nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Advice on the DX sensor format needed

augustine

La Habra, US
20 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
augustine Registered since 26th Feb 2004
Thu 26-Feb-04 09:54 PM

I have been shooting a manual focus camera until now, and am getting ready to make the transition to autofocus. Given the fact that I am starting from scratch, I am trying to take into consideration as much as I can in commiting to a system, especially the likely possibility that I will be getting a digital body in the near future. Although I am a Nikon guy at heart, I am concerned about Nikon using the DX format sensor as their standard size for their digital cameras. I am mainly someone who is interested in wide-angle photography, so the DX format is a hindrance to me, as well as being frustrating generally. As such, I welcome any input on the following questions:

1.) Is there any indication that Nikon would be likely to eschew the DX sensor size in favor of a full frame sensor? I have read reports that Nikon is committed to the DX format; this seems to make sense taking into account the fact that Nikon is now producing DX lenses. On the other hand seems to be moving to a full frame sensor, even if it is only on the upper end of their line due to economic reasons. Do you think it is likely that the rumored F6 will be a full sensor?

2.) For someone principally interested in wideangle photography, is it justified to jump ship with Nikon (i don't want to...) and go to the other company because they are embracing the full frame sensor? I really like the idea of having the same focal length to film size view ratio between a film and digital body.

3.) Am I overly critical of the DX sensor size?

Thank you ahead of time for everyone's input.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Advice on the DX sensor format needed

G