd be thrilled, but as it is the video function just isn't worth bothering with for anything but throwaway videos.

NikenTurda Registered since 01st Jan 2009Tue 06-Jan-09 07:23 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

AZ

I find the D90's video capabilities somewhat half-baked and full 0f hassle (You'll find yourself turning the focus ring all the time to get everything right plus this ain't easy as it may seem, it needs helluva lots of practice!) But..this is better than nothing

vultureacs Basic MemberSat 10-Jan-09 01:46 PM
784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 21

Strasbourg, FR

When they showed the climber moving TOWARDS the camera, should he not have lost focus? Unless the photog was good enough to focus on the fly?

It depends on the climber's distance from the camera and the DOF that was selected.

The clip is filmed on a snow covered mountain in strong sunlight. You have to work hard not to blow highlights in those conditions, so the photographer could have easily selected f/16 and slowly changed focus without any noticeable effect.

bluei Registered since 17th Aug 2008Wed 14-Jan-09 09:11 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

PT

Hello

I am very sorry for posting this here but I have been trying to make a new post and I can't seem to find how to

I bought a UK model D90 and I am trying to register in the site for a year more of warranty but I cant because after I enter my details, I go to a page to chose subscriptions. Clicking ok on that page leads me to a blank page, and nothing happens. I have tried to contact Nikon but it seems that only registered members can.

What shall I do?

Thanks a lot for the help and sorry once more

Kind regards

bladerunner0427 Registered since 15th Jan 2009Wed 21-Jan-09 05:07 AM
#25. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

Hello folks,
Just watched this video on youtube and was fairly impressed. I'm looking to buy a dslr and the D90 is at the top of my list because it can shoot video and has good low-light performance. From watching the video, it seems the D90 can handle shooting in the snow. I noticed snow blowing all around. Is it safe to say that the D90 is constructed well enough to be able to withstand this type of environment? How about rain or fog? I don't plan on standing in the rain w/o an umbrella or anything, but was just curious as to how well it can withstand the elements. I'm aware that the D90 does not have any kind of weather-sealing - at least from what I've read on Nikon's website.

Thanks,
gerald

f7sharp9 Registered since 16th Jan 2009Wed 21-Jan-09 02:24 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 25

US

>Is it safe
>to say that the D90 is constructed well enough to be able to
>withstand this type of environment? How about rain or fog? I
>don't plan on standing in the rain w/o an umbrella or
>anything, but was just curious as to how well it can withstand
>the elements.

Here's one experience:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157612505529367/

bladerunner0427 Registered since 15th Jan 2009Thu 22-Jan-09 02:01 AM
#27. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 26

Los Angeles, US

>>Is it safe
>>to say that the D90 is constructed well enough to be able
>to
>>withstand this type of environment? How about rain or
>fog? I
>>don't plan on standing in the rain w/o an umbrella or
>>anything, but was just curious as to how well it can
>withstand
>>the elements.
>
>Here's one experience:
>
>http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157612505529367/
>

Thanks for that link. Looks like the D90 is winning the race to be my first dslr.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 26-Apr-09 04:42 PM
3148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 27

Monterey Bay, US

Question: What lens and what settings did the D90 movie crew use? I've had my best luck with f2.8 lense but may try my 85mm f1.4

I took a D90 in trade on a Big Ma lense sale.
So far, I am very impressed with it's capabilities and am using it for travel and back up to my D3s.

The movie mode is lots of fun and so far file size is my main problem. Even with Vegas Movie studio the files seem to large to post to the internet on my website.

KMud Registered since 14th Jan 2009Mon 27-Apr-09 12:50 AM
389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 29

GB

>Question: What lens and what settings did the D90 movie crew
>use? I've had my best luck with f2.8 lense but may try my 85mm
>f1.4
>
>I took a D90 in trade on a Big Ma lense sale.
>So far, I am very impressed with it's capabilities and am
>using it for travel and back up to my D3s.
>
>The movie mode is lots of fun and so far file size is my main
>problem. Even with Vegas Movie studio the files seem to large
>to post to the internet on my website.

File size is my problem for the opposite reason, I think the files are too small! The motion JPEG codec is pretty lossy, but if you transcode your videos to a lower resolution you'll both improve image quality and dramatically reduce the file size. Windows Movie Maker will let you create WMVs easily, or there's virtualdub which is powerful though somewhat clunky. There're other options, but that's all I need.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 27-Apr-09 01:47 AM
3148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Can the D90 make a decent movie?"
In response to Reply # 30
Mon 27-Apr-09 01:50 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I tried Windows Movie maker with my expensive Panasonic disc movie recorder and also Canons Elura 100 tape & SD disc camcorder that I liked better. Now I have tried it with the Nikon D90 so far better video yet. I do not like Window Movie Maker at all. The Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 is way easier to use and can be saved in many formats including wmv. So far the huge original avi files are best for playback full screen on my 28" computer monitors. I will keep trying to convert to a workable web size file. The potential customer needs to be able to view a quality 4x6 (480x640)or larger clip. If I can sell these, I will also be able to sell the original movie clips on DVD.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #224789 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.