nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217492
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question for the lucky few" Previous topic | Next topic
jdl Basic MemberSat 28-Feb-04 02:33 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question for the lucky few"

US

For those lucky few who have already had the opportunity to hold a D70 in their hands, I have a silly question: what is the "feel" of the shutter release button? Let me try to explain what I mean: my Coolpix 5700 has a very "electronic switch" feel to it - you press the shutter release button lightly and it clicks at the halfway point (when it engages the AF and meter), then you press it harder and it clicks again when it triggers the shutter release. It feels very artificial and electronic to me, and I have never been able to get used to that "feel." I much prefer the more mechanical spring-loaded feel of a traditional SLR.

From the pictures I've seen, the button looks just like the one on my 5700, and I'm really hoping that's not the case.

jdl

Jeff

A Southeastern Pennsylvanian Nikonian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff_l

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question for the lucky few
rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources
28th Feb 2004
vchong
28th Feb 2004
rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources
28th Feb 2004
vchong
29th Feb 2004
BRiggleman
29th Feb 2004

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Sat 28-Feb-04 03:23 PM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question for the lucky few"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

The shutter release on the D70 feels about the same as the D100. It is much better than the feel of the 5700 shutter release.

It is definitely not the same as an FM2, but much the same feel along the lines of the current consumer SLR offerings.

Allan, A Comox Valley Nikonian
Find out more about me on the Nikonians Team Page

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

vchong Basic MemberSat 28-Feb-04 07:28 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question for the lucky few"
In response to Reply # 1

Victoria, CA

Better than the F65, right Allan?

The F65 has a notoriously "trigger happy" shutter release. There isn't all that much play between the meter-on position and the full-press shutter release.

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Sat 28-Feb-04 09:01 PM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question for the lucky few"
In response to Reply # 2

Vancouver, CA

Victor,

Another advantage that the D70 has over the F65 is that you do not have to correctly load film before taking photographs.

Allan, A Comox Valley Nikonian
Find out more about me on the Nikonians Team Page

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

vchong Basic MemberSun 29-Feb-04 12:44 AM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question for the lucky few"
In response to Reply # 3

Victoria, CA

What? You mean E and 3 aren't the same thing?

Allan, soon too, I will be saying: "Film? What's that?" Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins!

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

BRiggleman Registered since 10th Nov 2002Sun 29-Feb-04 02:48 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question for the lucky few"
In response to Reply # 0

Charles Town, US

I too, got a small amount of time with a D70 at ACE Camera in Sterling VA. The Nikon rep. was there and even allowed the shop to keep the camera overnight to play with.

It feels just slightly smaller than a D100, lighter but still solid.

The shutter operated just like the D100. I did not notice any shutter lag, nor have I noticed it on my D100 ( until I got to shoot a D2H, that same day....WoW!!!!)

The pictures that I shot with it were the same as I get with the D100.
I unfortunately did not notice it was set to spot during my play time and the 7 pictures I took reflected such.

It is going to be a great seller for Nikon. If I had to choose between the D100 and the D70, its a no brainer...D70.

The Nikon rep. also said the D100 is no longer being manufactured.

Brad

I always want the next model up!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217492 Previous topic | Next topic