Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217644
View in linear mode

Subject: "No cable release for D70 ?" Previous topic | Next topic
bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberWed 28-Jan-04 08:53 PM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"No cable release for D70 ?"

Sammamish, US

It appears as if the D70 does not support any kind of cable release whatsoever. There does not seem to be a 10-pin (or other) socket anywhere on the body and the shutter release button is solid, lacking the hole needed to screw in a manual release cable.

Did I miss something, or did Nikon?

Bob Johnson
Earthbound Light
Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond
http://www.earthboundlight.com

Bob Johnson - Earthbound Light - Nikonians Gallery
Lots more new images!! - Weekly Phototips and Articles - RSS Feed

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: No cable release for D70 ?
ironhayden08
28th Jan 2004
vchong
28th Jan 2004
OmegaX25
28th Jan 2004
kc80s
28th Jan 2004
avm247 Moderator
28th Jan 2004
vchong
28th Jan 2004
vchong
28th Jan 2004
spacer
28th Jan 2004
bobj Silver Member
29th Jan 2004
JH
29th Jan 2004
tflub
29th Jan 2004
bobj Silver Member
29th Jan 2004
Reply message Not yet, anyway!
DigiSnap Mark
26th Feb 2004
Reply message Lots of people!
DigiSnap Mark
27th Feb 2004
Reply message Ahh, if it were as simple as it sounds...
DigiSnap Mark
27th Feb 2004
     Reply message RE: Ahh, if it were as simple as it sounds...
BJNicholls Gold Member
28th Feb 2004
Reply message Cable release mod?
DennisMe
27th Feb 2004
racer008
26th Feb 2004

ironhayden08 Basic MemberWed 28-Jan-04 09:20 PM
447 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Green Bay, US

I hear ya Bob, but I have another complaint. NO VERTICAL GRIP?? The digital rebel has one. The n75 has one, why cant the D70 have one? So far a grip has been left off of any specs, but maybe Nikon will just use the D100 grip? If you look at the width and the depth of the camera, they are pretty close. Maybe??

D100 5.7" W x 3.2" D
D70 5.5" W x 3.1 D

Jon Hayden
Green Bay, Wis.
Home of the 12 time NFL Champions
http://www.jonhayden.com

vchong Basic MemberWed 28-Jan-04 10:51 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Victoria, CA

I doubt it'll work. If the D70 doesn't have the contacts on the bottom of the unit, then we're SOL. Nikon doesn't often make typographical errors; if the specs say no vertical grip, then I am inclined to believe that none is available and none will be available in the future.

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

OmegaX25 Basic MemberWed 28-Jan-04 09:23 PM
177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Huntersville, US

No, the D70 does not appear to have a cable release, unless you can add a vertical grip with one. At this point there's no mention of any vertical grip compatibility. It does have an optional wireless remote release available though. I still prefer a mechanical cable release (or even an electronic one for use with MC-12A).

-----
Pete Teoh
http://teoh.us

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Wed 28-Jan-04 09:44 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Yes, that's correct -- shutter release cable can't be used.

As is typical of Nikon, be prepared to shell out big bucks for the remote. *sigh*

Just another way to generate revenue.

Well, think of it this way -- we gain by paying less for a very competent (for the price point anyway) camera, and we lose by paying for hardly optional options like this remote thing.

I can't wait to see the D70 in person. I hope build quality is as good as the D100...

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 28-Jan-04 10:41 PM
18340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 3

Rancho Cordova, US

Nikon uses the same Remote Control transmitter as the N65, Pronea S and LiteTouch cameras, the ML-L3, it costs $16.95 at B&H. (Nikon USA's press release.)

From Thom Hogan's D70 Page:
"It doesn't have a threaded shutter release, but has a wireless IR remote. The ML-L3 remote isn't included, but it's less than US$20. Range on the IR remote is adequate for casual self-portrait use, but not for serious long distance triggering."

Why not have a remote release that plugs into the USB port the way the Coolpix MC-EU1 remote plugs in? (Granted this is a pricey solution and I hear, can be difficult to set.) Heck even a battery pack with a two pin release (MC-12a or MC-12b) would be great.

No word on a battery pack...but the camera ships with a battery holder to make use of disposable lithium batteries (3 - CR2). (Nikon USA press release)

I know we want the world. Who doesn't. This is still an "entry" DSLR with some impressive specs. The copier company forum in DPReview have been discussing it, too.

Anthony

Find out more about me on the Moderator Page
"The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard."

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

vchong Basic MemberWed 28-Jan-04 10:54 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Victoria, CA

I bought an ML-L3 for the F65 for less than $20. Cheapest Nikon accessory I've ever bought -- silly rubber Nikon lenshoods cost more than this little puppy. It's easy to use, small and fits in the hand well. Downside is the limited range, as Thom mentions.

If you're really crazy enough, I'm sure it would be pretty simple to build a threared cable-release to infrared adapter...

vchong Basic MemberWed 28-Jan-04 10:49 PM
#5. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Victoria, CA

Nope, you didn't miss anything Bob, and neither did Nikon.

F65, F75, and D70 all use infrared remotes for release, and as you know, nothing in the current film line under the F100 includes a 10-pin remote terminal either.

I consider the 10-pin terminal an "advanced feature" and doubt that many of Nikon's main target market are going to miss it on their D70.

spacer Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberWed 28-Jan-04 11:09 PM
1690 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

DE

No cable release, but there is that remote as others already mentioned.

IMHO there would be no more reason to buy a D100 and Nikon could simply discontinue it. Too me, the D70 appears to be a better camera looking at the specs: New sensor, 1/500 flash sync and lighter in weight. Faster write speed for jpegs (same for raw).

The 1/500th flash sync could be a reason to downgrade... or upgrade it Nikon would come out with an affordable D??? w/ CAM1300 AF system and 1/500 th flash sync....

Andreas

Andreas

Learn more about me and the Nikonians team on ourTeam Page.

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberThu 29-Jan-04 12:41 AM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 8

Sammamish, US

Me, I'm waiting for the D2x

Bob Johnson
Earthbound Light

JH Basic MemberThu 29-Jan-04 07:00 AM
1477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampere, FI

Hello,

Lack of cable release is not problem for me. I assume that 99.99% of my shooting can be done via electronic remote release

"Saving, I am saving
Home again, 'cross the sea
I am saving, stormy waters
To be near you, to be free"

Janne, who is saving for D70

"Sunset is always an experience - but check the ISO speed!"

Visit my site at: http://www.nordicview.fi

tflub Registered since 22nd Feb 2002Thu 29-Jan-04 01:43 PM
257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Do we really care that much about no cable release?!?! Isn't that like complaining that your Porshe doesn't have a roof rack? First of all, this camera looks like a home run for Nikon. You can use the remote for under $20 or just do what I often do with my N80 and set the timer at a short interval like 3 seconds and shoot it in timer mode to eliminate camera shake. I find that that produces less camera shake than a mechanical cable release anyway. I think it's a good sign for this camera if we are forced to find things to complain about like a cable release.

I also think that with the new imaging system, the D70 will produce sharper, more colorful photos right out of the box than the D100, and yet provide all of the creative flexibility anyone could want.

Flub

Please vivit my photo-centric blog: www.shutterblogger.blogspot.com

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberThu 29-Jan-04 02:45 PM
#12. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 11

Sammamish, US

Don't get me wrong: I'm not 'finding things to complain about,' I was merely surprised. The camera does indeed look to be a home run for Nikon. It is reported to already be listed at a cheaper price than the Canon digital Rebel in Japan yet it is a much more feature packed camera. I'd say Nikon will certainly get a lot of film to digital converts with this move and may well get some Canon to Nikon converts as well. At the very least, folks just entering the camera market will find a better deal with the D70 than the Canon 300D.

Bob Johnson
Earthbound Light

DigiSnap Mark Registered since 26th Feb 2004Thu 26-Feb-04 08:44 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "Not yet, anyway!"
In response to Reply # 0

Gig Harbor, US

Don't hold your breath, but I'm planning to develop a cable release modification for the D70. There are no internal contacts within the battery compartment other than for the battery itself, so there will be some body modification required.

Mark

wwww.Harbortronics.com
Home of the DigiSnap

DigiSnap Mark Registered since 26th Feb 2004Fri 27-Feb-04 12:52 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "Lots of people!"
In response to Reply # 13

Gig Harbor, US

Note the IR remote must be operated from the front of the camera... kinda limits the applications.

There are loads of remote control applications that are automated (i.e. time-lapse, sensor triggers), or you may want to operate from more than a few feet away from the camera...

wwww.Harbortronics.com
Home of the DigiSnap

DigiSnap Mark Registered since 26th Feb 2004Fri 27-Feb-04 08:37 AM
#17. "Ahh, if it were as simple as it sounds..."
In response to Reply # 15

Gig Harbor, US

USB is a very asymmetric interface. USB 'devices' are relatively simple, and there are loads of tools and chips to use to implement them. Unfortunately to control a camera requires a USB 'Host', which is a very different beast! This requires a load of infrastructure, and while it is 'possible', it's not gonna happen!

We control Coolpixies via the serial port, as does Nikon's own MC-EU1, and the firmware required to handle the various quirks of all of the different cameras is actually much more difficult than you might imagine.

Mark

wwww.Harbortronics.com
Home of the DigiSnap

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSat 28-Feb-04 05:19 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Ahh, if it were as simple as it sounds..."
In response to Reply # 17

Salt Lake City, US

The MC-EU1 that I used with my CP990 really sucked. It had to be short since it acts as an antenna and had a big ferrite core even at the short length. It took a long time to boot with the camera and the camera's controls were were rendered null when using the remote. The remote increased lag time, it cost a lot, required its own battery and I was glad to be rid of it.

The 10-pin connector is a high end feature, but I'd have preferred that in addition to the IR remote for the D70 Nikon put a simple threaded release socket on the camera.

I wish Nikon had a better design for the 10-pin connector. I can't be the only person who wonders why removing a body cap and attaching a wired remote should be a fussy operation. Unfortunately, it's now a standard that will probably never change.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

DennisMe Registered since 12th Nov 2003Fri 27-Feb-04 07:47 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "Cable release mod?"
In response to Reply # 13

Roosendaal, NL

Why not use the USB port?
You should be able to use a protocol analyser on Nikon capture to study the communications protocol. Then you could write some code more or less does the same. There are loads of embedded controllers that do USB these days. Think of the almost endless possibilities!
It's just my bad luck that I don't have the time, or that would certainly have been one of my next projects...

Dennis.

racer008 Registered since 25th Feb 2004Thu 26-Feb-04 11:42 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: No cable release for D70 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Scranton, US

I bought the ML-L3 for $18US + shipping.

Who needs a cable when you have a remote!

Tim, PA

Tim, From PA
Camera Noob!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217644 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.