Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217440
View in linear mode

Subject: "Film Vs Digital for landscape" Previous topic | Next topic
fototopo Registered since 10th Oct 2003Mon 01-Mar-04 09:36 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Film Vs Digital for landscape"

Corbetta -MI,

I'm a landscape / nature photographer. Now I use a nikkor prime set (20,28,50, 105) and a good zoom (80-200 2.8), with a F80 & Velvia, and I love a good slide show as big prints (say 13x19 or more)!

But, in this times, all the media are tryng to move us to digital.
Nikon released the new D70, so it become affordable.

The question, now. Anybody has gone from a setup like mine to the digital?

And if you done it, you use only digital now?
What about wide angles, big prints ecc.?

At the end: Is the digital qualities enough for a landscape photographer who love's a good prime resolution/coluor rendition and a 50 ISO slide?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gavinjung Registered since 04th Apr 2002Mon 01-Mar-04 11:34 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Film Vs Digital for landscape"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

well, i'm probably not the best person to say, as i'm not really into landscapes, but it seems that velvia-like images are well within the capability of DLSRs like the D100. for large prints, you may find that film will give you a little more detail, but apparently most people don't find this a problem that sharpening can't compensate for. on the flipside, digital seems to exhibit better tone compared to most films. basically, digital and film are different, but equally capable in the end. my main concern for you, actually, is that the crop factor will shift all your primes' effective focal lengths up by 1.5x. you may not like how your lens collection sits after that. if you want to maintain your 20mm wide angles, you'll need a lens capable of 13mm or so! $$$! not to mention your 105mm will now be about 155mm and your 80-200 will be 120-300 or so. not sure you'll appreciate that.

gj

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 02-Mar-04 12:50 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Film Vs Digital for landscape"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

I'm getting great 12x18 prints via my Fuji S2. This camera squeezes out a little more resolution than a normal 6 Mpix sensor (about 9 Mpix equivalent). I'd suggest you find some full res landscape image files from a D100 and you'll have what you need to do your own evaluation. What works for me may not suit you, so it's better to experience the files first hand. If you have a converter like ACR in Photoshop CS, I'd also suggest you also try raw file conversions.

I don't shoot 35mm film anymore except occasionally via my Xpan panoramic rangefinder (24x65 frame). You can use raw settings to get color characteristics of many film types. If you like Velvia you'll want to run the color saturation relatively high along with the contrast.

I do still want higher sensor resolution, but that's because I'm excited about getting medium format performance via a DSLR. The Canon 1Ds and Kodak 14n offer this, but the prices and the Kodak's quirks aren't for me.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217440 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.