Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217632
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why is D70 more expensive in the UK?" Previous topic | Next topic
PRW Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Apr 2002Thu 26-Feb-04 03:57 PM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why is D70 more expensive in the UK?"

Plymouth, GB

Latest exchange rates:
£1 = €1.50
£1 = US$1.86

So how come the D70 outfit will cost £1000 in the UK, €1100 in Europe and US$1300 in the USA?

:'(

It seems that most photography hardware is a lot more expensive in the UK.

I'm sure there is an good explanation, and knowing would make me happier (but only slightly)!

Kind regards,
Paul

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.paulwheelerphotography.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/paul_wheeler/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

justarius Registered since 21st Oct 2003Thu 26-Feb-04 09:14 PM
126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why is D70 more expensive in the UK?"
In response to Reply # 0

Singapore,

I don't know the explanation either! But one good thing about the strong pound is that we can get things a lot cheaper if we buy them overseas. So far, I've gotten a speedlight, one camera body, and 2 lenses from the US at very competitive prices, even if I had to pay duties and the VAT (which I needn't because I'm still a student). What's more, I'm likely to turn a profit if I unload the stuff onto the UK second hand market (which I wouldn't...NAS... must resist...)

Anyway, back in my hometown of Singapore, the D70 is going to hit stores tomorrow, with a price tag of roughly S$2100, which is around 660 pounds or US$1230.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 28-Feb-04 05:49 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why is D70 more expensive in the UK?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>>So how come the D70 outfit will cost £1000 in the UK, €1100
>in Europe and US$1300 in the USA?
>
The UK list price of £850 excluding VAT compares more reasonably to USA $1300 excluding sales tax.

The USA and UK list prices were decided about 3 months ago when exchange rates were different.

My guess is there will be little discounting by Nikon in the USA due to the dollars fall and more in the UK due to the pounds rise.

It's the street price that counts.

Excluding sales tax the D2h was £1790 and the 200-400VR was £4100 at UK Focus last week.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217632 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.