Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218296
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon strikes back" Previous topic | Next topic
karlmarx Basic MemberTue 17-Feb-04 05:08 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon strikes back"

Montreal, CA

Hi all,

Just had the chance of trying out the D70 couples of minutes ago. Conclusion: This will be my first digital camera.

I was long waiting for an affordable Nikon body to use my lenses on. I was then afraid they would come out with something like the Digital Rebel from Kwanon. Sorry nikon for having lost my faith. The feel of the D70 is surprisingly solid, the size interestingly small for a traveler like me, and yes the camera produces great shot, even at iso 1600, the noise is still remarkably controlled.

I tested it with nikkor 85mm f1.8.

I couldn't be more pleased.

Simon

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon strikes back
kc80s
17th Feb 2004
karlmarx
17th Feb 2004
kc80s
18th Feb 2004
ThirtyFourOFive
18th Feb 2004
ThirtyFourOFive
17th Feb 2004
ballroom_boy
18th Feb 2004
precidian
19th Feb 2004
Flachlaender
19th Feb 2004

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Tue 17-Feb-04 06:36 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon strikes back"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Where did you try it out?

Any idea of availability?

karlmarx Basic MemberTue 17-Feb-04 07:57 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon strikes back"
In response to Reply # 1

Montreal, CA

Working in a camera store can be a boring job, it is certainly low-paying, but you get to try new cameras first. Our nikon rep brought his camera today and we had a chance to play with it. He says we should get cameras for sale at the beginning of march. By the way i'm in canada so I don't know for the states.

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Wed 18-Feb-04 03:34 AM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon strikes back"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

Hey, I am in Toronto! I can't wait.

ThirtyFourOFive Registered since 04th Feb 2004Wed 18-Feb-04 06:03 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon strikes back"
In response to Reply # 4

Calgary, CA

I'm in Calgary and I can't wait. Sounds like the US price is better of course. Will have to figure that out when the time comes.

ThirtyFourOFive Registered since 04th Feb 2004Tue 17-Feb-04 07:45 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon strikes back"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

Sounds encouraging. The specs look great, and I was hoping build quality and feel would not disappoint.

ballroom_boy Registered since 05th Sep 2002Wed 18-Feb-04 04:51 AM
1341 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon strikes back"
In response to Reply # 2

Stratford, CA

What are the out of camera JPEG's like?

There are times where I want to do minimal post processing, hence why my first DSLR was a Fuji S2. I am looking for a second body and the D70 seems to fit the bill nicely (price and feature wise). Are the out of camera images better than the D100?

Roël
http://roelphoto.com

precidian Registered since 08th Nov 2003Thu 19-Feb-04 04:46 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon strikes back"
In response to Reply # 5

London, CA

our Nikon rep dropped by yesterday with a couple of new cameras including the D70. I couldn't wait to have the D70 in my hands. My main concern about the camera is that it would feel cheap like the Digital Rebel. After picking it up it felt just a bit lighter than the D100 but it did feel solid. The controls and menus are quite easy to navigate. I took a look into the battery compartment to see if there would be an option for a grip and there were no noticeable electrical contacts except for power. I would have liked to have the option of adding a grip. For me I think the new features and options available outweigh the lack of a grip.

Also with the camera the rep had the new 18-70 DX lens. It is quite sharp and a nice addition to the DX lens line-up. I think I will be selling my 18-35 lens as soon as I get the camera kit.

We also had a chance to see sample prints of the camera shot at 1000iso with the 18-70 DX lens. There was virtually very little to no noise visible in the prints. Even the shadows were nice and clean.

From my understanding Nikon will be shipping the D70 and 18-70mm DX lens kit sometime in March and will probably be available for around $1899. The body only option will be available sometime during the summer.

I can't wait till my order comes in..........

Cheers

Flachlaender Registered since 07th Feb 2004Thu 19-Feb-04 05:00 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon strikes back"
In response to Reply # 7

NL

I wouldn't mind if it was just a grip/batterypack without the vertical shutter-release as is the MB-16. Just the extra height of the camera with it would suffice.

Sijtze.

"May the winds be in your back and the sun in your face."

"Who would not admire and love the Alps, visit them with pleasure, hike and climb them? I cannot express the longing and love I feel for the mountains and there is no place where I would rather be."

Benedikt 'Aretius' Marti (1522-1574). Swiss professor in Greek and Hebrew. Botanist and mountaineer.

Landscapes and more at my Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218296 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.