Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219203
View in linear mode

Subject: "can D70 be used on studio strobes?" Previous topic | Next topic
klein Registered since 01st Feb 2004Sun 01-Feb-04 03:47 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"can D70 be used on studio strobes?"

singapore, SG

good day, i am converting from film to digital once i save enough
can u tell me if i can still use tradional studio strobes or must i convert to those that give out continous lighting?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: can D70 be used on studio strobes?
benveniste Moderator
01st Feb 2004
edwin1ejb Silver Member
01st Feb 2004
Paul K
01st Feb 2004
Len Shepherd Gold Member
01st Feb 2004
DeepBlue
01st Feb 2004

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Sun 01-Feb-04 04:06 AM
9534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: can D70 be used on studio strobes?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

good day, i am converting from film to digital once i save enough can u tell me if i can still use tradional studio strobes or must i convert to those that give out continous lighting?

You can still use traditional strobes, but you will have to find a way to trigger them. The D70 does not appear to have a sync connector, so that means adding a Nikon AS-15 or Wein Safe Sync.

Depending on your strobes, though, you may want to choose a slower sync speed than 1/500.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

edwin1ejb Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2003Sun 01-Feb-04 04:43 AM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: can D70 be used on studio strobes?"
In response to Reply # 1

Glendale, US

JUST CURIOUS.......What does the type of strobe have to do with sync speed?? Dont all strobes sync at whatever the camera's sync speed is???

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Paul K Basic MemberSun 01-Feb-04 08:13 AM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: can D70 be used on studio strobes?"
In response to Reply # 2

Rijsenhout, NL

You're so far correct that any flash will go of at any speed.

The synchronisation i.e. triggering of the flash at such a moment that the exposure is set at the proper moment, is a question of the camera.

With a dedicated flash there sometimes the problem that the camera will automatically switch to a pre-determined time or setting when using an automated exposure mode.

With a camera like the D70 which has no PC link using a studio strobe is as said no problem, with the help of some kind of slave trigger.

All in a day's work

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sun 01-Feb-04 11:25 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: can D70 be used on studio strobes?"
In response to Reply # 2

Yorkshire, GB

>JUST CURIOUS.......What does the type of strobe have to do
>with sync speed?? Don't all strobes sync at whatever the
>camera's sync speed is???

Not exactly.

Some studio strobes at full power have a flash output time between 1/125 and 1/250.

The camera will sync but the second curtain will start to close before the full flash output at syncs of 1/250 or 1/500.

This might also apply to some older Speedlights at 1/500.

Setting sync at 1/125 is sometimes as short as you can go with studio strobes.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

DeepBlue Registered since 24th Aug 2002Sun 01-Feb-04 10:58 AM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: can D70 be used on studio strobes?"
In response to Reply # 1

Tampa, US

I wonder if you could use this new "commander" mode on the D70 to fire the strobes? Anyone have an idea?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike
Tampa, Florida

http://ChasingLightPhotography.com/
http://ChasingLightPhotography.com/blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219203 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.