nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219367
View in linear mode

Subject: "d70 backup?" Previous topic | Next topic
F100ways     Registered since 11th Nov 2003 Thu 29-Jan-04 07:01 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d70 backup?"

im just curious as to how many people will use this(D70) to jump into digital as their primary camera, or those supplementing a film system.
i personally use an f100 and n80 for my small company. the d70 will be a nice bridge into digital if the need to shoot digitally presents itself. with this purchase i will still continue to use both mediums on a per client basis. many customers still want their weddings shot on film. i also prefer film for weddings anyway(can you say Porta 160nc!?). im also curious to see what nikon has in the pipeline for a new high end 35mm body.(we know its comming per pop photo)

im not anti-digital, just pro-film

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: d70 backup? pluim003
29th Jan 2004
Reply message RE: d70 backup? DennisMe
29th Jan 2004
Reply message RE: d70 backup? BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
29th Jan 2004
Reply message RE: d70 backup? avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
29th Jan 2004
Reply message RE: d70 backup? nulldev
29th Jan 2004
Reply message RE: d70 backup? (coolscan) DennisMe
30th Jan 2004
     Reply message RE: d70 backup? (coolscan) nulldev
30th Jan 2004
          Reply message RE: d70 backup? (coolscan) DennisMe
30th Jan 2004
Reply message RE: d70 backup? JH
30th Jan 2004
Reply message RE: d70 backup? kc80s
30th Jan 2004
Reply message RE: d70 backup? ballroom_boy
30th Jan 2004
     Reply message RE: d70 backup? andy_leung
30th Jan 2004
Reply message RE: d70 backup? RoyWoo
30th Jan 2004

pluim003     Basic Member Thu 29-Jan-04 08:24 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d70 backup?"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, I'm planning to buy the D70 and I guess I will use it as my primary camera as I'm always anxious to know what shots I took and frankly don't want to wait if my film is completely exposed, but I also don't like using up only half of a film. At moments I take pictures a lot and at other moments it may take a couple of months before my film is completely exposed.
Also with a kid coming it's of course nice to take immediately pictures and send them to your family and not have to go to the shop, wait a couple of days (I don't use one-hour-photo-developping) for the results.
So when the D70 arrives, I think I will buy this almost instantly, according to the reviews then. And my F80 will be used as a backup-camera (maybe I'm going to do a bit with slide film) for use with ultra-wide-angle which I might possibly be missing (19mm or so) with the D70. I will most likely sell my almost ancient F50, which is now my backup-camera.

Greetings, DikkieDick

DennisMe   Roosendaal, NL  Registered since 12th Nov 2003 Thu 29-Jan-04 09:32 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d70 backup?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll be buying one, provided the reviews turn up no serious flaws.
It will be my primary camera to replace my film based N70.
The reason: I want to experiment and often can't justify the film costs. Besides, I also like messing about with software.

Dennis.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources   Salt Lake City, US  Charter Member Thu 29-Jan-04 09:43 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d70 backup?"
In response to Reply # 0

When I got my Fuji S2, it was to be able to use my film lenses and accessories and get those occasional direct digital images I need for work. Then I got to use and print with the image files and have essentially quit shooting film.

So by all means, get a D70 as a bridge camera. See what happens next .

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Rancho Cordova, US  Charter Member Thu 29-Jan-04 10:23 PM
18632 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d70 backup?"
In response to Reply # 3

Since getting my Coolpix, I haven't seriously used my N70 and lenses. I still pick it up to play with it, but in the last year, only took it out once, that I can recall and only put 4 rolls of film through it.

If the reviews are good, I may just pick up a D70 to replace my N70. We'll see.

Anthony

Find out more about me on the Moderator Page
"The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard."

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

nulldev   Grand Rapids, US  Registered since 13th Apr 2003 Thu 29-Jan-04 10:35 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: d70 backup?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm planning to buy a D70 if the reviews come out good. I currently have a N65 & N80. I was looking at getting a Coolscan V but with the price point of the D70, it doesn't make sense to me to get a slide scanner. I've been wanting a digital for a while now and my wife will go along with it at this price. Just hoping the reviews are good.

DennisMe   Roosendaal, NL  Registered since 12th Nov 2003 Fri 30-Jan-04 08:26 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: d70 backup? (coolscan)"
In response to Reply # 5

I'm getting a bellows and slide copier to go along with the D70. That may be something you could try too.
That way I should be able to 'scan' my slides in record time.

Dennis.

nulldev   Grand Rapids, US  Registered since 13th Apr 2003 Fri 30-Jan-04 11:49 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: d70 backup? (coolscan)"
In response to Reply # 7

I didn't know that was an option. Could you give me some links so I know exactly what I would be looking for. Thank you for the advice.

DennisMe   Roosendaal, NL  Registered since 12th Nov 2003 Fri 30-Jan-04 01:25 PM
#9. "RE: d70 backup? (coolscan)"
In response to Reply # 8

Try the following link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2982298145&category=4702

Drawbacks:
no metering( but a little trial and error will sove that)
Max resolution is camera resolution (okay for me)
No auto dust removal (need some canned air)
May need to use external flash for consistent lighting
Scanning negatives this way takes some twiddling in photoshop to remove the orange mask.
Some bellows need an inexpensive adapter ring on digital cameras

Advantages:
Very fast operation, once you set things up correctly.
can also be used to duplicate your own slides.
No problem with "sandwiched" slides.
Can be had second hand for a reasonable price
Bellows are also ideal for normal macro photography
To me, I wanted a bellows anyway for the above reason.

JH   Tampere, FI  Basic Member Fri 30-Jan-04 04:01 AM
1477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: d70 backup?"
In response to Reply # 0

I assume that D70 will be the primary camera and my F80 stays as a backup.

Janne

"Sunset is always an experience - but check the ISO speed!"

Visit my site at: http://www.nordicview.fi

kc80s   Toronto, CA  Registered since 29th Jan 2002 Fri 30-Jan-04 01:59 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: d70 backup?"
In response to Reply # 0

Same here.

D70 (was just about to buy D100) will be my primary.

My F80 will be my backup if I decide not to sell it.

ballroom_boy   Stratford, CA  Registered since 05th Sep 2002 Fri 30-Jan-04 02:06 PM
1341 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: d70 backup?"
In response to Reply # 10

I am still going to see what get announced at PMA. I currently shoot with an S2 which does a fine job, but would like a backup. So one of two things:

1) At PMA, Nikon and/or Fuji come out with a new DSLR so great that I will buy it and my S2 becomes my backup, or

2) No significant improvements/announcents come out, so I keep the Fuji as my main camera and D70 as the backup (or both become workhorses depending on D70 image quality)

I had an S1 as a backup, but now that most of my lenses are AF-S glass, well, it was no longer an option for me.

Roël
http://roelphoto.com

andy_leung     Registered since 30th Jan 2004 Fri 30-Jan-04 03:36 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: d70 backup?"
In response to Reply # 11

I'm also planning to buy D70 as my primary camera. I don't have SLR before. But I find interest in take a photo everywhere. I think that DSLR might be easier to improve oneself in shots. Because I no need to go to the shop for the results.{even use one/half-hour-photo-developping}, I can take the result immediately.

May I ask a question?
I will get 1-2pcs lens to take Landscape, People and my puppy. What kind of lens suitable for me ?
Many thanks.

Andy Leung

RoyWoo   Hongkong, CN  Registered since 14th Feb 2002 Fri 30-Jan-04 04:08 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: d70 backup?"
In response to Reply # 0

I will keep both film and digital. It is unlikely that I'll give up my film camera. For landscape shots, I will continue to use film. For indoor events and casual shooting, I'll use digital. I also have a consumer digital camera that almost always follows me around.

Andy, if you're new to SLR, you may want to get the kit lens, experiment to find out what suits you, and then get what you need.

Roy

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219367 Previous topic | Next topic