Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219069
View in linear mode

Subject: "D70 hands on preview at dpreview.com" Previous topic | Next topic
suaide Registered since 12th Feb 2003Tue 03-Feb-04 08:02 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D70 hands on preview at dpreview.com"

Sao Paulo, BR

Hello all

look at
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/

They just posted it. Funny things I realized are

1. 1/500 flash sync only with the external flash? Interal syncs only at 1/60??? Too bad

2. No D-TTL so the SB80/50DX are useless

Alex Suaide

----------------------------
Dr. Alexandre Suaide
Dep. de Física Nuclear
Universidade de São Paulo, Brasil

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D70 hands on preview at dpreview.com
Sausades
03rd Feb 2004
dragonclw
03rd Feb 2004
suaide
03rd Feb 2004
BJNicholls Gold Member
04th Feb 2004
tuimea
04th Feb 2004
ThirtyFourOFive
04th Feb 2004
vchong
04th Feb 2004
gavinjung
04th Feb 2004

Sausades Registered since 17th Mar 2003Tue 03-Feb-04 09:36 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D70 hands on preview at dpreview.com"
In response to Reply # 0

Gdynia, PL

Hmm?

quote from Nikon`s prospect: "Nikon’s built-in iTTL automatic balanced Fill-Flash can shoot at synchronized speeds up to 1/500 s"

greets

Michael

dragonclw Registered since 04th Apr 2002Tue 03-Feb-04 09:49 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D70 hands on preview at dpreview.com"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

In the comparsion chart...it said "YES" to D-TTL under D70...??

suaide Registered since 12th Feb 2003Tue 03-Feb-04 10:02 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D70 hands on preview at dpreview.com"
In response to Reply # 2

Sao Paulo, BR

Hello

Page 4. Body and Design

They quote

"The D70 has a standard Nikon hot-shoe which supports a wide range of Nikon Speedlights including the new SB-800 and SB-600, these new flashes support the Nikon i-TTL flash metering protocol. One thing the D70 doesn't support is D-TTL metering."

One extra thing that I noticed is the fact that in the setup menu, it is not necessary to have the AC adapter in order to clean the CCD. Nice...

Alex

----------------------------
Dr. Alexandre Suaide
Dep. de Física Nuclear
Universidade de São Paulo, Brasil

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 04-Feb-04 01:09 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D70 hands on preview at dpreview.com"
In response to Reply # 3

Salt Lake City, US

...and scary. I've read two reports of folks bypassing the AC power and destroying their shutters when the the bulb setting timed out. I hope the D70 has a failsafe that would hold the shutter open if the batteries gave out.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

tuimea Registered since 31st Jan 2004Wed 04-Feb-04 02:49 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D70 hands on preview at dpreview.com"
In response to Reply # 0

Berthoud, US

"The built-in auto pop-up flash can synchronize at shutter speeds of up to 1/500 sec. for great fill flash effects."
- Nikon Euro press release

i touch your finger
know your darkness
your passion takes its toll

ThirtyFourOFive Registered since 04th Feb 2004Wed 04-Feb-04 04:59 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D70 hands on preview at dpreview.com"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

I have been avidly reading the commentary and reviews that are bouncing around on the D70. I must say the new one on dpreview is the most in-depth I have seen to date. Kudos on the role-over image comparison between the D70 and D100!! The sound clips of continuous shooting should be good too.

In all of the images of the camera I notice that the texturing on the D70 appears "lighter" and less rubbery than the D100. Just from the pictures it does not look as attractive to me (the texture that is). Is it likely that the D70 will have a more plastic feeling grip texture on the body than, say, the D100 and up? It is in a different price bracket and more consumer-orientated so this will not surprise me at all. I am kind of hoping (foolishly probably) that it is just the product images and will end up feeling pro in the hand.

Any ideas or comments out there?

vchong Basic MemberWed 04-Feb-04 07:25 AM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D70 hands on preview at dpreview.com"
In response to Reply # 6

Victoria, CA

It's pretty clear Nikon has not built the D70 to its own professional standards, but that being said, it looks a lot more professional than the Canon Digital Rebel!

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

gavinjung Registered since 04th Apr 2002Wed 04-Feb-04 06:12 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D70 hands on preview at dpreview.com"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

yeah, what do you all think of this?
they state in the hands on preview the internal synch of 1/60 and external synch of 1/500. however, everything else i've read simply reports the 1/500, assumably for the built-in flash as well as externals. what do you guys think is correct? and if they're wrong, could they mean something else? 1/60 would really suck cuz the internal flash would be a waste if it couldn't be used for fillflash.

gj

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #219069 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.