nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219261
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tell me if I'm reading this right...D70 buffer size" Previous topic | Next topic
danN80 Basic MemberThu 29-Jan-04 06:21 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Tell me if I'm reading this right...D70 buffer size"

Cincinnati, US

I was looking at the D70 spec sheet and found something that I hope isn't too good to be true.

Nikon USA key features...
With 3 frames per second and a Dynamic Buffer that lets you capture up to 144 shots in sequence, you'll capture every special moment you want to photograph.

I check, and the 144 is for normal JPEGs...BUT

Specs page...
Storage (Number of: RAW approx. 23, FINE approx. 73, NORMAL approx. 144, BASIC approx. 279, RAW & BASIC approx. 21

So does that 23 mean that the D70 buffer can hold TWENTY-THREE NEFs ?

I really, really hope so!!

I will be digital when I can get one of these.

Dan Burns
danN80 (danD70?)

Advice given to me by Geographic pro Chris Johns: "Just keep putting film through the camera."

Dan
Burns

danN80

Advice given to
me by
Geographic pro
Chris Johns: "Just keep putting film
through the camera."

My Gallery

The News
Record>

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DennisMe Registered since 12th Nov 2003Thu 29-Jan-04 09:46 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tell me if I'm reading this right...D70 buffer size"
In response to Reply # 0

Roosendaal, NL

If I'm correct, those figures are the numbers of pictures that can be recorded consecutively to a sandisk 256M card before the available buffer is used up.
It's a function of the camera's buffer size and transfer (to card) speed. IOW: use a slower card, and you get (much) worse results.

Dennis.

RoyWoo Registered since 14th Feb 2002Sat 31-Jan-04 07:21 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tell me if I'm reading this right...D70 buffer size"
In response to Reply # 0

Hongkong, CN

I just looked at the buffering specs again. To me it reads: 4-5 NEF or 12-20 JPG. What is interesting is that it seems to have a very robust compact flash interface (developed from the D2H?). Hence, if you shoot at a smaller filesize (such as the large+normal), on a very fast card (Sandisk ultra II), you would be able to continue right on until you fill up the card (hence the 144 shots claim on a 256M card by Nikon). If you use NEF exclusively though, you will still benefit from the speed. The difference would be like upgrading your computer with a very fast harddisk.

I looked up the max throughput of the D2H and its at 4.5M (as measured by DPReview with ultra II). It seems the D70 should easily double the throughput of a digital rebel!

I think Nikon should run a joint promotion with Sandisk, congratulating each other for their speedy products .

Roy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219261 Previous topic | Next topic