nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219125
View in linear mode

Subject: "D70 too expensive?" Previous topic | Next topic
dlminehart Basic MemberSat 27-Dec-03 01:03 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D70 too expensive?"

With Canon's digital Rebel selling for $999 including a decent zoom lens, I'd think the D70 body would have to go for closer to $900 than the $999 rumored. While I have a substantial investment in Nikon gear, I'd be tempted to go for the Canon with zoom if it cost the same as a Nikon body. Especially since I already have a Canon flash to go with the Canon G3 I picked up when dissatisfied with Nikon's 5000 and 5700. From what I hear, the Canon Rebel autofocus is pretty good, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if Nikon's D70 came close. I'd trade faster and better focusing in the narrower range offered by Canon's zoom than have slower and less accurate focusing in the wider range offered by my set of Nikon lenses.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D70 too expensive?
bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources
27th Dec 2003
Scott
29th Jan 2004
bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources
29th Jan 2004
rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources
27th Dec 2003
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
28th Dec 2003
lordnikon
31st Dec 2003
mwagner1 Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
01st Jan 2004
Sausades
02nd Jan 2004
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
02nd Jan 2004
lordnikon
15th Jan 2004
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
04th Jan 2004
avistar
12th Jan 2004
JW
15th Jan 2004
dulber
19th Jan 2004
lordnikon
19th Jan 2004
gerbenrink
30th Jan 2004
DennisMe
30th Jan 2004
gerbenrink
01st Feb 2004
     Reply message Bad Cybershot F828...?
butzi911
19th Jan 2004
          Reply message RE: Bad Cybershot F828...?
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
20th Jan 2004
skamaraju
20th Jan 2004
20th Jan 2004
Reply message Make the switch ....
Paul K
23rd Jan 2004
Reply message RE: Make the switch ....
arturov
23rd Jan 2004
     Reply message RE: Make the switch ....
acphoto
25th Jan 2004
gejepe
28th Jan 2004
29th Jan 2004
tflub
29th Jan 2004
gejepe
29th Jan 2004
ahenneka
29th Jan 2004
gejepe
29th Jan 2004
29th Jan 2004
gejepe
30th Jan 2004
JH
30th Jan 2004
gejepe
31st Jan 2004
               Reply message RE: D70 Write Speed?
ManuelH
31st Jan 2004
tuimea
01st Feb 2004
ManuelH
01st Feb 2004

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberSat 27-Dec-03 01:20 AM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sammamish, US

Aren't you putting the cart a bit before the horse here? The specifics of the D70 itself have not yet been announced, let alone the price. You're speculating in a vaccum here I'm afraid. Relax - there will always be time to jump ship later if you so choose.

Bob Johnson
Earthbound Light
Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond
http://www.earthboundlight.com

Bob Johnson - Earthbound Light - Nikonians Gallery
Lots more new images!! - Weekly Phototips and Articles - RSS Feed

Scott Basic MemberThu 29-Jan-04 04:18 PM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

The press release says that the body will most likely go for 1,000 and the kit for 1,300. Available spring 2004 so something may change. It would have been nice if Nikon matched Canon's challenge in the price range as well.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25214

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberThu 29-Jan-04 04:54 PM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 23

Sammamish, US

Until you can actually buy one, it is probably premature to make judgements about price. As posted elsewhere, according to Thom Hogan, the D70 is already being listed for sale in Japan at prices *lower* than that of the Canon 300D digital rebel. In other words, we shall see in time....

Bob Johnson
Earthbound Light

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Sat 27-Dec-03 01:25 AM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

If you want to jump ship, go ahead. The D70 is still probably 6 months from the stores.
As for focussing speed, Nikon's AF-S lenses are faster focussing than their Kwanon counterparts.
Why don't you wait and see until the actual price is announced instead of leaving for a $100 plastic lens.

Enjoy
Allan, A Comox Valley Nikonian
bigger things are attainable ~ Reach

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSun 28-Dec-03 02:10 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

The Canon lens isn't very good although that probably doesn't matter much (at purchase time) for first-time SLR buyers. I think it's wayyyyy premature to worry about the price of a camera that we have no official specs for. Note that Nikon announced what I'm guessing is its own discount-store lens and there will probably be a package for about the same price as Canon's.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

lordnikon Registered since 18th Feb 2002Wed 31-Dec-03 04:37 AM
5996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

Sounds as if you've already made your choice.

Aaron J. Heiner
Team Coast Guard Photographer
US Department of Homeland Security

mwagner1 Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberThu 01-Jan-04 03:27 AM
1924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 0

Burnet, US

Oyyy...

If the Canon is so sweet, you might go ahead and make the switch..just remember, if you switch to Canon you loose the superb source of information that you get here. That alone would keep me from switching, despite the fact that so very many of my nature shooting friends and acquaintances shoot..shudder...Canon...

Good luck with your switch...but as BJ so aptly pointed out, why get all bothered by a camera that has no definite price, features or much less, a release date??

Cheers,

Mark, an Austin Nikonian
"I am he who dearly loves his F5, but is interested in the new D2H"

Mark, an Austin Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Sausades Registered since 17th Mar 2003Fri 02-Jan-04 01:08 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 5

Gdynia, PL

Hmm. It`s sad, but i seen many people who went to Canon camp.

Quote from dpreview forum:

"I was a long time Nikon user but was swayed by the 12D and the 7-0~200 USM lens, it was like grease lightening in my hands and the last stray for me to switch was the preponderance of the new 70~200AFS/VR to focus on the crowd in football matches and refuse to require AF. We are expecting a new AF engine in the new Canon as well, only now does the D2h have the power in the Cam2000 engine to power the big lenses and the sensitivity to acquire AF accurately, the D2h currently has the AF edge but it still lags behind in AF features and the new Canon is set to build further on these by adding more hatch sensitive AF target sensors.

You only have to look at the Nikon professional market share to see that Nikon lost this battle over the last few years, Canon have been setting the standards, like it or not and Canon will set a new standard next year.

8FPS and 8MPs and more noise do not necessarily go hand in hand, one only needs to look at the various solutions to the problems of getting data off the sensor array, in the 1D Canon approached this by having two separate receiving stations (or engines) and the D2h approaches this with a variation on the theme by taking two colour channels together, that’s all green (twice what’s left) and all the blue and red together, that’s two sweeps of the senor instead of three and thus a speed gain. The 10D is the test bed for the new 1D and we all know how good the high ISO is in this sensor and it’s smaller than on the 1D, so there is great scope for an advanced CMOS using the twin channel approach to get speed (maybe Canon have figured out how to do one pass????) and we have more real-estate to mount the sensor in so the increased noise expectation is not a foregone conclusion."

greets

Michael

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 02-Jan-04 06:06 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 6

Salt Lake City, US

The D2H is the best camera in its class at the moment, whatever standard Canon sets some time in the future. The lament over Canon's "domination" goes back to people who fretted over the merits of white lenses.

Meanwhile, the D70 and 300D are entry level bodies. The performance of their professional siblings has little relevance (except psychologically) for the target market buyers.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

lordnikon Registered since 18th Feb 2002Thu 15-Jan-04 06:47 AM
5996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 6

Frederick, US

A lot of people on DPR on the Nikon forum have switched from Canon to Nikon simply because Canon has not set a standard. At the moment I believe there are some four or five different sensor sizes, so if you have more than one Canon body, you need a chart to remember the CF of each lens you have. On top of that there is the monthly firmware updates, and replacement modes as Canon cycles in new dSLR on a twelve month cycle. But keep in mind how many times has Phil come in to and yelled at the Canon guys for flaming in the Nikon forum :p

Aaron J. Heiner

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 04-Jan-04 01:26 AM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I got a good look at the D-Rebel at a recent zoo outing. Quite frankly, I didn't think it was (as they say in younger circles) all that. It's definitely an entry-level camera, judging by the number of units slaved to various 28-300 hyperzooms. So will the D70. It seems to me you're throwing away good money by re-investing in another system, especially if you've got a nice collection of AF lenses in Nikon mount already. Sounds to me like you've made up your mind already; but here's some food for thought - name one camera/optics maker who doesn't offer ED/SD/SLD type lenses in their entry-level lenses. Yep - Canon. Pentax, Minolta, Sigma and Nikon do. Canon's pretty elitist about their lens lineups. But I won't say anymore than that. It's your money.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

avistar Registered since 04th Aug 2003Mon 12-Jan-04 01:35 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 8

tel aviv, IL

I am a nikonian but will not say that i will never switch over , I will , however , jump the wagon when i think another make is better , I stick to nikon becasue i think they make all in all the best cameras and lenses - build quality , sharpness distor,, etc , again , not in all items , I've had a few chances to jump the wagon -to cannon but stayed with nikon , I think many people go over to cannon mainly due to their agressive -kudos to them BTW- marketing strategies and they add in all sorts of technical gimics , which makes people think they are more advanced . In one thing they do win is in the IS tele lenses - thats true ,
I sold all my n80 and lenses bought the cp5700 as i am about to go for the d100- or d70 -just waiting for the specs of the d70 ,, BTW , if you are more than just a very novice -beginner- with all due respect to the d300, it really feals-ergonomically- like a plastic toy lacking some very important features such as the spot metering and others,,, However it could be good for the very beginner who works more automatic and expects to go over in the very short time to d10 etc,, otherwise , seems to me rather go for digicam -like the g5,
A happy new year to all and an exciting year -so it seems
avis

http://www.pbase.com/avistar/avi_s_photographic_world

D70 180D/2.8ED, 105/2.8, 85D/1.8, 50/1.4, 18-70DX gitzo 1228 and 1226 , SB800, SB600

JW Basic MemberThu 15-Jan-04 10:34 PM
847 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well Nikon always seems a little more expensive than their counterpart's matching product. Call it tradition.

JW
...Live and learn.

dulber Registered since 02nd Feb 2003Mon 19-Jan-04 01:06 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 11

Makati City, PH

I'm hoping it would be in the low 900USD category with performance to boot. I've been looking at digital cameras lately for my next body

I'm not a pro nor derive income from my hobby. And I can't support it as much as I want to. Have been considering several prosumer digital cameras like the much awaited but disappointing Sony Cybershot DSC-F828 & the most welcome Olympus Camedia C-5060.
The latter could be made to fit within my means and has better image quality than the former (I anticipated so much of this model)

Now that the D70 is in the game I'm waiting to see since my lenses can be used on the same camera. It's a pity my older SB-28 won't sync as much on the newer digital bodies

lordnikon Registered since 18th Feb 2002Mon 19-Jan-04 04:00 AM
#13. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 12

Frederick, US

Give it another five to ten years, and you'll see sub-$500 dSLRs.

Aaron J. Heiner

gerbenrink Registered since 25th Feb 2002Fri 30-Jan-04 10:14 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 13

ZWOLLE, NL

I'll give4 it twoo years TOPPS!! i think that the kwanon webel/300d will drop in price as soon as the d70 is on the market. It's price hs been stable for +_ 3 months. Knowing kwanon this is the longest time they have kept to their original prices. They have sold their mass volumes already, made their profits, and will now try and hunt down nikon for more market share.

The 300d/webel will sell for as low as 600 by the end of the year.

Bergen Bink

NIKON is GOLD
NIKKOR is HOLY

DennisMe Registered since 12th Nov 2003Fri 30-Jan-04 11:00 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 32

Roosendaal, NL

Hey Gerben, I had no idea you were on here too!
Nice 2CU.
You'd better start scanning all your existing pics, sell the damn scanner and buy a D70 with the proceeds! OTOH, if you did that we wouldn't see you for a couple of years I guess...

Who cares about what the so-called "Rebel" will cost. It was obviously designed for the film "Toy Story III". Lower cost will still not make it more of a camera! OTOH, if the copier company decides to update the firmware and de-cripple it, it could still be a serious contender (IMHO)!

Dennis.

gerbenrink Registered since 25th Feb 2002Sun 01-Feb-04 04:05 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 33

ZWOLLE, NL

Well I just wanted to make clear that the price of digi slr's will be dropping below sub-zero in a mather of months!!!

Don't be the first to buy a camera, just wait a little until the prices drop. Look what the d-100 did, and maybe will do.

Bergen.

NIKON is GOLD
NIKKOR is HOLY

butzi911 Registered since 18th Nov 2002Mon 19-Jan-04 04:31 AM
317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "Bad Cybershot F828...?"
In response to Reply # 12

Washington, US

What's dissapointing about the sony...?

It's not a DSLR, but it looks pretty good to me.

I played with one the other day, and it seemed OK.
It would take a little bit to get used to the lcd viewfinder, it was very "soft"; not what I inherently expect when I look through a viewfinder.

Bruce.

There is no true beauty that hath not some strangeness to its proportion. - unknown

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 20-Jan-04 01:35 AM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Bad Cybershot F828...?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Same problem that haunts other point & shoot digicams - terrible shutter lag, abysmal autofocus capability (even with the hologram laser turned on) and unusuable high ISO settings (too much noise; mostly related to the smaller sensor size).

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

skamaraju Basic MemberTue 20-Jan-04 05:09 PM
96 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Bad Cybershot F828...?"
In response to Reply # 15

Guntur, IN

No, reasons you gave are not true.
Its shutter lag is much better than the other P&S digicams and users say it is almost DSLR like.
Autofocus is very good even in total darkness (you may ask me what one sees in total darkness? There is a night shot capability where you can compose the picture).
Noise is high. True. This is more at settings higher than 200 ISO, particularly when compared to DSLRs.
Main reason it was not properly received is due to its Chromatic aberration / Purple Fringing, second being noise.
sushil

sushil

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 20-Jan-04 05:49 PM
#17. "RE: Bad Cybershot F828...?"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I'll stand by my original comments - nothing beats a phase-detection TTL system - any P&S I've touched has abysmal AF compared to an SLR. While IR/laser contrast pattern systems are even more accurate, they have a limited range, and phase-detect systems coupled with fast lenses will beat that in any low-light situation. I have no operational use for NightShots - I personally think it's a gimmick thrown in to appeal to the techie crowd. High ISO? Well, here's a good reason why I need a usable ISO 800 - I shoot low-light concerts and plays A LOT. Therefore, usable ISO 800 and above is key for me. I don't mind paying for good performance, but hands down, the 828 loses against the D100 already in this category, and most likely the D70 will improve on high ISO performance when it's released. It's disappointing that the 828 will let you shoot in total darkness, but won't do so at a reasonably high ISO that would let you freeze movement if necessary.

I think you need to frame the 828 versus the D70 question this way - if you already have a set of Nikkor AF or compatible lenses, there's no reason for you to go the Sony 828 - you can leverage the strength of 35mm SLR system - portability and interchangable lenses. Granted, the 828 is a very nice all-in-one solution, but it's not a competitor for the D70's market. If given a choice between an digital SLR and a high-end point & shoot, I'll go with the more flexible solution everytime.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Paul K Basic MemberFri 23-Jan-04 12:02 AM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "Make the switch ...."
In response to Reply # 0

Rijsenhout, NL

As already said by several others, seems like you already made your choice.

Canon makes excellent equipment and it's easy to get so impressed by their agressive marketing and promotion that leaving the Nikon side seems no more then natural.

For me personally, I made the switch from Canon to Nikon long age, at the time when they decided to, after switching within a few years from the FL to the FD mount, decided to ditch the FD mount lenses and bodies for the EF mount and EOS bodies all together, leaving many Canon using working professionals out in the cold. Never looked back, and can still use my 20+ years ago bought Nikon gear side by side and intermittent with my AF and digital bodies.

This above-mentioned IMO arrogant, merely sales driven and totally disloyal attitude from Canon towards its buyers is nowadays still reflected in the constant model and firmware updates, that give the impression that Canon especially in the consumer area often only presents slightly improved 'new' models on the market to boost sales figures, rather then offer something really new.

The history of the D30-D60-10D proves the above isn't just a bold statement.

So if you now make the switch, try imagine how you will feel in a couple of month's when Canon launches their answer to the D70 and D100 successor, and long awaited D2X, and a year from now, when Canon presents the successors of those camera's and actual real competitors against those Nikons, leaving you with an 'old', already surpassed by two newer models, camera within a year or so. And try calculate how much you will have spent by that time on a 'cheaper' 'better' competitor of the D70 before finally getting a one with the desired specs.

My two cents

All in a day's work

arturov Registered since 19th Mar 2003Fri 23-Jan-04 02:09 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Make the switch ...."
In response to Reply # 18

US

Ah ha! Glad to see that I'm not the only one that felt that way when Canon ditched FD glass. I've since seen the same trends in their business models and have steered clear of their gear. Nikon understands that this is not the way to do business, and the way they introduce new gear reflects that. This looks to be one hell of a nice camera, at the right price - not just a cheapened version of the D100.

acphoto Basic MemberSun 25-Jan-04 04:09 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Make the switch ...."
In response to Reply # 19

Oakville, CA

I used to shoot with FD glass as well and decided to switch for F90. The D70 looks really promising and I hope we will see it on the store shelfs soon!
BTW: Henrys.com lists this camera for $1600CAN with no datas.

Alex, Ontario
www.alexcejkaphotography.com

gejepe Registered since 27th Jun 2003Wed 28-Jan-04 11:54 PM
639 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 0

Santiago, CL

Clearly, when you wrote this, the specs for the F70 were not *that* clear. I just got a Nikon News in my mail this morning, announcing this camera AND the new Coolpix 8700 (8 MP!).
I checked the specs, and I can only say, that if you're comparing the Rebel with the D70, you must be joking. Even the 10D specs look pretty poor next to this new Nikon: 6.1 effective Mp., 1/8000 sec. (10D "only" 1/5000), 1/500 flash sync, 3 frames per sec and a 144 shot "dynamic?" framebuffer. iTTL flash, color matrix and a host of other interesting features.
Must I go on?: Canon eclipsed again!
And, as said before, with Nikon you know at least that you won't have to dump your camera or lenses every few years, or buy an extremely expensive camera to match you Nikon peers...

Go ahead, switch if you dare.

Gerard

"Always question authority: you might invent something..."
http://gallery.gerardprins.com

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberThu 29-Jan-04 03:27 AM
#22. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sammamish, US

This from Thom Hogan's annotated D70 specs on his website:

US$999 street price without lens. Euro1100 without lens. In Japan, some stores are already listing the D70 at lower prices than Canon's Digital Rebel (300D), which probably means that there's some pricing flexibility that we'll see over time (the Digital Rebel lists for US$899 in the States).

Still think the D70 might be "too expensive?"

Bob Johnson
Earthbound Light

tflub Registered since 22nd Feb 2002Thu 29-Jan-04 06:19 PM
257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 22

US

I don't...

Flub

Please vivit my photo-centric blog: www.shutterblogger.blogspot.com

gejepe Registered since 27th Jun 2003Thu 29-Jan-04 10:02 PM
639 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 22

Santiago, CL

Right Bob, I've been seeing the same numbers... Looks like a hell of a deal to me. Hope Nikon do not take as long to ship this one, as they did with some of their lenses... (by now, I don't want the 10,5 anymore, prefer to get a long lens first... )

Gerard

ahenneka Registered since 20th May 2002Thu 29-Jan-04 07:15 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rotterdam, NL

I did take a quick look at the announcement and it seems to me that this could be a superb camera. Shutterspeed/Flashsync/writespeed and batterylife etc, but what about sensor dust prevention ?
Anyone knows more about that ?

Aart Hennekes
http://members.ams.chello.nl/ahennekes3/index.html

gejepe Registered since 27th Jun 2003Thu 29-Jan-04 09:59 PM
#27. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 26

Santiago, CL

Aart:

It seems that nobody has got the dust prob beaten yet. Dust prevention is you...

gerard

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberThu 29-Jan-04 10:08 PM
#29. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 27

Salt Lake City, US

And the dust issue is much less a concern than most non-DSLR user imagine. It's a lot easier to deal with than scanning dusty film.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

gejepe Registered since 27th Jun 2003Fri 30-Jan-04 04:11 AM
#30. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 29

Santiago, CL

Hi BJ:

I'm not so sure. Dust has been an (expensive) PAIN with my D1x...

Gerard

JH Basic MemberFri 30-Jan-04 04:39 AM
1477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 27

Tampere, FI

Actually in the new Sigma SD10 there is dust protection glass between mount and mirror.

Janne

"Sunset is always an experience - but check the ISO speed!"

Visit my site at: http://www.nordicview.fi

gejepe Registered since 27th Jun 2003Sat 31-Jan-04 04:07 AM
#34. "RE: D70 too expensive?"
In response to Reply # 31

Santiago, CL

Yeah, but WHO wants a S(what?) camera. If Nikon and the unspeakable C brand have not come up with this solution, there MUST be a reason for it. Remember, these people have been making cameras / lenses for over 40 years... Need I go on?

ManuelH Registered since 16th Dec 2003Sat 31-Jan-04 04:40 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: D70 Write Speed?"
In response to Reply # 34

Singapore, SG

Anyone know what is the write speed of D100 and D70?

I was thinking of buying CF card from my dealer which has 16x, 45x, 60x. I do not want to pay more if the camera does not support it. No point buying the fastest CF card (eg. 60x) and writing it as 16x.

Thanks.

--------------------------

D70 (Feb 04 - ??)

Please feel free to make comments on my pictures at my nikonians gallery
Be my critique, so I can learn from the mistakes

tuimea Registered since 31st Jan 2004Sun 01-Feb-04 03:50 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#36. "RE: D70 Write Speed?"
In response to Reply # 35

Berthoud, US

i THINK i recall seeing "utilizes newer fast memory writing blah blah something something" in either the press release discussion or one of the 2 "compare th 300d to the d70" discussions

7~

i touch your finger
know your darkness
your passion takes its toll

ManuelH Registered since 16th Dec 2003Sun 01-Feb-04 04:09 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: D70 Write Speed?"
In response to Reply # 36

Singapore, SG

This thread is similar to mine.
The user bought a CF 512MB 40x and one unmark 512MB.
Both wrote at the same speed but the price of the unmark 512 is about 75% cheaper.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID84/1572.html

I guess, a normal card will suffice??
Any comments from others D100 users or what is the 'best/safe' speed for CF cards?

--------------------------

D70 (Feb 04 - ??)

Please feel free to make comments on my pictures at my nikonians gallery
Be my critique, so I can learn from the mistakes

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219125 Previous topic | Next topic