nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218799
View in linear mode

Subject: "What's the diff...?" Previous topic | Next topic
nightpiper Registered since 29th Sep 2003Thu 05-Feb-04 08:26 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What's the diff...?"

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between i-TTL & D-TTL? if the D70 doesn't have D-TTL, is it really rhat important?

thxs!! :>

Colour Resolution Dynamic range

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What's the diff...?
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
06th Feb 2004
edwin1ejb Silver Member
06th Feb 2004
Rally
06th Feb 2004
Bartman01
06th Feb 2004
edwin1ejb Silver Member
07th Feb 2004
Rally
07th Feb 2004
Bartman01
07th Feb 2004
avistar
08th Feb 2004
nightpiper
08th Feb 2004
danchamp
10th Feb 2004
Bartman01
10th Feb 2004

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 06-Feb-04 01:46 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What's the diff...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

i-TTL offers the intelligent remote features, white balance and it sounds like more accurate metering. The D70's having only i-TTL support means you can't use the DX model flash units in TTL, you'd have to invest in new speedlights. That's fine if you don't own older units, but it's an extra hassle and expense for the folks who do (just as getting DX flash units was a hassle for owners of earlier non-DX flash units).

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

edwin1ejb Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2003Fri 06-Feb-04 03:46 PM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What's the diff...?"
In response to Reply # 1

Glendale, US

According to this site http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/ it has both D-TTL and i-TTL

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Rally Registered since 31st Jan 2004Fri 06-Feb-04 08:44 PM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What's the diff...?"
In response to Reply # 2

Auckland, NZ

Um... not according to page 4 of the review

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/page4.asp

"The D70 has a standard Nikon hot-shoe which supports a wide range of Nikon Speedlights including the new SB-800 and SB-600, these new flashes support the Nikon i-TTL flash metering protocol. One thing the D70 doesn't support is D-TTL metering."

also page 2 states.

"TTL : TTL flash control by 1,005 pixel RGB sensor
o Built-in Speedlight: i-TTL balanced fill-flash or standard i-TTL flash (spot metering or mode dial set to M)
o SB-800 or 600: i-TTL balanced fill-flash or standard i-TTL flash (spot metering)
• Auto aperture: Available with SB-800 and 600 with CPU lens
• Non-TTL Auto: Available with Speedlights such as SB-800, 80DX, 28DX, 28, 27, and 22s
• Range-priority manual available with SB-800"

Where did you fined the reference to D-TTL support

Cheers
Peter

Bartman01 Registered since 02nd Feb 2004Fri 06-Feb-04 09:48 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What's the diff...?"
In response to Reply # 2

Houston, US

According to the specs I have seen published on Nikon's web sites and from direct contact with Nikon support, the D70 will not support D-TTL at all. I hope this is incorrect, but it seems as of now that these flashes will loose all camera functionality (other than triggering them) with the D70.

In answer to the original question - i-TTL is supposed to fix some issues pros had with D-TTL (not that serious of a flash user to really know what they were).

From what I have read: i-TTL flashes will work as D-TTL on bodies that don't support i-TTL. D-TTL flashes will work with i-TTL bodies, but unless the body specifically supports D-TTL as well (the N70 doesn't appear to) then the flash loses all TTL ability.

Seems kind of silly to eliminate D-TTL support from the N70 given the cost of flashes and the prosumer (read less money to spend) market they are going for. Maybe the D100 replacement (croses fingers) will keep D-TTL support as an enticement to buy it.

edwin1ejb Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2003Sat 07-Feb-04 07:38 AM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What's the diff...?"
In response to Reply # 4

Glendale, US

on page 1 of the link i posted it says "D-ttl yes" "i-ttl yes"
am i missing something?

Rally Registered since 31st Jan 2004Sat 07-Feb-04 09:17 AM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What's the diff...?"
In response to Reply # 5

Auckland, NZ

Hmm... So it does.

Page one says "Yes" to D-TTL and page 4 says "No"

Maybe page one is from Nikon specs and Page 4 is from hands on testing. It does state the preview is not a production model.

"This preview is based on a pre-production Nikon D70."

Yet another thing we will have to wait to find out what it will finally be. The confusion on capabilities of the camera is starting to wear thin.

Bartman01 Registered since 02nd Feb 2004Sat 07-Feb-04 06:41 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What's the diff...?"
In response to Reply # 5

Houston, US

From the Nikon USA Web Site Technical Specifications. Note item 3:

Flash Control :
1) TTL: TTL flash control by 1,005 pixel RGB sensor Built-in Speedlight: i-TTL balanced Fill-Flash or standard i-TTL flash (spot metering or mode dial set to ) SB-800 or 600: i-TTL balanced Fill-Flash or standard i-TTL flash (spot metering)
2) Auto aperture: Available with SB-800 and 600 with CPU lens
3) Non-TTL Auto: Available with Speedlights such as SB-800, 80DX, 28DX, 28, 27, and 22s
4) Range-priority manual available with SB-800 and 600

avistar Registered since 04th Aug 2003Sun 08-Feb-04 02:16 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What's the diff...?"
In response to Reply # 7

tel aviv, IL

I have the 80dx and I dont know why I got all upset about it , obviously i-ttl has its advantages,and if d70 doesn't support d-ttl , my 80dx will fire at non ttl automatic , or of course manual modes .
I will however , get a 800dx for its i-ttl system, and use the 80 dx as a slave , at non ttl mode , of course , for side or backlighting situations ,
well , sorry for talking to myself, but I had to spell it out ,and maybe also resolve some doubts with fellow photograpers over here
avi

http://www.pbase.com/avistar/avi_s_photographic_world

D70 180D/2.8ED, 105/2.8, 85D/1.8, 50/1.4, 18-70DX gitzo 1228 and 1226 , SB800, SB600

nightpiper Registered since 29th Sep 2003Sun 08-Feb-04 03:05 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What's the diff...?"
In response to Reply # 8

thank you all for the response. so, does anyone consider this a good buy?

well, i ask this because, it has so many new features but there's just this one important feature that's lacking. i, for one, would use an external flash & definitley would welcome the D-TTL function (hassle free usage).

anyone out there got a better recommendation over this kind of setup?

Colour Resolution Dynamic range

danchamp Registered since 10th Feb 2004Tue 10-Feb-04 04:42 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What's the diff...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Plantsville, US

Ittl is Dttl on steroids. What does Dttl give us that Ittl lacks?
Dttl had pre flash issues. Close, but no cigar. Ittl is true
wireless, and the D70's onboard flash can tigger a remote sb800
or sb600. Anybody know how they do that? Also, can the D70 on
board flash fire while in the commander mode? What does Ittl
mean on an N80? No ttl at all?
... ...
....Dan.....
... ...

... ...
....Dan.....
... ..

Bartman01 Registered since 02nd Feb 2004Tue 10-Feb-04 05:37 AM
#11. "RE: What's the diff...?"
In response to Reply # 10

Houston, US

> What does Ittl mean on an N80? No ttl at all?

Best I can tell, the iTTL flashes will act just like DTTL flashes on a DTTL body

Here is a compatibility chart for the SB800: http://www.nikon-euro.com/kdb/en/2003/6513/sb800.htm
It shows TTL and 3D Matrix support for the N80

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218799 Previous topic | Next topic