Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #222016
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D70s MC-DC1" Previous topic | Next topic
maherod Registered since 27th Sep 2008Sat 27-Sep-08 05:37 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
Sat 27-Sep-08 05:40 AM by maherod

Haifa, IL

Hello,
Recently i bought the Wired Remote (MC-DC1) for my Nikon D70s, i am having a problem which i cannot seem to find a solution for, when ever i connect the wired remote and adjust the shutted speed to BULB, the camera freezes to BULB and the shutter remains locked until i switch the the camera power to half way OFF then it's released, this issue really annoys as it's not possible to take long exposure shots because everytime i touch the camera to release the shutter the camera moves a little thus i get a blurry Image, if anyone heard / experienced this issue please help me out to fix it.

Thank you

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1
factotum
28th Sep 2008
factotum
28th Sep 2008
maherod
28th Sep 2008
factotum
28th Sep 2008
maherod
14th Oct 2008
michaelhager
15th Oct 2008
maherod
15th Oct 2008
cliddell Silver Member
15th Oct 2008
cliddell Silver Member
15th Oct 2008
maherod
15th Oct 2008
cliddell Silver Member
15th Oct 2008
MstrBones Silver Member
15th Oct 2008
maherod
16th Oct 2008

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007Sun 28-Sep-08 02:19 AM
342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have a D80 that acts the same with the ebay intervalometer version of this remote. I never noticed it before because I've always used it as a remote. IT has to be something in the camera settings, somewhere.

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007Sun 28-Sep-08 04:25 AM
342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 1

US

The problem may be a flakey connection between remote and camera. I got mine to work intermittently tonight. When the remote would not release the shutter, lightly jiggling the connection released it. 2 people with the same problem using different remotes point to the camera if you ask me.

maherod Registered since 27th Sep 2008Sun 28-Sep-08 04:31 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 28-Sep-08 04:42 AM by maherod

Haifa, IL

Can't be the camera settings, i have tried everytihng possible in the Camera to fix this problem and it didn't help ... it's sometihng to do with with the connection to the camera or a bug ... firmware something, but it's not settings, i will try to shake the cable a little , maybe it will release the shutter.

Thanks !

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007Sun 28-Sep-08 04:45 AM
#4. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Can't be the camera settings, i have tried everytihng
>possible in the Camera to fix this problem and it didn't help
>... it's sometihng to do with with the connection to the
>camera or a bug ... firmware something, but it's not settings,
>i will try to shake the cable a little , maybe it will release
>the shutter.
>
>Thanks !
>
>
I've been playing with it for a while, and it is definitely the connection. Just the slightest jiggle will make it release. I got it to work 25 out of 25 times with just a bit of pressure one way or the other on the wire. We may have stumbled on a defect here.

maherod Registered since 27th Sep 2008Tue 14-Oct-08 09:01 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 4

Haifa, IL

Hello,
i have tried to jiggle the cable more than once, nothing helped, what helped is actually putting a little pressure on the connection ( on the camera ) then the shutter was released, but this is no good as the camera moved a little, anyone found another solution for this really annoying problem ?
Thanks !!

michaelhager Registered since 15th Feb 2007Wed 15-Oct-08 02:40 AM
2284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 5

Fountain Inn, US

>Hello,
>i have tried to jiggle the cable more than once, nothing
>helped, what helped is actually putting a little pressure on
>the connection ( on the camera ) then the shutter was
>released, but this is no good as the camera moved a little,
>anyone found another solution for this really annoying problem
>?
>Thanks !!
>

Try the ML-L3 wireless remote. Works perfectly, no connections to jiggle. It's less then $20 at most stores.

Works on the D70s and the D80, not sure about the D90. Doesn't work on my D300... too bad, I really like it.

The mini USB connector on the D70s is a little flaky after awhile and doers get loose. You can take a sharp toothpick and gently bend the spring connectors in a bit. Sometimes that helps if you're careful.

C. Michael Hager
Your most important piece of photo equipment is built into your face.
www.cmhager.com/Content/photo.shtml

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

maherod Registered since 27th Sep 2008Wed 15-Oct-08 04:51 AM
#7. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 6

Haifa, IL

Hi, does the wireless remote work with BULB ? i mean can i do exposures longer then "30 ?

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Wed 15-Oct-08 08:13 AM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 7

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I am not sure why you are using "BULB" on the camera when all you have to do is slide the MC-DC1 "forward" after pressing it in and the shutter stays open. When you're ready to close the shutter just slide it back again. There is no setting needed on the camera.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Wed 15-Oct-08 08:13 AM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 7

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I am not sure why you are using "BULB" on the camera when all you have to do is slide the MC-DC1 "forward" after pressing it in and the shutter stays open. When you're ready to close the shutter just slide it back again. There is no setting needed on the camera.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

maherod Registered since 27th Sep 2008Wed 15-Oct-08 08:18 AM
#10. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 9

Haifa, IL

Thanks for the reply, but if i do this what happend is the shutter keeps shooting .... and if i switch from multi shots to single shot ... it shoots one single shot and that's it ... even if i lock the button on the remote ;-(

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Wed 15-Oct-08 09:01 AM
#11. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 10

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Ok, I have just now selected M and set the shutter to BULB. I have full control of the time the shutter is open on my MC-DC1 remote.

Sorry if my last message was not entirely correct but it has been some time since I used the Time Delay function.

My D70s is set at "Single Frame" and I have no bracketing set.

I think the MC-DC1 is perfect and I hope you can get yours working.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Wed 15-Oct-08 08:58 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed 15-Oct-08 08:59 PM by MstrBones

AW

Maher,

I think you need to try the following, because I'm unclear what is happening based on your description.

Set the camera to aperture priority or manual. Set shutter speed to bulb, (with command dial). Press the shutter button down - shutter should stay open as long as you hold the button down. If that works, then...

Power off the camera. Insert the MC-DC1 into its socket. Power up. Set the camera to aperture priority or manual. Set shutter speed to bulb.

Now, when you hold down the button on the MC-DC1, the shutter should stay open on the camera till you let go. If it is not doing that, I would suspect something is wrong with the remote's wiring or the actual switch.

Another thing - the MC-DC1 may feel very tight the first time you insert it. It must be fully seated, so make sure you are pushing it all the way in.

""

maherod Registered since 27th Sep 2008Thu 16-Oct-08 05:55 AM
#13. "RE: Nikon D70s MC-DC1"
In response to Reply # 12

Haifa, IL

Thank you Mr MstrBones for your time and support, i did try what you have suggested, no go on that, i think that it's a problem with the remote itself, i am going to take it to the shop and replace it with another one and see if i can work it out ...

Thanks alot !!!!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #222016 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.