Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218196
View in linear mode

Subject: "D70 or a 10x zoom compact" Previous topic | Next topic
kasaert Registered since 30th Jan 2004Mon 16-Feb-04 08:04 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D70 or a 10x zoom compact"

Bredene, BE

Hello Nikonians,

I'm not sure if I should buy a D70 or a 10x zoom camera.....
The reason why I'm not sure what to buy is because if I want a 10x zoom with my D70 I'll need several lenses that will not be cheap I think....

Also when I'm snowboarding I can't take all my lenses with me because when I fall I don't want any damage... I know there are compact cases that are strong enough but in that you can only take one lense.....
Is there someone that does the same as me???? I mean also snowboard and take pictures?

Is there somebody out there that can give me tips on which lenses I should buy that are still reasonable of price????
How much money will I need if I want a 10x zoom with my D70????

The things I want to take pictures of is when I'm snowboarding, surfing, motorraces, holidaypictures, airshows.....

Hopefully I'll know what to do after some answers of you

Face your fears, live your dreams

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D70 or a 10x zoom compact
DennisMe
16th Feb 2004
kasaert
16th Feb 2004
PRW Silver Member
16th Feb 2004
Covey22 Moderator
20th Feb 2004
DennisMe
17th Feb 2004
RoyWoo
17th Feb 2004
F80
17th Feb 2004
kasaert
20th Feb 2004
hogan99
21st Feb 2004
kasaert
21st Feb 2004

DennisMe Registered since 12th Nov 2003Mon 16-Feb-04 08:23 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D70 or a 10x zoom compact"
In response to Reply # 0

Roosendaal, NL

The D70 would give you much better image quality, but you may also be satisfied with the quality of a compact as it is. I have no idea which would hold up to crashes more. The (noise) difference becomes more apparent if there is less light, which may not (normally) be the case while snowboarding!
If you intend to take many low light pictures and blow them up regularly to 20 x 30 cm (+/- 8x10") or above, you may appreciate the quality difference.
Then there's handling. A DSLR will blow any compact out of the water in this aspect. If you need to whip out the camera (don't say you had it in your backpack!) and take (multiple) instant shots as the action unfolds, you will absolutely love the responsiveness of a DSLR! This alone is the reason I won't touch another compact in my life if I can help it. If you want lots of zoom, you may need two zooms, but you may not need the heavy zooms with a large max aperture (2.8 ED etc) if you have ample light available for most of the time. Zooms aren't all that heavy these days. What do you do with your compact now? Zoom in max all the time? Do you ever need the wide angle end? If not, you may just get away with one zoom and perhaps a teleconverter...

There it is, that's all I can tell you. Maybe a real pro can help you some more...

Dennis.

PS: I don't shoot snowboarding, but I do shoot hang gliding.

kasaert Registered since 30th Jan 2004Mon 16-Feb-04 09:07 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D70 or a 10x zoom compact"
In response to Reply # 1

Bredene, BE

Thx Dennis for your answer.....

First of all I had a Minolta Dimage S304 but that one got stolen. It had a 4x zoom and sometimes the zoom wasn't big enough. I don't zoom in all the time but sometimes if you want to take pictures of surfers that are far away in the water my 4x zoom wasn't powerfull enough...
Even for airshows my plains were a little bit to small....

Have to say that I'm a beginner....
So if you start about teleconverters.....
Are there disadvantages about teleconverters?????

PRW Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Apr 2002Mon 16-Feb-04 08:04 PM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D70 or a 10x zoom compact"
In response to Reply # 2

Plymouth, GB

Just a thought, but how do you prevent camera shake using a 10X zoom on a compact?

Kind regards,
Paul

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.paulwheelerphotography.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/paul_wheeler/

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 20-Feb-04 05:48 PM
10769 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D70 or a 10x zoom compact"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Minolta has implemented Anti-shake capability on a 7x zoom EVF compact(28-200) in the A1. So it's not too far in potential capability to extend that to a 10x...

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

DennisMe Registered since 12th Nov 2003Tue 17-Feb-04 07:44 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D70 or a 10x zoom compact"
In response to Reply # 2

Roosendaal, NL

Well, the chances of a D70 getting stolen are even worse probably...
A teleconverter will lengthen your tele lens and give you more zoom at the expense of one f-stop of light. With a 1.4x TC a 200mm F4 lense becomes a 280 F5.6). You should really only use them on a lense that has a reasonable maximum aperture, because the viewfinder will darken if your lense doesn't let enough light through. If you have the money, you could get a VR lense, which will enable you to get great handheld shots at longer exposure times which you may have to use if the light is bad, or if you want to maximize depth of field...
With a compact, like the minolta A-whatsit, you get vibration reduction in the package. Which is great if the camera doesn't drive you nuts first like it does with me. OTOH VR gives you so much, the higher usable ISO ratings on the D70 will give you the same three stops advantage! Of course, if you combine both (VR and a DSLR), you can't lose... except maybe some cash.

Dennis.

RoyWoo Registered since 14th Feb 2002Tue 17-Feb-04 10:24 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D70 or a 10x zoom compact"
In response to Reply # 0

Hongkong, CN

Hi,

I don't snowboard, but I am curious. If you want a single 10x zoom on the D70, you can get the Nikkor 28-200G, or the Tamron XRs. Either way, they promise reasonable quality, light weight and aren't expensive.

But then again, I was wondering why you'd need a 10x zoom. Most 10x zoom's lens will extend a long way out of the barrel, likely making them easier to break. If I was in your situation, I would go for a strongly built compact, with perhaps a 4x zoom and excellent battery performance, on snowboarding trips. They are easier to protect and be kept warm, and also cheaper to replace.

As for your motor racing and airshow needs, the D70 with the Nikkor 70-200 VR x 1.4 would offer superior image quality and responsiveness over 10x zooms, but both should work alright. My gut feeling is that its unlikely that one camera would fit all your diverse needs (portability vs reach). Having two cameras might be a more viable solution.

Roy

F80 Basic MemberTue 17-Feb-04 11:02 AM
7082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D70 or a 10x zoom compact"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I'd consider an 8MP P&S like this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021219konicaminoltadimagea2.asp

Nikon 8700, Minolta A2, Canon Powershot Pro1 or Sony 828. No changign lenses, no CCD cleaning. The Minolta has anti-vibration technology built into the body. They all have smaller sensors than the D70 but for moderate sized prints and most occasions I don't think you'd be disappointed. I'm considering one of these when I have some cash while I wait and save for a D2X.

F80

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kasaert Registered since 30th Jan 2004Fri 20-Feb-04 09:47 AM
#7. "RE: D70 or a 10x zoom compact"
In response to Reply # 6

Bredene, BE

Hello everybody....

thx for all your help.... but I still don't know what to do

The thought of 2 cameras is a little expensive.... maybe I'll start with a compact to improve my photographic skills and when I'm beter I can invest in an DSLR...

Just want to say that this is a great forum where there are a lot of people always ready to help you.....

Thx a lot and untill my next post....

hogan99 Registered since 21st Feb 2004Sat 21-Feb-04 05:11 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D70 or a 10x zoom compact"
In response to Reply # 7

I am using the Olympus C-750 4MP 10x optical compact while I wait for the Nikon D70. I was fully expecting to sell the c-750 when I got the D70, but am so pleased with it that I might have to keep both.

Olympus also announced the C-770 Movie, which is still a 10x optical - a little smaller and has a Mpeg4 640x480 movie feature.

I am sure that a movie feature is secondary to the folks here on this board, but for a nice compact with a >300mm equlivilant zoom this is a great little guy to take skiing (it has pretty good manual controls)

kasaert Registered since 30th Jan 2004Sat 21-Feb-04 02:31 PM
#10. "RE: D70 or a 10x zoom compact"
In response to Reply # 9

Bredene, BE

Well to be honoust the compact I meant was the Olympus C-750. But I didn't want to mention it on this forum

Thx Hogan for the help....

I can wait then until the price has dropped a little bit to buy my D70

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218196 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.