Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219241
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cam 300 & Flash Question" Previous topic | Next topic
VR Registered since 30th Dec 2002Fri 30-Jan-04 01:47 AM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cam 300 & Flash Question"

I am used to using an F100 with my 80-400VR. I am concerned that with anything less than AFS lenses the D70 will sound like a meat grinder. Tempted to buy a D70 and the 70-200AFS VR and 2X and ditch the 80-400 if I can afford it. Is the CAM 300 an issue?

Secondly I have an SB-80, its a bit confusing as to the advantages of the SB-800 or 600 over the 80. Views?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Cam 300 & Flash Question
Alex_86
30th Jan 2004
zucchini
31st Jan 2004
gejepe
31st Jan 2004
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
31st Jan 2004
VR
01st Feb 2004

Alex_86 Registered since 19th Aug 2003Fri 30-Jan-04 03:04 AM
1431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cam 300 & Flash Question"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

The D70 dose not use a Multi Cam 300 (is there such a thing?) But instead the Multi Cam 900 (same as the D100, F80, F75). I have the both the F100 and F80. I can not really tell a difference in sound between the two cameras AF sound if they have the same lens on although The F80 definitely takes a bit more time to lock focus (not a shot killer though).
In the end I am sure the D70 will be fine with the 80-400 although if it is just the NAS kicking in then go for it.

Happy Shooting
Alex

Alex Ratson
www.alexratsonphotography.com

zucchini Registered since 04th Mar 2002Sat 31-Jan-04 01:07 AM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cam 300 & Flash Question"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

I've got an N80 and an F100, and I can definitely notice the difference between the two with my 80-400 on there. I feel like it's already slow on the F100, and really slow on the N80. Not to say that it's not usable, but the slowness is there. In addition, I've always found my F100 focus motor to be quieter than the N80's.

I think the SB-80 can't do D-TTL with the D70. What a shame. The somewhat obsoleted all the DX flashes with new DSLR's, only sometime after introducing that series.

Jason <><
-------
http://www.jasonkuo.com

Jason <><
-------
http://me.jasonkuo.com

gejepe Registered since 27th Jun 2003Sat 31-Jan-04 03:20 AM
639 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cam 300 & Flash Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Santiago, CL

I just tried the "holy" 80-200 on my D1x, planning to buy it soon. Not the AF-S version, mind you, because it's almost twice as expensive in my market.
Admittedly, it's a bit noisy, and hunts if you don't activate the focus limiter (or whatever it's called) but is that really worth $500?
(I'll have to think about that)
Question: how many of us shoot under circumstances where AF noise is an impediment to get the shot? (just wondering).

Gerard

On second thought: Come again? You ARE willing to shell out - say - 1700 dollars for a lens, but are worried and "penny-wise" on a body? SHAME ON YOU!!!

"Always question authority: you might invent something..."
http://gallery.gerardprins.com

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 31-Jan-04 07:34 PM
10844 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Cam 300 & Flash Question"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Nothing wrong with being penny-wise on the body - in film days, the body was just a light-tight box to hold the emulsion - everyone knew then that the lens was the key to a great photo versus a good one. Those terms are still true today in digital - I don't care how many MPs you might have on a body; up to a given size, the lens still makes the difference.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

VR Registered since 30th Dec 2002Sun 01-Feb-04 01:56 AM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Cam 300 & Flash Question"
In response to Reply # 3

When its nice and quiet I have had some good nature shots. Sometimes that hunting sound sends the birds and critters flying. Same with some street shots, all the life goes running it's a pain. On the second thought, I would love a D2H etc. if it were 1 pound lighter and 3K cheaper.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219241 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.