Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218671
View in linear mode

Subject: "have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, japan!" Previous topic | Next topic
din20 Registered since 01st Feb 2004Sun 01-Feb-04 12:41 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, japan!"

kiyose cit, japan, JP

hello everyone im din and im glad to join this group..i have a chance to hold the D70 at nikon showroom in shinjuku japan (this is the only place that they have a demo in japan at this time) at first when i saw the D70 at the adds that they are developing a new digital camera and saw the picture i was not impress about its looks. then i went to nikon showroom accidentally and saw this new D70 on the place that people can look and try it(its just a demo but they are no yet saling this stuff until march 19 at the price of 150,000 yen for a body only) so i try when i pic it up it fit like a glove to may hands and the controls are easy to understand for me and it is true that it is fast. shutter time lag is fast how fast... like d100 shutter they say that the D70 shutter is a new can of shutter so that they cannot compare the two. For short it is a very great camera guys you will be impress when you saw it even the people at nikon are impress when they first saw it they say that the feature are better that the D100 but d100 is a better grade... for me i cant decide which one to buy the value one or the Pro one maybe for a guy like me just dont have a lot of money may be buy the value one but im concern about the durablity about the camera. maybe ill wait until it will sale and see for comment about it. thats all guy and girls thank for reading if u have any Question about the camera that i can answer im glad to help.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja
ravenf5
01st Feb 2004
din20
01st Feb 2004
tflub
01st Feb 2004
din20
01st Feb 2004
ironhayden08
02nd Feb 2004
din20
03rd Feb 2004
jrp Administrator
01st Feb 2004
gewe21
03rd Feb 2004
JScottR
03rd Feb 2004
rayonline
04th Feb 2004
rayonline
04th Feb 2004
rayonline
04th Feb 2004
Rally
04th Feb 2004
din20
04th Feb 2004
SNAG
05th Feb 2004
rayonline
05th Feb 2004
din20
10th Feb 2004

ravenf5 Registered since 21st Jan 2004Sun 01-Feb-04 01:10 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 0

Lindsay, CA

Hey Din
I found your comments very interesting. How do you think it would work for photojournalism?
Welcome to the site, by the way.
Mary

raven

din20 Registered since 01st Feb 2004Sun 01-Feb-04 01:44 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 1

kiyose cit, japan, JP

hello mary

For me im shotting picture about concert, party, people picture u can say photojournalism picture that are publish at our local magazine. For me it will work for photojournalism becouse of its fast respond fastest than my F80 ( i love my F80 guys just compared) Like D100 that has Fast respond for now im still using F80 but i think i will
be using digital (D70) in the near future becouse of film cost to keep more money but film quality is still i love..

www.din-eugenio.tk

tflub Registered since 22nd Feb 2002Sun 01-Feb-04 06:17 PM
257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 3

US

How sturdy did the body feel? I know that it is all plastic, but I am expecting it to feel more sturdy and less cheap than the Digital Rebel.

Flub

Please vivit my photo-centric blog: www.shutterblogger.blogspot.com

din20 Registered since 01st Feb 2004Sun 01-Feb-04 10:33 PM
#5. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 4

kiyose cit, japan, JP

hello flub!

nice question, it is very sturdy thats one of the points of D70 it look like a Pro for me like D100. ("It is more sturdier that Canon Rebel!!thats one thing for sure!!) you'll never think that its made of cheap plastic. about price with its counter part canon Rebel here in japan its thesame..

www.din-eugenio.tk

ironhayden08 Basic MemberMon 02-Feb-04 06:28 AM
447 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 5

Green Bay, US

Is there any way of using a vertical grip with it? Or any ports like the bottom of the d100??

Jon Hayden
Green Bay, Wis.
Home of the 12 time NFL Champions
http://www.jonhayden.com

din20 Registered since 01st Feb 2004Tue 03-Feb-04 04:06 AM
#7. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 6

kiyose cit, japan, JP

hello Jon!

there is no vertical grip Nikon say becouse D70 is a lower grade than D100 we wish it have...

www.din-eugenio.tk

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 01-Feb-04 01:19 PM
34636 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Nothing like a personal account of a good impression.
Thanks for sharing.
Wish we were there.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

gewe21 Basic MemberTue 03-Feb-04 03:11 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 2

Milwaukee, US

to tflub:
Can't help myself not to respond to D70 vs. Canon Rebel built question. One thing that is very apparent is that D70 lens mount is metal, while on the 300D (Rebel) is plastic. I can't believe I'm paying $1000 for a camera with a plastic lens mount. If you have some lenses and would like to interchange them quite often, D70 should have the edge.

George Oei
Madison, WI
"Dude, you're getting a Nikkor !!!"

JScottR Registered since 03rd Feb 2004Tue 03-Feb-04 07:31 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 0

Unionville, US

Hi din. Were you at Yodabashi Camera ? Scott.

Scott

rayonline Registered since 22nd Jul 2003Wed 04-Feb-04 04:52 AM
1220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 9

NZ

is that 150,000Y with the lense or without. this is considerably more than $1600USD. May get the thing imported into NZL before I head to Japan.

rayonline Registered since 22nd Jul 2003Wed 04-Feb-04 04:55 AM
1220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 10

NZ

$1600NZL I meant, aka $1000 NZL.

rayonline Registered since 22nd Jul 2003Wed 04-Feb-04 04:57 AM
#12. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 10

NZ

I meant $1600nzl aka $1000 usd

Rally Registered since 31st Jan 2004Wed 04-Feb-04 09:20 AM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 12

Auckland, NZ

Hi Raymond,

The original post said.

"(its just a demo but they are no yet saling this stuff until march 19 at the price of 150,000 yen for a body only)"

NZL do you mean New Zealand Dollars? If so then NZ$1,600 is not bad I have been given an estimate at a camera shop of NZ$2,500 - NZ$2,999 for the kit ( body + lens ) when it becomes available ( march maybe ) which seems overly high considering the US$1,299 announced price.

Cheers
Peter

din20 Registered since 01st Feb 2004Wed 04-Feb-04 01:56 PM
#14. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 12

kiyose cit, japan, JP

hello ray and scott

First Mr. Ray here in japan the price of a Nikon D70 is 150,000 yen body only but there are discount store like Mr. scott telling Yodobashi camera ( its like B&H in U.S.A)there is more cheaper 119,000 yen body only and Mr.George thank for tell that is canon rebel have a plastic lens mount i think that is very improtant about this two counter part!!! one point for nikon!!

www.din-eugenio.tk

SNAG Basic MemberThu 05-Feb-04 01:51 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 14

SG

Just another user review from a Nikonian in Singapore..
Taken from http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=60739&page=2&pp=20

"I had a hands on preview of the D70 recently, it is of an IP (initial production) model built with a near finalized firmware.

Here's a very brief run through (please forgive my lack of time to prepare a properly written article) ...

Body
The body feels very much like the D100 with the exception that it now sports a much deeper (*positively more comfortable) handgrip and a much smoother "curve-line" in its design. The inter-joining sections of the body are now better lined/buffed, perhaps due to improved machining precision over these years. The body is made out of the same polycarbonate material used for the D100 though it is noticeably thicker; this is used in place of the D100’s aluminum structure. The lack of a vertical grip isn’t much of a concern for me since I feel the overall improvement in ergonomics more than made up for the absence of this optional feature. Overall a nice and sturdy body to begin with, no complains here.

Button Layout
There are also some significant changes in the D70’s button layout. In short, it is generally more intuitive to use with easy to access buttons to facilitate change of ISO, firing mode, file quality, etc in a fly. The mode dial is now a little more recessed, thanks to the absence of the circular ring switch below it. On a side note, I find the dial tighter and less prone to accidental changes too. On the whole, a clean and straightforward design.

However, there is something that might be of a little inconvenience to some shooters. The absence of an AF-S/AF-C drive selector on the body that to my dismay, has to be set in the CSM. This is something that is IMO quite a disappointment though I won’t exactly call it a show stopper.

Speed and responsiveness
Speed and responsiveness of this camera is of traditional Nikon style, in short, it is fast and responsive. With literally no startup time, the D70 is ready any moment you need it. It possesses the same CAM900 AF system like the D100, and in that, I find not much difference between both cams in this area. Shutter lag is noticeably faster IMO but it is nothing to write home about, the same goes to mirror blackout too. Interestingly, the AF-illuminator is now slightly smaller and much more refine cosmetically. It should perform as well as the D100 under low-light conditions.

Flash system
The built-in flash in now electronically controlled as compared to the mechanical clip system employed in the D100. This is understandable since the D70 is built with different scene types in mind, the camera will now “pop-up” the flash when it is selected. However, do take note that the internal flash is “crippled” at 1/60 x-sync but it goes right up to 1/500 when external speed-lights like the SB-600 or SB-800 are in use. The internal flash is also armed with the added capability to fire off as a remote commander for the new Creative Lighting System (CLS), great and nifty feature I must say!

Update: I just got word that the internal flash can be set at 1/500 x-sync under the D70's CSM. The IP unit I used during the review has this feature in the firmware disabled (or screwed up).

I didn’t get the time to test out flash exposure properly but will do so when I have the time in my next preview sitting.

Dynamic Buffering System
Now, the one thing that really amazed me is the D70’s superb buffering system, this is one thing that sets the D70 apart from the other offerings in its class (or something even higher). Basically saying, you are in for unlimited continuous shots at 3fps if you own a reasonably fast card. The card I used during the preview was a Hagiwara Z type (supposingly the fastest Hagiwara CF to date) but from what I know, it is no where near the speed of a Sandisk Ultra II used in the Nikon’s lab test or a Lexar 40x WA. I tested all three LARGE JPEG compression modes, as in JPG L Basic, L Normal and L Fine, shots taken with a setting of ISO200, 1/500 f/2.8. The camera is able to fire off continuously like there is no tomorrow for shots after shots without any noticeable slowdown in framerate. The write speed is simply amazing! Yup, it ain’t a typo error on the 144-shots part. Kudos to Nikon for planting yet another cornerstone innovation in Digital SLR photography!

LCD, Viewfinder and others
The 230k pixel LCD that is coupled with the D70 is amongst the best I had ever used to date. Yes, it is noticably better in term of clarity and sharpness even when compared to the Nikon's professional D1 series and the EOS 1D/1Ds and though it is smaller in size when compared to the D2H’s 2.5” LCD, the resolution it offers is truly excellent! While I can’t say it is 100% accurate when it comes to color accuracy, it does offer a good representation of the actual image.

It is interesting to note that the D70 sports a visibly smaller viewfinder eye point, this may prove to be of a little concern to those who are using high-degree eyewear but generally, it is as clear and easy to use as the D100’s viewfinder. I find no show stopping difference in its ability to convey what the photographer needs to see. No big changes or letdown here either.

I cannot seem to find the Hi-1 and Hi-2 (ISO 3200 and 6400) boost settings in the CSM, as report by Dpreview and a few other sites. The camera comes with an USB 1.1 port, not a USB 2.0 one, I think Dpreview got it wrong here.

The camera is armed with an infrared receiver where an added accessory (ML-3 I think) will be used for remote trigger. From what I understand, models like the F65, etc were using this as a de-facto remote trigger. What’s best? It is quite inexpensive at <S$20 a piece.

Conclusion
Some claimed that the EOS 300D revolutionized the budget DSLR market but in the case of the D70, I feel that Nikon succeeded in bridging the big gap between the budget and semi-pro DSLRs. Make no mistake about it, it is easily the first camera to offer both performance with no significant crippling features and a budget price tag in a single complete package.

According to official sources, it should be officially announced/launched locally sometime before March and will be available in quantity shortly after (somewhere in early to mid-march).

This is without a doubt a great time for budget conscious photographers! Welcome to the Nikon system!"

rayonline Registered since 22nd Jul 2003Thu 05-Feb-04 06:05 PM
#16. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 15

NZ

If its 150,000Y its about $2250nz abouts
$1000USD = $1650-1700nz. i could import the thing before i head to JP... custom 12.5% and freight cannot be that much more..

din20 Registered since 01st Feb 2004Tue 10-Feb-04 10:17 PM
#17. "RE: have a chance to hold the D70 at Nikon Shinjuku, ja"
In response to Reply # 16

kiyose cit, japan, JP

hello PMA 2004 is almost near and you can almost hold the new D70 for test u will injoy the feel and speed of this new nikon DSLR ....injoy

NOTE: try this with AF-S 70-200mm 2.8G VR ED Lens u will injoy it...

www.din-eugenio.tk

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218671 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.