Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218841
View in linear mode

Subject: "a stupid deal breaker on the d70" Previous topic | Next topic
CyanJaguar Registered since 10th Aug 2003Thu 05-Feb-04 05:35 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"a stupid deal breaker on the d70"

I am sure that the 300d owners are kicking themselves in the shin because the d70 is so much better at a similar price point. Either way, they lose, because if canon retaliates, it will be with a camera that has more features at the current 300d price point. Suckers.

ANYHOW, I cant believe that Nikon could be so stupid, but this will certainly exclude me from buying a D70.

They is no option to add a vertical grip! Can you believe this. I have big hands and a camera is unuseable without a vertical grip.

What on earth was Nikon thinking?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70
highlander
05th Feb 2004
vchong
05th Feb 2004
highlander
05th Feb 2004
Jim R
05th Feb 2004
CyanJaguar
06th Feb 2004
avm247 Moderator
06th Feb 2004
vchong
05th Feb 2004
JMWarren
05th Feb 2004
ieaarva
08th Feb 2004
vchong
08th Feb 2004
ieaarva
08th Feb 2004
Reply message Carve one out of wood.
BJNicholls Gold Member
05th Feb 2004
Reply message RE: Carve one out of wood.
CyanJaguar
06th Feb 2004
     Reply message RE: Carve one out of wood.
avm247 Moderator
06th Feb 2004
Covey22 Moderator
09th Feb 2004

highlander Basic MemberThu 05-Feb-04 08:07 AM
259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 0

Maple Ridge, CA

Nikon looked at the sales records and saw how many MB-D100's sold in compared to D100's. In the store I work at less than half of the D100's sold bought the MB-D100.
So in order to keep a low price point something had to go. I think that this camera is aimed at the consumer level and some advanced amateur.
For the more needy type (Advanced amateurs & Prosumers) I think that a D200 is not far behind. But that is just me speculating at this point.
That is what I think Nikon was thinking.

John R
Nikonian to the West Coast of Canada
Taking life 2-gigs at a time

vchong Basic MemberThu 05-Feb-04 03:04 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 0

Victoria, CA

Perhaps if there is enough demand somebody will make a third-party product? Here on Nikonians, we've seen some third party MB-16 clones in the past...

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

highlander Basic MemberThu 05-Feb-04 04:38 PM
259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 2

Maple Ridge, CA

That would be only possible if Nikon thought about it ahead of time and made sure that the necessary connections were available on the bottom of the camera. And if they went that far I see no reason that they would not make it themselves then.
But that is just me.

John R
Nikonian to the West Coast of Canada
Taking life 2-gigs at a time

Jim R Registered since 03rd Feb 2004Thu 05-Feb-04 06:17 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 3

Eau Claire, US

"Either way, they lose"

Disagree. The Canon Eos-D people got to use the camera for the last 6 months.

The only people that lose are those with a bad case of the "latest-greatest-itis." There will always be something better just around the corner (especially with digital).

CyanJaguar Registered since 10th Aug 2003Fri 06-Feb-04 12:03 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 4

>"Either way, they lose"
>
>Disagree. The Canon Eos-D people got to use the camera for
>the last 6 months.
>
>The only people that lose are those with a bad case of the
>"latest-greatest-itis." There will always be something
>better just around the corner (especially with digital).

oooh. So they got to use the camera for six months. Lets see. The level of users who bought the 300d probably had pictures that just had to be shot with a 300d. Had canon not released it, they would have died or lost their jobs

Pardon my sarcasm, but people I know see a camera as a long-term purchase, and they are not rich enough to pay $1000 for a camera that was as crippled as a 300d.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberFri 06-Feb-04 04:38 PM
18536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 8

Rancho Cordova, US

I respectfully disagree...the market that this "entry level" dSLR is aimed at is a market that is interested in technogoodies: minature MP3 players, HDTV, TIVO, WiFi, etc, microchips and RAM. They would not hesitate to drop a product next year on eBay for the "latest, bestest, fastest, smallest..."

The copier company released their "entry" dSLR six months a head of Nikon. They will also release three more models to fix the shortcomings of that model to match the Nikon D70 (my opinion).

As far as the lack of a battery pack is concerned, Nikon has sold many cameras without that feature. That it is missing, to me implies that if you need that feature, step up to the next model (or its replacement).

When I bought the N70, I wanted the N90s. Couldn't afford it. So I make do with what I can afford. Sure it has its short comings: no DOF preview, no LCD illuminator, lower build quality. Still, I do not find its short comings a "deal breaker;" likewise, I do not see the D70 as a "deal breaker" for its target segment. You have a choices: get "older" technology in a D100 (and a batt. pack); get a D70 (newer, less expensive, no batt. pack); get a D1X, D2H ...

Regards,

Anthony

Find out more about me on the Moderator Page
"The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard."

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

vchong Basic MemberThu 05-Feb-04 10:40 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 3

Victoria, CA

Yeah, if they thought about putting a vertical release or something else on the grip. It could just be a battery holder though, like the MB-16, without the vertical shutter release.

Sure, it would have been nice to have a vertical shutter release for the F80, but it's absence didn't stop me from buying the camera.

JMWarren Registered since 24th Jun 2002Thu 05-Feb-04 11:08 PM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 5

Mississauga/London, CA

If they built in an IR transmiter it could also be a shutter release....just with a little more lag....just an idea.

Mike Warren

Mike Warren

ieaarva Registered since 03rd Oct 2003Sun 08-Feb-04 04:44 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 5

Oslo, NO

Why can't a vertical grip contain a shytter release? It would just have to contain the same electronics as the ML-L3 remote release unit.

Iver Erling Ĺrva
Nikon SLR fan since 30 years - D300 user

vchong Basic MemberSun 08-Feb-04 10:22 PM
#14. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 13

Victoria, CA

Well, in theory it could, I don't know if the mechanics work out.

The ML-L3 remote release is an infrared remote and therefore operates by line-of-sight. The IR window on the D70 is located above the "D70" badge on the front of the unit and is angled slightly upwards.

If the grip were to include an IR transmitter, I don't believe that there is any suitable angle to properly illuminate the sensor.

ieaarva Registered since 03rd Oct 2003Sun 08-Feb-04 04:40 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 3

Oslo, NO

But if an eventual 3rd party screw-on vertical grip contained the same electronics as the ML-L3 it would work, wouldn't it?

Iver Erling Ĺrva
Nikon SLR fan since 30 years - D300 user

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberThu 05-Feb-04 11:24 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Carve one out of wood."
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

You may not like using a small camera without vertical grip, but I have a hard time imaging hands so large the camera's unusable. But then we haven't seen your hands .

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

CyanJaguar Registered since 10th Aug 2003Fri 06-Feb-04 12:05 AM
#9. "RE: Carve one out of wood."
In response to Reply # 7

>You may not like using a small camera without vertical grip,
>but I have a hard time imaging hands so large the camera's
>unusable. But then we haven't seen your hands .

Its about convenience, and I wont force myself to use a camera without a grip when I can get another one with a grip.

Nikon will release an update soon enough that has a vertical grip. Or, the prices at competitors will get low enough that I can write off my small investment in Nikon glass.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberFri 06-Feb-04 04:40 PM
18536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Carve one out of wood."
In response to Reply # 9

Rancho Cordova, US

Nikon will release an update soon enough that has a vertical grip. Or, the prices at competitors will get low enough that I can write off my small investment in Nikon glass.

The choice of course is yours. I wish you luck on your decision.

Anthony

Find out more about me on the Moderator Page
"The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard."

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 09-Feb-04 02:12 AM
10768 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: a stupid deal breaker on the d70"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Okay - I think everyone's gotten their viewpoints across. Thanks for everyone's thoughts - this thread is now locked. Let's move on to other things please.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218841 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.