Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Electronic shutter = movie mode possible?

Vancouver, CA
249 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gavinjung Registered since 04th Apr 2002
Mon 26-Jan-04 04:41 AM

okay, maybe this doesn't belong in the D70 forum, but I'm just wondering. if the D70 uses both a mechanical and electronic shutter, then what prevents the D70 from shooting movies? all you would need is a mirror lockup and set the mechanical shutter to be wide open, right? (i mean, it's already capable of 30 secs, does it really consume that much power to hold open?) 15 electronic fps would be all that is necessary, but more would be pretty easy, i figure. 25 to match TV. resolution of 750x500 wouldn't be too hard to buffer and write anyways, would it? wouldn't this just be a brilliant (if not obvious) way to add features without adding much cost? maybe i'm missing something here? I would love to be able to use my SLR as a limited use video camera. it just seems to make sense to me. manual zoom and AFS would make filming pretty easy too. what do you all think?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.