Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218971
View in linear mode

Subject: "DX lenses life" Previous topic | Next topic
nulldev Registered since 13th Apr 2003Wed 04-Feb-04 06:21 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DX lenses life"

Grand Rapids, US

I've been thinking about getting the D70 which would be my first digital camera. I'm planning on getting the lenses that gets bundled with it. I'm just wondering if anybody thinks that the CCD on DSLR's are going to eventually be at the 35mm range for the average person to afford. If that happens, what will become of the current line of DX lenses? Will DX lenses work with larger CCD's correctly? I know they not recommended to use on a 35mm SLR. I just don't have to waste money on DX lenses if they are going to have a short life span.

I know that the answers will probably be all speculation.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: DX lenses life
Bartman01
04th Feb 2004
jtzim
04th Feb 2004
bobj Silver Member
04th Feb 2004
nulldev
05th Feb 2004
Len Shepherd Gold Member
05th Feb 2004
bobj Silver Member
05th Feb 2004
jborzak
05th Feb 2004

Bartman01 Registered since 02nd Feb 2004Wed 04-Feb-04 06:37 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DX lenses life"
In response to Reply # 0

Houston, US

I would say your are out of luck if the sensor grows considerably. If it only increases some then it may work with some vignetting or cropping may occur.

There is a good writeup on the DX format here:
http://www.nikonpro.ca/dx/index.esp?tid=56157c57375a88ef1d0bea46b235f932

Personally, that lens is a great value for the money if it performs well optically. If a lager sensor comes out, you could always sell that lens with the body.

jtzim Basic MemberWed 04-Feb-04 07:16 PM
153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: DX lenses life"
In response to Reply # 0

Prince George, CA

This is a great question.

A couple of years back I would have suggested that Nikon's tradition of backwards compatibility would offer some assurance of longevity of their new products. This has all changed with digital, as the technology advance rate far exceeds that of the film era. Products are being introduced and replaced at such a rate that the philosophy of maintaining longevity probably cannot be fulfilled by Nikon. A good example is the DX flash protocol, it has now been eclipsed by i-TTL, rendering those DX flashes less effective on newer digital bodies like the D70.

Until there is a concrete answer to the Full Frame question, there will be risk associated with buying into the 1.5/DX philosophy. Perhaps the new offerings at PMA will illuminate the issue a bit more clearly.

Ted Zimmerman

My Website

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberWed 04-Feb-04 07:57 PM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: DX lenses life"
In response to Reply # 0

Sammamish, US

This is getting to be a very frequent question with a lot of speculation involved that needs some clearing up.

First, the DX format itself: the image produced is smaller (at at least some focal lengths) than that needed to fill a 35mm film frame. If you use these lenses on a film body (or a DSLR with a larger sensor) you will certainly get significant vignetting. The 12-24DX for instance will work fine on film from about 17mm out to 24mm. Wider than this though and you will see obvious problems. At 12mm, the image will be a round circle with a black background. This is not a problem for the intended use though since the DX sensor is small enough that the image circle completely covers it at all focal lengths. If the image circle covered the larger size completely at all focal lengths as well, the lens would not be marketed as a DX lens. Therefore, this problem will exist on all DX lenses at least at some zoom settings.

As to whether this is a problem or not, it depends on how you look at it of course, but instead of repeating myself from another thread, I invite you to review the following post:

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=2680&forum=DCForumID71

Bob Johnson
Earthbound Light
Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond
http://www.earthboundlight.com

Bob Johnson - Earthbound Light - Nikonians Gallery
Lots more new images!! - Weekly Phototips and Articles - RSS Feed

nulldev Registered since 13th Apr 2003Thu 05-Feb-04 12:55 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: DX lenses life"
In response to Reply # 3

Grand Rapids, US

Thank you for the good advice. I think Bob states it best that if you want it, get it now because there will always be something different down the road which you'll always be waiting for and never buy anything.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Thu 05-Feb-04 06:54 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: DX lenses life"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

> I'm just wondering if anybody
>thinks that the CCD on DSLR's are going to eventually be at
>the 35mm range for the average person to afford.

The D70 will cost about the same as an F100.
The D100 cost about as much as an F5.

I think it fair to say the Canon is the only top drawer DSLR of the 3 full frame models available.
It costs about the same as 7 F100's.

How much can an average person afford?

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberThu 05-Feb-04 07:12 PM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: DX lenses life"
In response to Reply # 5

Sammamish, US

here's an interesting data point: When the F100 first came out it sold for $1499 from B&H. The D100 currently sells for the same from B&H.

Bob Johnson
Earthbound Light
http://www.earthboundlight.com

Bob Johnson - Earthbound Light - Nikonians Gallery
Lots more new images!! - Weekly Phototips and Articles - RSS Feed

jborzak Registered since 26th Nov 2003Thu 05-Feb-04 10:13 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: DX lenses life"
In response to Reply # 0

Cumming, US

These are some very interesting additional information. There is another topic realted to this in the Nikkor section see: http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID6/3655.html

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218971 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.