Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218072
View in linear mode

Subject: "300D / Digital Rebel experience" Previous topic | Next topic
anitasm Awarded for his published articles in the Resources Registered since 20th Aug 2002Sun 22-Feb-04 08:07 PM
2325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"300D / Digital Rebel experience"

Melbourne, AU

Slightly off topic here, but just though I share an experience over the weekend. I spent most of the weekend using a friends Digital Rebel (the downunder equivalent of a 300D if I'm not mistaken).

It was the first DSLR I had used, and boy it feels plasticky. It really is about the lowest grade SLR (film or digital) in terms of the feel of the build that you could imagine. My N70 feels rugged in comparison. The controls are vague or stiff but never seemed right. The 'flop/flop' of the shutter was a bit of a let down after the F100 - not a fair comment but just an observation! The response of the trigger was OK (one of the big shortcomings of most non-SLR digitals IMO). I managed to overcome the image buffer pretty easily, and that was just photographing kids on bikes.

This one had the 'kit lense' - an 18-55 f4-5.6 (or something similar). It was pretty weird using such a slow lense, and I ended up turning up the ISO when I could have used 100 on a faster lense with no problem. But it was a nice being able to change the ISO (my first experience with a DSLR as you can probably tell). You sort of wonder how limiting such a slow lense might be taking portraits etc (can't really get a shallow DOF).

At 800 ISO there was obvious noise in shadows (could even see it on the camera LCD). Regarding the LCD, it was easily read in bright sunlight. The menus were easy to navigate and seemed logical. Reviewing and editing images in camera was a breeze.

I think that based on what I know about Nikon bodies and what I would expect of D70 build, the D70 should easily win the 300D / D70 countertop fiddle test that will occur at thousands of camera shops around the world. Hopefully people can see past the extra $$ and we will surely have a winner.

My problem is that I just need to decide if 4 MP is enough - the D2H is looking mighty attractive now that I've had a little intro to the DSLR world Or maybe a good deal on a D1X when the D2X arrives?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob Cruse
A Melbourne Nikonian

www.pbase.com/anitasm

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 25-Feb-04 04:25 PM
10578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 300D / Digital Rebel experience"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks for the comments. It's always nice to get a perspective on the D70's intended competitor.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #218072 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.