Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218783
View in linear mode

Subject: "D70" Previous topic | Next topic
rlubash Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Mon 09-Feb-04 05:46 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D70"

Virginia Beach, US

I noticed in the recent reviews on the D70, that the camera has an image rotation feature,and can turn a horizontal image into a vertical image. Does this mean that the D70 does not require the camera be turned vertical inorder to take a vertical picture? Anyone?

Ralph Lubash

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D70
bobj Silver Member
09th Feb 2004
gavinjung
09th Feb 2004
JMWarren
09th Feb 2004
wbvreeuwijk
10th Feb 2004
JMWarren
10th Feb 2004
wbvreeuwijk
10th Feb 2004
JMWarren
10th Feb 2004

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberMon 09-Feb-04 07:06 PM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Sammamish, US

No it does not. What it means is that if the camera *is* turned, the file that comes out will be taller than it is wide. If the camera is held normally (not turned) the file will be wider than it is tall.

By contrast, on the D100, all the files are wider than they are tall, and the ones shot vertical are laying on their sides. You have to rotate them yourself in Photoshop (or whatever). The D70 feature just saves you a step.

Bob Johnson
Earthbound Light
Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond
http://www.earthboundlight.com

Bob Johnson - Earthbound Light - Nikonians Gallery
Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond
Lots more new images!! - Weekly Phototips and Articles - RSS Feed

gavinjung Registered since 04th Apr 2002Mon 09-Feb-04 07:07 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

no, you'll still have to turn the camera to take a vertical picture. (tho that would be pretty handy, eh? ) the image rotation feature on the D70 just means that the camera can sense what orientation it is in so that the images are recorded appropriately. this way, when you go to view or edit your images on the LCD or your computer, they'll be oriented right side up. this feature is great to have, but actually, it's not new. a lot of point and shoot digital cameras have this feature. too bad tho, i like your idea! but for it to be possible, they'd have to design some mechanism that could rotate the digital sensor and modify the viewfinder.

gj

JMWarren Registered since 24th Jun 2002Mon 09-Feb-04 07:07 PM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga/London, CA

Not exactly, The image sensor has the lenght:width ratio as 35mm. With older DSLR's an image taken in the portrait format would result in an image file that would need rotating to make it "upright". The D70 will do this in camera, saving some post processing time and making things easier to look at on the camera.

Mike Warren

Mike Warren

wbvreeuwijk Registered since 05th Feb 2004Tue 10-Feb-04 03:22 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D70"
In response to Reply # 3

Amersfoort, NL, NL

Hi,

From the 'leaked' images that were shot with the D70 I saw something different. The image has the same orientation regardless wether they are shot upright or sideways. There is however a tag in the image that descibes the orientation so that image manipulation software can use this and shows it in the right orientation. This is described on page 168 of the D70 manual.

Regards,
Bas

JMWarren Registered since 24th Jun 2002Tue 10-Feb-04 03:31 PM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D70"
In response to Reply # 4

Mississauga/London, CA

I'm 99% sure that the above answers are correct. Here are some more photos, that show the frame to be ratio typical of 35mm. Photos
It would really suck if nikon employed a square frame...reminds me of 126....shudder

Mike Warren

Mike Warren

wbvreeuwijk Registered since 05th Feb 2004Tue 10-Feb-04 03:38 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: D70"
In response to Reply # 5

Amersfoort, NL, NL

Hi Mike,

I'm not refering to the aspect ratio of the image. This doesn't change. What I mean is that each image from the D70 has information embedded that tells the software what the right orientation for the image is. The playback function of the Nikon has the ability to either ignore this information or use it to display the image in the right orientation (page 168 of D70 manual).

Hope I made myself clear,

Regards,
Bas.

JMWarren Registered since 24th Jun 2002Tue 10-Feb-04 03:48 PM
#7. "RE: D70"
In response to Reply # 6

Mississauga/London, CA

Oh, that clears things up. I just got a little confused. Thanks for the clarification!

Mike Warren

Mike Warren

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218783 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.