Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219267
View in linear mode

Subject: "Official press release" Previous topic | Next topic
Fred78 Registered since 07th Feb 2003Wed 28-Jan-04 06:44 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Official press release"

Versailles, FR

Fron Nikon
<http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2004/0128_01.htm>
It looks great !!!

Fred.

Fred-
Hello from France

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Official press release
JH
28th Jan 2004
Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions
28th Jan 2004
fundy
28th Jan 2004
SilverPenguin
28th Jan 2004
Dave C
28th Jan 2004
Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions
28th Jan 2004
fundy
28th Jan 2004
Dave C
28th Jan 2004
gulajawa
28th Jan 2004
ldo Silver Member
28th Jan 2004
suaide
28th Jan 2004
Joel Rainville
28th Jan 2004
Joel Rainville
28th Jan 2004
kc80s
28th Jan 2004
Reply message D100?
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
28th Jan 2004
Reply message RE: D100?
vchong
28th Jan 2004
     Reply message RE: D100?
Flask
28th Jan 2004
          Reply message But in the meantime...
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
29th Jan 2004
               Reply message RE: But in the meantime...
spacer Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
29th Jan 2004
Flask
28th Jan 2004
Reply message The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon.
ahockLo
28th Jan 2004
Reply message RE: The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon
N80 Silver Member
29th Jan 2004
tflub
29th Jan 2004
pluim003
29th Jan 2004
N80 Silver Member
29th Jan 2004
tflub
29th Jan 2004
F100ways
29th Jan 2004
N80 Silver Member
29th Jan 2004
F100ways
30th Jan 2004
kc80s
30th Jan 2004
F100ways
30th Jan 2004
Scott
30th Jan 2004
rayonline
30th Jan 2004

JH Basic MemberWed 28-Jan-04 09:24 AM
1477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampere, FI

My precious D70! These good news give me more motivation to continue saving for it

Janne

"Sunset is always an experience - but check the ISO speed!"

Visit my site at: http://www.nordicview.fi

Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions Charter MemberWed 28-Jan-04 10:33 AM
12788 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

1/8000 sec!! 1/500 flash synch!! 1005 pixel RGB meter!!!

Let's hope it lives up to the specification.

Paul Fisher
Nikonian in Perth, Western Australia
My home page

fundy Registered since 13th Nov 2002Wed 28-Jan-04 11:54 AM
1383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 2

Marugame, JP

No (insert profane word here).

The specs are amzing. It is vertually an F5 without the build and the autofocus sensor. It truly is amazing. You could definitly do wedding photography with this baby!! Or a couple for the price!!

I am truly amazed by the specs, really.

The DX lens could be a little wider, but hey...

Andrew
A.K.A. Fundy

-----------
Oregonian Nikonian presently found on Shikoku, Japan
http://homepage.mac.com/fundy/

Andrew
A.K.A. Fundy

-----------
Fundy Photo
<a
href="http://www.fundyphoto.com">P
ortland, Beaverton, Oregon Wedding
Photographer</a>
http://www.fundyphoto.com

SilverPenguin Registered since 19th Apr 2003Wed 28-Jan-04 12:12 PM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeading, UK

144 shot buffer for jpeg medium-large!!

I wonder what the RAW write times are like?

It is looking very good though, very good indeed!

My portfolio site | www.richardpeters.co.uk
My photography blog | www.richardpeters.co.uk/blog

Dave C Registered since 10th Mar 2002Wed 28-Jan-04 12:30 PM
2004 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 0

Dunfermline, UK

Wow!
The spec looks a lot more impressive than I had imagined.
I only have one gripe and it may seem petty. One of the reasons I picked my F80 over any others was the fact that the flash did NOT pop-up automatically.
The D70 looks to be aimed at beginner/snapshot style from the amount of auto features so the pop-up flash is understandable. I guess my target spec will be an updated D100. Now what will that spec be like!

Always look on the bright side of life de dum de dum...........
Dave C
Scottish Nikonian
My Gallery

Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions Charter MemberWed 28-Jan-04 12:38 PM
12788 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 5

Perth, AU

You'll probably find the auto-popup can be easily over-ridden or disabled, as on the F65 / F75.

This is a beginner / snapshot camera I could live with

Paul Fisher
Nikonian in Perth, Western Australia
My home page

fundy Registered since 13th Nov 2002Wed 28-Jan-04 02:01 PM
1383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 6

Marugame, JP

This is truly amazing. I just want to say it again. Is this a mini F5? Other than the CAM900 and the build, it is.

An SLR with the famed 1005 color matrix for under $1000? was unheard of, and it has a CCD stuck in it so you don't need film!! Wow.

I love the 1/500 flash sync. Wow.

I bet it has the new compressed NEF write speed of the D2H. It has a seperate processor just for the occasion, hence, no regular NEF. Wow, and I get more space on my microdrive?! holy smokes.

And usually if you use the P,A,S, or M modes the flash doesn't pop up automatically on the camera on the N75, so I bet it is the same. Or, being a digital with more control, you can probably just disable the damn thing.

Save pennies, save pennies.

Andrew
A.K.A. Fundy

-----------
Oregonian Nikonian presently found on Shikoku, Japan
http://homepage.mac.com/fundy/

Andrew
A.K.A. Fundy

-----------
Fundy Photo
<a
href="http://www.fundyphoto.com">P
ortland, Beaverton, Oregon Wedding
Photographer</a>
http://www.fundyphoto.com

Dave C Registered since 10th Mar 2002Wed 28-Jan-04 03:25 PM
2004 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 7

Dunfermline, UK

Thanks for the good news about the flash.
This has impressed me so much that I did a detailed cost comparison. After all new purchases, trade-ins and film/processing etc were taken into account unfortunately the D70 had a 3 year break even point. So I'll be sticking with film - for now. Can you imagine the specs in 3 years time?

Disclaimer:- This is only my personal opinion based on my meagre output.

Always look on the bright side of life de dum de dum...........
Dave C
Scottish Nikonian
My Gallery

gulajawa Registered since 21st Jan 2004Wed 28-Jan-04 03:45 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 9

Singapore, SG

There's better news with the pop up flash.
You can set it in "commander" mode to trigger remote flash in i-TTL without firing the pop-up flash itself...

wibawa

ldo Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Oct 2002Wed 28-Jan-04 06:49 PM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 5

Orange County, US

I think it only pops up automatically when you're in the AUTO shooting mode (not to be confused with the P mode), which is often seen on the point & shoot cameras. In P,S,A,M modes, you'll have to pop it up manually. I saw this in the pdf brochure somewhere.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

suaide Registered since 12th Feb 2003Wed 28-Jan-04 02:35 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 0

Sao Paulo, BR

The D70 specs are extremely impressive for a under $1k price. This camera is a killer. I would think this camera is also a D100 killer. What do you think????

Alex Suaide

----------------------------
Dr. Alexandre Suaide
Dep. de Física Nuclear
Universidade de São Paulo, Brasil

Joel Rainville Registered since 09th Apr 2003Wed 28-Jan-04 04:27 PM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 8

Montréal, CA

Not only is it a threat to the D100, it is also a stab at film cameras.

I mean, 1/500 flash sync, grid lines (the F75 doesn't have that, right?), 95% viewfinder (almost like a F100), spot meter (easily accessible unlike the F75), 1/3 exposure compensation (F100 and F5). I don't care much for the 1005 pixels color meter, but since it comes from the F5, it's always nice to have.

For less than $1000?

I am so going digital now...

It's like Nikon melted their F75, F80, F100, F5 and D100 into the D70 mold. Awesome.

Joel Rainville Registered since 09th Apr 2003Wed 28-Jan-04 04:33 PM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 11

Montréal, CA

What's that noise I'm hearing?

Oh, it's Canon, shaking in their pants.

I know, I know, we can't buy the D70 yet. But suddenly, I have no reason to do the big switch and buy a Digital Rebel. I bet this press release will hurt Digital Rebel sales starting *now*.

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Wed 28-Jan-04 04:45 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 8

Toronto, CA

>The D70 specs are extremely impressive for a under $1k
>price. This camera is a killer. I would think this camera is
>also a D100 killer. What do you think????

Assuming build quality isn't too bad, I personally don't see any reason to get the D100 instead of the D70.

I am just about to get the D100, but ever since the specs on the D70 leaked out, I've been holding off my decision. I just hope the build quality isn't too bad. If it isn't, the decision will be a no brainer for me.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 28-Jan-04 04:53 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "D100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Assuming the D70 delivers the expected image quality, the feature set and price point pose some real problems for the D100 in it's niche. Nikon pulled out all the stops to make a killer spec for the under $1K camera. I wonder what Nikon has in mind for the D100 since the sales volume will drop dramatically starting today?

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

vchong Basic MemberWed 28-Jan-04 05:20 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D100?"
In response to Reply # 14

Victoria, CA

What do they have in mind for the D100? Retirement.

Two possible marketing strategies I see for Nikon: 1. they hope that they made the D70 attractive enough to lure the would-be D100 purchasers into buying the D70 and thus keep only a single consumer/prosumer model; 2. they have a direct successor to the D100 planned and will introduce it in a few months.

I think it'll be a combination of the two -- D70 will become the main sales product for a few months while a successor to the D100 is readied and eventually released.

Ultimately, it's all up to economics... businesses are in the business of making money.

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

Flask Registered since 30th Sep 2002Wed 28-Jan-04 05:46 PM
3459 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#17. "RE: D100?"
In response to Reply # 15

Raleigh, US

I'll bet the successor to the D100 will move further in the D2x direction and not be discontinued.

M a r k E

http://home.nc.rr.com/flask/photo

M a r k . E

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberThu 29-Jan-04 01:04 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "But in the meantime..."
In response to Reply # 17

Salt Lake City, US

How do you sell the D100 at a higher pricepoint when the D70 trumps so many features? I'm looking, but not seeing, a reason to buy the D100 even if the two cameras sold for the same price. Yes, the D100 probably has a more solid build and a faster com port (just get a cardreader for the D70), but I can see D100 boxes sitting on shelves while people wait for the D70 and the replacement for the D100 that has to come soon.

How will Nikon handle it? A big D100 rebate? I'm sure they have a strategy, it will be interesting to see what it is...

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

spacer Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberThu 29-Jan-04 04:48 AM
1690 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: But in the meantime..."
In response to Reply # 20

DE

I agree. Unless the D70 has some serious issues with image quality the D100 just got rendered obsolete. Unlike on the Canon side, where the digi Rebel is inferior to the Canon 10D, the D70 appears to me a better camera than the D100.

PMA will be interesting. I wonder what will be released at the actual show or do the companies don't save any major news for the show?
I wonder what Nikon has up the sleeves. Canon just blew the D2h into bits and pieces with the announcement of the 1D markII (at least resolutionwise). It will be interesting what Nikon's response will be.

I think Nikon will come up with a D200? very soon, especially if Fuji really releases the rumored S3 with significantly higher resolution.

For the D100 we might see major rebates. Similar to the Kodak14n price drop.

Andreas

Andreas

Learn more about me and the Nikonians team on ourTeam Page.

Flask Registered since 30th Sep 2002Wed 28-Jan-04 05:42 PM
3459 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

A few things of interest to me: 3-D color matrix metering, 144 frame burst capability.

M a r k E

http://home.nc.rr.com/flask/photo

M a r k . E

ahockLo Registered since 24th Jan 2004Wed 28-Jan-04 06:25 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon."
In response to Reply # 0

The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon.
http://ascii24.com/news/i/hard/article/2004/01/28/images/images733369.jpg

source:http://ascii24.com/news/i/hard/article/2004/01/28/647945-000.html

N80 Silver Member Charter MemberThu 29-Jan-04 03:58 AM
8597 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 18

Rock Hill, US

I started a thread a while back on my concerns that Nikon was not keeping pace with the digital photography market. I'm one of the few who isn't won over by the D2H (it is so uncool now to focus on megapixels, but hey if 4 is good, 8 is better given the same processing), and I don't want to go there in this thread. But, I do at least understand the D2H's position in the market.

But wow, I'm overwhlemed by the D70 specs. It should anihilate the Digital Rebel (and all the other Canon consumer digis and the D100 too). I'm no longer concerned with Nikon's digital strategy. The D70, even more than the D100 and D2H realy clarifies that Nikon understands the market and plans to, and is prepared to, lead it.

However, I still don't think the D70 is for me. I'll reserve final judgement until I've held one, but it looks like it has a less substantial body than the N80/D100. I'm well aware that this was one of the biggest concerns about the N80 too, and in the end I've loved and continue to love the feel and weight of my N80. So who knows? I also don't like the mirror prism, but that is in theory only, again, I'll reserve judgement until I've looked through one.

As a photographer who has come to the point where I'm looking toward a more robust body, like an F100 or F5, but who is also wanting to go digital, the D70 may not be for me. It remians a great temptation though, and who knows what I'll do when I get my hands on a shop demo?

I'm just thrilled that Nikon has really upped the ante and has demonstrated that they are still the boss, film or digital. This gives me confidence that I will soon own a Nikon digital SLR of some type! Hopefully a D2X.

George Barron

My Nikonians Gallery is here:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1091

tflub Registered since 22nd Feb 2002Thu 29-Jan-04 02:59 PM
257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 21

US

All I'll say is I'm buying the D70. If the 18-70 lens is decent, I'll get the package. The D70 is a HUGE breakthrough for Nikon.

I'd buy it if the D100 sold for the same price. I think that the new image management system will produce sharper, more vivid colors right out of the box than the D100, but at the same time, provide tremendous creative flexibility. This will cure the problems with the images coming out of the D100 before post-processing that I've seen many people complain about.

Anyone who doubted Nikon's strategy for digital imaging because they don't have a full frame sensor or Canon is coming out with new, cheaper products faster ought to think again. In my view, Nikon has claimed supremacy by bringing to market products which incorporate compatability, long-term focus, higher quality. Nikon's commitment to high quality optics has not been comprimised and they are committing to a strategy for the 1.5 cropping sensor size with an innovative, high-quality DX line of lenses. I think it's awesome.

Has anyone considered the idea that the D70 is the replacement for the D100? What else is there to put in a prosumer DSLR at this point?

Flub

Please vivit my photo-centric blog: www.shutterblogger.blogspot.com

pluim003 Basic MemberThu 29-Jan-04 03:55 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 23

Precisely, I will do it with the D70 without the lense. My lenses are quite OK.

But I definately want this DSLR. The D100 was a bit too expensive and the D70 suites my needs.
Hopefully it's out at the end of February so I can take it with me on my short trip to England.

Greetings, DikkieDick

(P.S. I can't sign with my real name, with Dikkie removed my name shows up as #####, so my name is regarded as foul language, and I can't do anything about it. )

N80 Silver Member Charter MemberThu 29-Jan-04 05:54 PM
8597 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 23

Rock Hill, US

"Has anyone considered the idea that the D70 is the replacement for the D100? What else is there to put in a prosumer DSLR at this point?"

That is _the_ most important question. And I think there are many appropriate responses. First, I don't see the D70 as a pro-sumer model. It may be used that way, but it is hard to posture a camera as a potential pro body with 'landscape' and 'portrait' modes, etc. I'm not saying these limit the body in any way, but it just doesn't fit the expectation of a pro body, even a low end pro body.

So what else might it need? I think the first and most obvious answer is an updated, faster and more sensitive AFmodule. I think the CAM900 is great. It still suits my needs in my N80. But its old hat. It is in the N80, D100 and D70. It seems the next obvious improvement. I'd expect something similar, but not quite as good as what is in the D2. Just a faster motor and better AF sensor array. Do I think this is absolutely necessary? Well, maybe not. If the D2X comes in with 8 MP and slower frame rate than the D2H but priced better than the D2H, say $2800, then there really isn't a lot of middle ground. I think the D70 and the D2X could make up the entire digital SLR field for Nikon and be an unbeatable duo. The D2H will be around for a while and continue to represent the obvious choice for photojournalist/sports pros. No D105 necessary...not that I wouldn't want to see a D105.

I'd also like to see a true pentaprism, get rid of the 'portait' modes, etc., maybe stick a little metal in the body to make us _feel_ like it is more sturdy. But yea, thats about it, add much more and you've got a D2H.5.

George Barron

tflub Registered since 22nd Feb 2002Thu 29-Jan-04 06:18 PM
257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 25

US

About the AF motor... Most lenses being introduced by Nikon, and specifically DX lenses that are smaller and specifically designed for these DSLRs are AF-S so the AF motor isn't an issue. Perhaps the AF motor isn't a big R & D focus (no pun intended) at this point. I think that the custom modes are not particularly interesting to a "pro-sumer" but it would just be snobbery (please forgive the pejorative term but I couldn't think of any other reference) to reject a camera with these specs because it has those modes. I would call the D70 a prosumer camera because Nikon and photo magazines call my N80 a prosumer camera or and advanced amature camera and the D70 has better specs than the N80 in many respects.

Flub

Please vivit my photo-centric blog: www.shutterblogger.blogspot.com

F100ways Registered since 11th Nov 2003Thu 29-Jan-04 06:49 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 26

very impressive, might have to add this to my f100 and n80 arsenal. no more scanning if a couple wants a digital wedding presentation. hmmmmmm. ill have it paid for with just 1 wedding this summer. very tempting, not quite a need...but ill place it on the "i want" list.

then again, i may wait a year after its released so nikon can work out all the bugs and firmware upgrades.

im not anti-digital, just pro-film

N80 Silver Member Charter MemberThu 29-Jan-04 11:57 PM
#28. "RE: The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 26

Rock Hill, US

The digital thing has lowered the bar for what is called pro and what isn't. I found it interesting that the D100 was commonly referred to as a pro body when it was no more than a digital N80, which is commonly described as serious amatuer or pro-sumer body. Most F5 and F100 users did not view the N80 as a prosumer body. However, it _did_ share so much of its layout, operation and ergonomics with the pro bodies.

The D70, on the other hand, _looks_ much more like its mid-level consumer body, the N75.

I also don't really see the specs on the D70 as being significantly better than the N80. The color matrix meter is great but I've heard more than one qualified pro, and several F5 owners here that contend that it makes little real difference. Certainly its importance may be more significant with the digital format. The 1/500 flash sync does more to enhance the D70's 'pro' status than any other feature.

Call it snobbery or whatever you will, but looks and market placement and 'consumer features' _do_ affect how pros and consumers feel about a camera. As Keppler so aptly pointed out, there has to be a reason the pro bodies don't have pop-up flashes. There is no reason _not_ to have one. They can be lifesavers in a pinch and don't take anything away from the body. It is simply the consumer stigma that keeps them off pro bodies. The auto modes will be perceived the same way.

But who cares what labels it carries. In the end it will find its way into the bags of pros and consumers who want and need them.

George Barron

F100ways Registered since 11th Nov 2003Fri 30-Jan-04 04:09 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 28

george, interesting point. i suspect however the D70 will not stand up to pro use and abuse. which is another thing to consider. it in no way will have the shutter cycles, water resistance, and all around "bang proof" ruggedness of my f100. which makes me second guess on it for serious pro use in the field.

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Fri 30-Jan-04 06:55 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 29

Toronto, CA

IMHO it is very clear that the D70 is not intended to stand up to pro use and abuse.

Come on, not everyone needs a camera that is built like a tank and can protect you from bullets. I think some people have way too many unrealistic expectations.

F100ways Registered since 11th Nov 2003Fri 30-Jan-04 07:39 PM
#32. "RE: The positioning of D70 which can be placed on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 31

>
>IMHO it is very clear that the D70 is not intended to stand
>up to pro use and abuse.
>
>Come on, not everyone needs a camera that is built like a
>tank and can protect you from bullets. I think some people
>have way too many unrealistic expectations.

no, i see your point. i think u misunderstood me a bit. i wouldnt expect a sub 1k dslr to be built like the f100 ("I think some people
have way too many unrealistic expectations."). i was just saying, you brought up a good point. as i would intend to use the camera fairly heavily in the field. so that would be one thing to consider(for myself)...durability. they make the d1x and d2h for a reason..heavy pro use in the field. of course the target user of the D70 wont be shooting war photos in iraq, so itll be interesting to see how the camera holds up. as im sure many wedding photogs etc may jump onto the D70 wagon.

Scott Basic MemberFri 30-Jan-04 06:53 PM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Why no 100 iso on the D70. 50 would be nice to but I really don't get no 100 ISO??????

rayonline Registered since 22nd Jul 2003Fri 30-Jan-04 09:21 PM
1220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Official press release"
In response to Reply # 30

NZ

My already booked plans coincided with this camera!! And I was thinking otherwise.

If it does make debut mid March, how is the supply in Tokyo after 4 weeks?? I assume reviews would be avail by then?? I head to Japan in April. Unfortunately I won't be going to Shkoku Andrew but thanks

North, central and south..

Now I have to think, should I parallel import D70 from B&H before my trip or else get this in person in Japan and take a film body with me initially.. To save time, I'll see north and back down to Tokyo and down to Kyoto .. Hiroshima .. Fukoka, Beppu, Aso Sans, Nagasaki and to Osaka to return home.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219267 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.