nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219101
View in linear mode

Subject: "What does Eyepoint 18mm really mean?" Previous topic | Next topic
ieaarva Registered since 03rd Oct 2003Tue 03-Feb-04 09:23 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What does Eyepoint 18mm really mean?"

Oslo, NO

When reading the comparison of the D100 vs. the D70 on e.g. dpreview.com I see that they mention that the D70 has a x.75 magnification and an 18mm eyepoint whereas the D100 has 24mm eyepoint. What does this mean exactly?

When looking in the viewfinder of the D100 I see a kind'of small picture far away (well, not really - but you get my drift). Is what I see through the D70's viewfinder going to look even smaller and further away?

I remeber once I compared one of my old Nikon SLRs to my friend's Olympus SLR and noticed how the picture in the viewfinder looked much closer and larger on his camera. Needless to say I liked the Olympus viewfinder a lot!

I am seriously interrested in buying the D70, but if the viewfinder is even worse (smaller looking) than the D100's, I may want to reconsider...

Please advice

Iver Erling Ĺrva
Nikon SLR fan since 30 years - D300 user

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What does Eyepoint 18mm really mean?
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Feb 2004
gavinjung
03rd Feb 2004
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Feb 2004
ThirtyFourOFive
04th Feb 2004
ThirtyFourOFive
04th Feb 2004
ieaarva
04th Feb 2004

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 03-Feb-04 04:47 PM
14880 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What does Eyepoint 18mm really mean?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

The eyepoint distance is the distance your eye can be from the viewfinder and still see the entire image. Generally speaking, a higher eyepoint (greater distance) means the image is smaller. High eyepoint viewfinders are very attractive for users that wear glasses.

The old Olympus SLRs such as the OM-1 and OM-2 definitely gave you a large image, but they were tough to view through glasses. The trend over the last twenty years has been toward higher eyepoint viewfinders, but like a lot of things, there's good and bad with it.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

gavinjung Registered since 04th Apr 2002Tue 03-Feb-04 11:27 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What does Eyepoint 18mm really mean?"
In response to Reply # 1

Vancouver, CA

okay, so lemme get this straight. i don't wear glasses so the eye point issue shouldn't be a problem for me going from my F80. but, the image i see will be smaller because of the APS-sized sensor? i suppose that makes some sense (assuming they can't compensate with the mirror pentaprism), but i dunno how i will be able to compose my shots as well that way. do people find this annoying? or is adjusting easy?

gj

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 03-Feb-04 11:50 PM
14880 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What does Eyepoint 18mm really mean?"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

I've found that I don't notice the smaller image size too much once I get shooting, but I would certainly prefer something larger.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

ThirtyFourOFive Registered since 04th Feb 2004Wed 04-Feb-04 06:19 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What does Eyepoint 18mm really mean?"
In response to Reply # 2

Calgary, CA

I have been wondering about the eye point measurement myself. I used to work in a camera store where I had the chance to play with several different SLRs that were on the market then. I thought nothing much of the viewfinders until I picked up the F50 that just rolled in and the image through its viewfinder was significantly larger and brighter than any of the other SLRs. It was awesome and made the camera a real joy to use.

This message thread peaked my interest so I just ran off and checked the F50 specs and it indeed is listed as having a 18mm eye point!!

So on this basis I would say that the D70 will display a nice big image through the viewfinder. I am very happy about this and hope my analysis is correct.

I had a brief chance to look through a D100 in a store and noticed right away that the viewfinder was not as big or bright as the F50, and it is listed as 24mm.

ThirtyFourOFive Registered since 04th Feb 2004Wed 04-Feb-04 06:35 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What does Eyepoint 18mm really mean?"
In response to Reply # 4

Calgary, CA

Hmmm...reading many of the posts in the penta-mirror versus prism thread I found it generally agreed that the eyepoint and the image brightness/size are not really related - so unfortunately the last post could be overly positive. Looks like D70 viewfinder may be lacking in several ways.

ieaarva Registered since 03rd Oct 2003Wed 04-Feb-04 10:19 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What does Eyepoint 18mm really mean?"
In response to Reply # 5

Oslo, NO

So I guess we'll just have to wait untill someone that actually tried the camera can tell us then...

Iver Erling Ĺrva
Nikon SLR fan since 30 years - D300 user

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219101 Previous topic | Next topic