Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218160
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lens recommendations please" Previous topic | Next topic
DangerousDriver Registered since 22nd Feb 2004Sun 22-Feb-04 10:02 AM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lens recommendations please"

GB

Hi all

I'm about to purchase a D70 (as soon as it's available in the UK) with the kit-supplied lens.

I would also like a lens (or possible lens + teleconvertor?) which gives the equivalent of x10 magnification (approx) without breaking the bank.

Any suggestions?

This will only be my second digital camera purchase (other was Fuji MX-2900) and hopefully will give me the features to allow me to learn something about photography.

Couple of other questions:

1. Am I limited to only Nikon lenses without sacrificing important features?

2. Any recommendations on CompactFlash cards (capacity, speed, reliability) or microdrives?

Thanks

John

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lens recommendations please
spamtastic
22nd Feb 2004
DangerousDriver
22nd Feb 2004
Poynder Silver Member
22nd Feb 2004
DangerousDriver
22nd Feb 2004
BUSHWACKER
22nd Feb 2004

spamtastic Basic MemberSun 22-Feb-04 12:56 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lens recommendations please"
In response to Reply # 0

Sheffield, GB

The AF 70-300mm G lens can be had for about £99 in the uk.

Lee

DangerousDriver Registered since 22nd Feb 2004Sun 22-Feb-04 03:32 PM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lens recommendations please"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks

I'm thinking along the lines of one of these:

Sigma 70-300mm f4/5.6 DL MACRO SUPER 2 (NIKON AF)
Sigma 70-300mm f4/5.6 ASPHERICAL MACRO SUPER 2 (NIKON AF)
Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 HYPERZOOM ASPHERICAL MACRO (NIKON AF) (possibly not this one)
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G
Nikon 70-300mm f4/5.6 AF

They're all within budget.

Apart from price what's the difference between the G and the AF (and the "D ED" which is on the Nikon site)?

Sigma's seem to get a bit of a pasting in some reviews, is there any real merit to this?

And A Lexor 40x 512 MB CompactFlash

On the rough magnification thing, (as a bit of a novice), I would have thought that all these lenses provide the same level of zoom. However, Nikon quote "Powerful 4.3x telephoto zoom lens" for the AF 70-300 f/4-5.6 while Sigma say "a zoom ratio of 10.7:1" for their 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3.

Am I missing something?

(And the 1.6 digital factor will increase these?)

Cheers

John

(ps Thanks bushwhacker too)

Poynder Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2004Sun 22-Feb-04 07:00 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lens recommendations please"
In response to Reply # 2

Corsham, GB

You said...

"" On the rough magnification thing, (as a bit of a novice), I would have thought that all these lenses provide the same level of zoom. However, Nikon quote "Powerful 4.3x telephoto zoom lens" for the AF 70-300 f/4-5.6 while Sigma say "a zoom ratio of 10.7:1" for their 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3.

Am I missing something?
""

I am not sure what you mean by the same level of zoom, at their full telephoto end they will give the same sort of "maginification" but what Nikon and Sigma are quoteing are the zoom ratios.

If you divide 300 by 70 you will end up with a figure as near 4.3 and divide 300 by 28 and you get your 10.7.

Hope this helps.

Regards... Colin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DangerousDriver Registered since 22nd Feb 2004Sun 22-Feb-04 07:01 PM
#4. "RE: Lens recommendations please"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Does help, Thanks.

BUSHWACKER Registered since 22nd Feb 2004Sun 22-Feb-04 08:14 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lens recommendations please"
In response to Reply # 2

WHITBY, CA

BUSHWACKER

The Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G Lens has no aperture ring.

The Nikon 70-300 F4-5.6D ED lens has ED lens elements (Extra Low Dispersion), and it has a rotating zoom ring for precise zoom operation.

Both lens D-type & G-type relay subject-to-camera distance information
to AF Nikon camera bodies.

Bushwacker

BUSHWACKER

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218160 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.