nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218721
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-50DX" Previous topic | Next topic
Websquad Basic MemberSat 31-Jan-04 04:19 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-50DX"

Will the SB-50DX be compatable with the D70? If it is, are there some new flash capabilities that will be missing?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-50DX
JMWarren
31st Jan 2004
Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions
31st Jan 2004
Websquad
31st Jan 2004
JMWarren
31st Jan 2004
ahockLo
02nd Feb 2004
vchong
02nd Feb 2004
Websquad
02nd Feb 2004
Bartman01
03rd Feb 2004
vchong
03rd Feb 2004
rgestes
10th Feb 2004
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
10th Feb 2004

JMWarren Registered since 24th Jun 2002Sat 31-Jan-04 05:17 AM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-50DX"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga/London, CA

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the DX flashes will not be fully compatable with the D70, which means i need a new flash! I'm sure someone out there will know more than i do!

Mike Warren

Mike Warren

Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions Charter MemberSat 31-Jan-04 05:33 AM
12790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-50DX"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

From Nikon's own website:

Flash Control
1) TTL : TTL flash control by 1,005 pixel RGB sensor
Built-in Speedlight: i-TTL balanced fill-flash or standard i-TTL flash (spot metering or mode dial set to M)
SB-800 or 600: i-TTL balanced fill-flash or standard i-TTL flash (spot metering)
2) Auto aperture: Available with SB-800 with CPU lens
3) Non-TTL Auto: Available with Speedlights such as SB-800, 80DX, 28DX, 28, 27, and 22s
4) Range-priority manual available with SB-800

So it looks like only the SB-800 or SB-600 will give you TTL flash metering. The others will give non-TTL (ie using the speedlight's own sensor).

This is not really a good move by Nikon in my opinion. It further fragments and confuses the in-system compatibility issues which have come to the fore in recent years.

Paul Fisher
Nikonian in Perth, Western Australia
My home page

Websquad Basic MemberSat 31-Jan-04 05:39 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-50DX"
In response to Reply # 2

Well, when you add the cost of a new flash and a new flash cord (obviously the SC-17 will have to be replaced), that changes the equation for purchasing a D70 ...

...and I forgot, another $20 for a OmniBounce to fit the new flash: it keeps adding up.

JMWarren Registered since 24th Jun 2002Sat 31-Jan-04 09:03 PM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-50DX"
In response to Reply # 3

Mississauga/London, CA

Why would you need a new SC-17? I belive that the flash shoe appears to be exactly the same as that of my f-80.

Mike Warren

Mike Warren

ahockLo Registered since 24th Jan 2004Mon 02-Feb-04 04:01 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-50DX"
In response to Reply # 2

Dear all,
I have check this with the Nikon official, below is their
answer to my question.

abstract:
--------------------------
SB80DX D-TTL is available when equipped to the D1 series, D100, DH2 and
D70 so that should not be a problem.

by Nikon Technical Support
---------------------------

full text
===========================
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:09:04 +0000 (GMT) <23:09:04 CST>
From: Nikon Technical Support <nikon-ikdeng@custhelp.com>
To: r90628116@ntu.edu.tw
Subject: The flash mode of sb80dx can use on D70
Headers: Show All Headers
Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 21 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To update this question by e-mail, please reply to this message. Because your reply will be processed automatically, you MUST enter your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of this message will be discarded.
<===> Please enter your reply below this line <===>

<===> Please enter your reply above this line <===>

To update your question from our support site, click here.

Subject
The flash mode of sb80dx can use on D70

Discussion Thread
Response (Lena Lindstrom) 02/02/2004 03:09 PM
SB80DX D-TTL is available when equipped to the D1 series, D100, DH2 and
D70 so that should not be a problem.
Auto-response 02/02/2004 10:17 AM
Your Question has not been submitted yet!
We searched our database and found the following articles that may help answer your question. Please click on the links to review (the article will open in a new window). If you still need to submit a question click the "Finish Submitting Question" button at the bottom of the screen.

No matches were found.

Customer (AHOCK LO) 02/02/2004 10:17 AM
Dear sir,
I would like to know the flash mode of SB80DX available when equiped to a D70. Is D-TTL available?

Thanks!!

Best Regards,
Ahock Lo

Question Reference No040202-000357
Product: Digital SLR
Sub-product: D100
Category: Compatibility
Contact Information: r90628116@ntu.edu.tw
Date Created: 02/02/2004 10:17 AM
Last Updated: 02/02/2004 03:09 PM
Computer OS:
Nikon Software:
Telephone Number:

Computer Info

Thanks for using Nikon products. Nikon UK Technical Support

Regards
Lena Lindstrom

Nikon UK Customer Support
==================================================
Nikon UK Customer Support retains personal data you supply relating to your enquiry for quality control & training purposes. This data may be used by Nikon UK Ltd in the interests of training & improving the quality of services we offer and will not be disclosed to any third parties.
This e-mail and any files attached are intended for the sole use of the addressee and where possible has been scanned for known viruses.

vchong Basic MemberMon 02-Feb-04 05:24 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-50DX"
In response to Reply # 5

Victoria, CA

>SB80DX D-TTL is available when equipped to the D1 series,
>D100, DH2 and D70 so that should not be a problem.

Thanks for taking the time to email then, Ahock! Much appreciated.

Their answer still doesn't settle the matter for me though, because the answer seems to be something along the lines of "since A, B, and C supports feature X, then so must D". There's a bit of logic in that, but its also potentially misguided because eventually support for a feature will dropped... the question is merely when.

I guess we'll know for certain when we see a PDF of the user's manual or perhaps an updated speedlight compatibility chart from Nikon.

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

Websquad Basic MemberMon 02-Feb-04 06:52 PM
#7. "RE: SB-50DX"
In response to Reply # 6

I think what I'm getting out of this discussion, and some more reading of what's been released by Nikon thus far, is that the TTL system for flash is significantly upgraded on the D70, thus making the 50DX and 80DX not compatable.

With regard to the SC-17, I assumed that since Nikon dropped this from their current line and replaced it with the SC-28, that the rational was new capability with newer flashes. Am I reading correctly that some of you on this thread do not think that is the case?

Bartman01 Registered since 02nd Feb 2004Tue 03-Feb-04 02:02 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SB-50DX"
In response to Reply # 5

Houston, US

>Dear all,
> I have check this with the Nikon official, below is their
>answer to my question.
>
>abstract:
>--------------------------
>SB80DX D-TTL is available when equipped to the D1 series,
>D100, DH2 and
>D70 so that should not be a problem.
>
>by Nikon Technical Support
>---------------------------

I asked US Nikon support the same question and they state unequivically that the D70 will not have D-TTL support. The older D-TTL flashes will not have TTL functionality with the D70.

vchong Basic MemberTue 03-Feb-04 08:06 AM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SB-50DX"
In response to Reply # 8

Victoria, CA

What a bloody mess!

Anybody want to buy a mint condition SB-80DX? Urgh!

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

rgestes Registered since 04th Apr 2003Tue 10-Feb-04 05:47 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SB-50DX"
In response to Reply # 0

Elverson, US

according to the manual available for download, the sb-50dx IS compatible with the d70...but you must use it on manual setting, no TTL.

that's my dilemma...do i buy the kit with the DX lens, or do i buy just the body and a new flash?

ryan
---
still waiting for that once-in-a-lifetime shot..

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 10-Feb-04 09:06 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: SB-50DX"
In response to Reply # 10

Salt Lake City, US

By that measure, almost any flash is "compatible". The SB-50DX would be usable in manual mode only since it has no built-in flash controlled auto mode. You'd be in a better situation with the D70 owning an older unit like the SB-22 that has a built-in auto capability.

As to buying the body and flash vs. body and lens, I'd want to see lens reviews and of course you'd have to factor in how much you need a flash.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218721 Previous topic | Next topic