Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217972
View in linear mode

Subject: "Noob D70 user, Advice needed." Previous topic | Next topic
racer008 Registered since 25th Feb 2004Wed 25-Feb-04 02:27 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Noob D70 user, Advice needed."

Scranton, US

First let me start off by saying this is my first camera. I used SLRs growing up. Cannon, Nikon, Pentax, and many others including medium format cameras, a stereo camera, and multiple TLRs. My stepfather was very big into photography. He passed away around a year ago and I realized how much photography he had done in his 20s through his 40s, while I was cleaning out some old boxes. My brother and sister are into photography, and have been for years. I recently took interest partially because of the options becoming available with digital cameras and the cost/ease of sharing them in digital format. Like DVD players being able to play .jpg files or being able to burn Photo DVD slideshows on My Sony DVD burner. I had planned on buying a D100 but the D70 has grabbed my attention.

I plan to purchase a D70 outfit when it is released as well as the 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Zoom-Nikkor. Total cost should be about $1450. This should give me 18-300mm zoom, 27-450mm zoom on this camera. I already have 2 SanDisk 256MB COMPACTFLASH ULTRA II cards, a spare EN-EL3, and a ML-L3 Remote Control Transmitter. I would plan on photographing friends, family, nature shots, landscapes, birds, and my house. My house is a fixer upper and I am doing alot of work on it. I would probably need a tripod, my stepfather's tripods are old and made of metal, so they are heavy. I dont know the differences between tripods or what to look for. I am 6'3" tall so the height of the tripod would be important. I would also need some advice as to what filters i should get if any. I took an online shortcourse about photography. Any suggestions of any sort are appreciated.

Tim, From PA
Camera Noob!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

racer008 Registered since 25th Feb 2004Wed 25-Feb-04 04:51 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Noob D70 user, Advice needed."
In response to Reply # 0

Scranton, US

Let me clarify my request, I have not used an SLR in years! I Only will have the gear listed above, I dont have a camera strap, bag, tripod, or any other gear. I would like to do hiking with my camera and take outdoor pictures, waterfalls, wildlife, and orchids that my mother grows. I am 6'3" tall and I would like any advice of what equipment might assist me with taking the type of pictures I desire. Advice on if the lenses I am planning on buying would seem appropriate, filters that could be used and what advantages they would give. I would rather be well informed before I purchase the equipment.

Thanks,
Tim, PA

Tim, From PA
Camera Noob!

StevenVW Registered since 20th Aug 2002Wed 25-Feb-04 08:12 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Noob D70 user, Advice needed."
In response to Reply # 1

Laakdal, BE

Hi,

I have a Velbon Sherpa tripod and I'm very happy with it. Nice head comes standard with it.

My advice would be to also buy (or maybe only buy) a mono-pod. This may come in handy, especially when you go hiking, since you can use most of them as a walking stick.

kr,

Steven

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 25-Feb-04 08:27 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Noob D70 user, Advice needed."
In response to Reply # 1

Salt Lake City, US

Hi Tim,

Some of the advice you see would be best researched looking through forums for camera bags and tripods. There are a lot of choices and it's hard to advise a total gear package. You should also figure out a budget, since someone could recommend a tripod and ballhead more expensive than your camera body.

But I can make some suggestions based on the camera you're getting. I'd get at least another 512 MB of memory, although a 1 GB card would be nice to have for more uniterrupted shooting. The D70 doesn't have a port that's compatible with your ML-3 remote and it lacks a threaded cable release socket. I'd suggest you order the optional infrared remote for the camera, although it may take a while to become available. In the meantime you'll need to use the self-timer for shake-free tripod shooting.

I personally have had lenses saved by using protective filters, so I recommend getting a UV filter with multicoating. This can help with CCD sensor UV sensitivity - the same kind of haze cutting effect for landscapes you get when using one with film. A circular polarizer is a good filter to own. I'd suggest getting just one for your largest filter diameter and use a stepping ring if necessary with other lenses. Color filters aren't needed with digital images, you can duplicate a vast collection easily via Photoshop. Neutral gradient filters can be useful, but you can composite two exposures and get a better result. So the polarizer and perhaps protective filters are all you really need. I personally like the Tamrac Boomerang strap, but straps and bags tend to be more of a personal preference. When you're not hiking, a big heavy tripod should be just the ticket. If you really will carry a lightweight tripod on hikes, get some advice in the tripods forum based on your budget.

I'd suggest you get the basics you know you'll need and acquire other new gear after you have a chance to get familiar with your camera and lenses.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

racer008 Registered since 25th Feb 2004Thu 26-Feb-04 12:38 AM
#4. "RE: Noob D70 user, Advice needed."
In response to Reply # 3

Scranton, US

> The D70 doesn't have a port that's compatible with
>your ML-3 remote and it lacks a threaded cable release
>socket. I'd suggest you order the optional infrared remote
>for the camera, although it may take a while to become
>available. In the meantime you'll need to use the self-timer
>for shake-free tripod shooting.

Thank you for the above info. The Step ring is a very good idea, one I hadn't considered. Maybe im wrong but on nikon's websites it lists the ML-L3 as the remote control.
http://www.europe-nikon.com/uploads/ngb/Brochures/GB/D70_Brochure.pdf

Help me out if I am reading it wrong.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim, From PA
Camera Noob!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217972 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.