Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218897
View in linear mode

Subject: "Minimum macro ratio SLR vs DSLR" Previous topic | Next topic
ieaarva Registered since 03rd Oct 2003Sun 08-Feb-04 06:16 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Minimum macro ratio SLR vs DSLR"

Oslo, NO

Is it correct to assume that e.g. a 60 mm Micro-Nikkor, which has a closest focusing distance (CFD) of around 8 inches where it gives a 1:1 ratio when used on a 35mm SLR would give the same CFD but a ratio of 0.67:1 or alternatively 1:1 and approx 12 inches CFD?

Sounds pretty ideal (and much cheaper than the 105mm)

Iver Erling Ĺrva
Nikon SLR fan since 30 years - D300 user

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Minimum macro ratio SLR vs DSLR
walkerr Administrator
08th Feb 2004
ieaarva
08th Feb 2004
JMWarren
08th Feb 2004
walkerr Administrator
08th Feb 2004
Tamislan
08th Feb 2004

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 08-Feb-04 06:34 PM
14596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Minimum macro ratio SLR vs DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

This is where the 1.5x crop ratio gets confusing for people. The reproduction ratio doesn't change with a DSLR. A 60mm micro gets 1:1 with 35mm and 1:1 with a DSLR. There is a difference in the composition, however, and the one with the DSLR is quite a bit tighter. Because of that, you can either back up a little to get an equivalent composition to the 35mm (and gain working distance) or have a shot that appears to be closer than 1:1 with 35mm.

Clear as mud? If it seems confusing, remember that repro ratios are defined as the the size of the subject's image on film or CCD divided by the size of the actual subject. When the 60mm micro is set at 1:1, the size of the image of the subject on the film is the same as the size of the image of the subject on the CCD - no difference. Because that doesn't change and the size of the actual subject doesn't change, the repro ratio doesn't change.

A really simple, practical way of viewing the situation is that you'll have the equivalent of a 90mm macro lens that will appear to focus closer than 1:1 in 35mm terms. The only caveat is that you'll get a bit more depth of field (about a stop worth) than you would with a 90mm lens on a 35mm body. That's usually a good thing rather than a bad thing. Is it a good situation? Yes, it is.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

ieaarva Registered since 03rd Oct 2003Sun 08-Feb-04 07:35 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Minimum macro ratio SLR vs DSLR"
In response to Reply # 1

Oslo, NO

Right, so for all practical purposes it would be like having a .67:1 ratio although as you say the actual ratio is 1:1. It is what we get in the picture that counts, isn't it?

It's the same thing as DSLRs would need a 24mm get the same picture as a 35mm SLR takes using a 36mm and a 200mm to work like a 300mm etc, although strictly speaking the actual lens focal length is still 24mm and 200mm.

I believe it is going to be increasingly difficult to keep on to the correct usage of focal lengths as more and more people svitch to DSLRs. Either that, or we'll see a change when the first time camera buyers starts buying DSLRs a few years from now. Also it would help if the photo literature was updated to talk about DSLRs and the actual focal lengths rather than the 1.5x factor vs 35mm film which really is (or will be) of less and less interrest as less people uses film.

Another thing that I have been wondering about is this; Since the focal length is the same but the angle of view is different, it must actually be impossible to take exactly the same pictures with DSLRs as with SLRs since the distance between the camera and the foreground object will be different compared to the background. May not make all that much of a difference, but it is different. Is this correct?

Iver Erling Ĺrva
Nikon SLR fan since 30 years - D300 user

JMWarren Registered since 24th Jun 2002Sun 08-Feb-04 07:41 PM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Minimum macro ratio SLR vs DSLR"
In response to Reply # 2

Mississauga/London, CA

Checck out this thread http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID86/49.html
It's got some great photos that explain the whole thing pretty well... While macro photos, it should show you a pretty good comparsion between focal lenght and FOV.

Mike Warren

Mike Warren

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 08-Feb-04 09:52 PM
14596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Minimum macro ratio SLR vs DSLR"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

I think you've got a handle of the repro ratio.

Regarding getting the same photo: I think you're getting the concept twisted up. You can get essentially the same shot with a DSLR and a 60mm lens as you could with a 35mm SLR and a 90mm lens. You'll stand in exactly the same place and the distance to your subject and its relationship to other items in the frame will be exactly the same. The only difference will be depth of field. If you open up one more stop in aperture, the photos should look almost identical.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Tamislan Registered since 12th Nov 2002Sun 08-Feb-04 09:50 PM
462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Minimum macro ratio SLR vs DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

I just bought the 60 mm Micro-Nikkor in anticipation of this very fact. I just sold my F80 and gear in order to get the D70. I take lots of macro photos such as the ones on this page:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/985/10173.html?1075053193

The subjects in those photos are less than 10 mm in diameter. I'm currently using a Nikon 4500 for them but I anticipate a great increase in quality using the D70. So I'm eagerly awaiting its release. Can you believe I considered buying the Canon?

http://www.caudata.org/images/sil_2.gif
An Irish Nikonian in Dublin, Ireland.
My Portfolio Gallery is here and my other galleries are here.
My other obsession is Caudata.org.

An Irishman resident in the USA.
My sadly way out of date pbase gallery is here.
My other obsession is Caudata.org.
My home page is here.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218897 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.