Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218272
View in linear mode

Subject: "Compact Flash card" Previous topic | Next topic
nulldev Registered since 13th Apr 2003Thu 19-Feb-04 04:40 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Compact Flash card"

Grand Rapids, US

I'm planning on get a D70 this fall. I was wondering what brand of Compact Flash are recommended. I've been looking at Lexar Media 40x but didn't know if it's the best one to get or not.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Compact Flash card
Rally
20th Feb 2004
N80 Aircraftnut Silver Member
20th Feb 2004
Rally
20th Feb 2004
Reply message A must read on CF card speed!
recalcitrantron
20th Feb 2004
Reply message RE: A must read on CF card speed!
N80 Aircraftnut Silver Member
20th Feb 2004

Rally Registered since 31st Jan 2004Fri 20-Feb-04 01:20 AM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Compact Flash card"
In response to Reply # 0

Auckland, NZ

Hi,

Here is an excerpt from a pdf about the D70 I have seen. Not sure how up to date this information is.

Approved Memory Cards
The following cards have been tested and approved for use in the D70:

SanDisk
SDCFB 16 MB, 48 MB, 80 MB, 96 MB, 128 MB, 160 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB
SDCFB (Type II) 192 MB, 300 MB
SDCF2B (Type II) 256 MB
SDCFH 128 MB, 192 MB, 256 MB, 384 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB
SDCFX 512 MB, 1 GB

Lexar Media
4× USB 16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB
8× USB 16 MB, 32 MB, 48 MB, 64 MB, 80 MB
10× USB 160 MB
12× USB 64 MB, 128 MB, 192 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB 16× USB 192 MB, 256 MB, 320 MB, 512 MB, 640 MB, 1 GB
24× USB 256 MB, 512 MB
24× WA USB 256 MB, 512 MB
32× WA USB 1 GB
40× WA USB 256 MB, 512 MB, 2 GB, 4 GB

Renesas Technology (Hitachi)
Compact FLASH HB28 C8× 16 MB, 32 MB

Microdrive
DSCM 512 MB, 1 GB
3K4 2 GB, 4 GB

Operation is not guaranteed with other makes of card. For more details on the above cards, please contact the manufacturer.

N80 Aircraftnut Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2003Fri 20-Feb-04 01:42 AM
423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Compact Flash card"
In response to Reply # 1

East Lansing, US

As apparently everyone else I am thinking about dropping the money for a D70. My question is this: Are the 'high-speed' CF cards, like the Lexar 40x 512MB or 1GB really faster than other 'non-pro' (and cheaper) cards? Is it worth spending the extra money to get a fast card like the advertisment says? Thanks for your answers in advance.

Markus

A German/American Nikonian living in Little Rhody

Markus

A German/American Nikonian living in the Mitten State.

… for landscape photography the
aphorism should be expanded:"f8 and
be there in good light." -John Shaw

Rally Registered since 31st Jan 2004Fri 20-Feb-04 02:11 AM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Compact Flash card"
In response to Reply # 2

Auckland, NZ

Hi,

Check out the following information at dpreview

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

recalcitrantron Registered since 26th Dec 2003Fri 20-Feb-04 05:14 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "A must read on CF card speed!"
In response to Reply # 0

Roseville, US

Galbraith tests a large variety of cards in the leading cameras. The results, not all CF cards are created equal in terms of speed.

<www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007>

"There's no dumb ass vaccine" so just roll
with it!

Ron

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

N80 Aircraftnut Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2003Fri 20-Feb-04 01:16 PM
423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A must read on CF card speed!"
In response to Reply # 4

East Lansing, US

Thanks for the responces and links. The information is really invaluble. It is really true that not all CF cards are created equal. But I thought it was really interesting to see that the speed is very dependent on the camera used. Not something I would have thought of as a film shooter.

Markus

A German/American Nikonian living in Little Rhody

Markus

A German/American Nikonian living in the Mitten State.

… for landscape photography the
aphorism should be expanded:"f8 and
be there in good light." -John Shaw

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218272 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.