Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217160
View in linear mode

Subject: "D100 or D70 right choice ?" Previous topic | Next topic
imakshar Registered since 28th Feb 2004Sun 29-Feb-04 04:05 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D100 or D70 right choice ?"

Ft. Lauderdale, US

The big confusion is I was not sure between D100 and D70 it seems that D70 is much bettr choice as far as money is concern. But I would also need some time to play with the camera in order to make sure that I get best out of it before I use it in function I am waiting for. I was almost tempted to buy D100 and than thought that one month wait is not that bad. But now it seems that it is prolonging even more. Am I doing right by waiting for D70 and not buying D100 ?
Ck

Ck

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?
kc80s
29th Feb 2004
xcutter
29th Feb 2004
naga
29th Feb 2004
Simon
01st Mar 2004
BJNicholls Gold Member
01st Mar 2004
zinfella
01st Mar 2004
vchong
02nd Mar 2004
BJNicholls Gold Member
02nd Mar 2004
Covey22 Moderator
01st Mar 2004
vchong
02nd Mar 2004
Covey22 Moderator
02nd Mar 2004
vchong
02nd Mar 2004
BJNicholls Gold Member
02nd Mar 2004
fivetoad
02nd Mar 2004
pc gee
02nd Mar 2004
Covey22 Moderator
02nd Mar 2004
vchong
02nd Mar 2004
Reply message No more waiting here...
pmirror
02nd Mar 2004

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Sun 29-Feb-04 02:52 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I think it's definitely worth the wait. I, plus a few people here as far as I can tell, are in the same boat as you.

Unless the features/advantages you get on a D100 and not on a D70 are really that important to you (e.g. vertical grip, arguably better build, and to a certain extent bragging rights), IMHO there is no reason not to get the D70.

xcutter Registered since 27th Feb 2004Sun 29-Feb-04 04:04 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I think the D70 is worth the wait. I have preordered and hope to have it in a couple of weeks for my March 16th vacation. I figure that with the money I save on the D70, I have that money to spend on lenses and accessories. I also think that the D70 is pretty equal to the D100. A side by side comparison will show that. If you think that you will have any regrets once the D70 comes out and you have the D100, that answers your question.
Rich

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

naga Registered since 24th Dec 2002Sun 29-Feb-04 04:22 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 2

SUNNYVALE, US

In my opinion, if there is something you ought to achieve immediately, and there is money involved then it may be ok to invest in a D100 and start reaping the benefits of it. Otherwise, I am also oof the opinion that wait may be better. Obviously Nikon will come out of successor to D100 sometime soon. But if one plays the waiting game indefinitely, there is no end.

Simon Basic MemberMon 01-Mar-04 02:00 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 3

I think the D70 is the D100 replacement. Assuming the D2X (or whatever they're going to call it) is due out later this year with it's features tweaked as a result of D70 user feedback, it probably wouldn't make sense to have the D100 and D70 running at the same time.

The D70 is two years ahead of the D100. The 100 is a great camera, but 2 years is a long time in digital ! Go for the D70.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberMon 01-Mar-04 02:55 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Feature for feature, the D70 is camera I'd wait for. The D100 is reportedly no longer in production. If the function you'd like to be ready for is very important or lucrative, then you have to weigh your choices.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

zinfella Registered since 25th Feb 2004Mon 01-Mar-04 06:53 PM
356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 5

Mesa, US

"The D100 is reportedly no longer in production."

Not too surprising actually, but it does beg some questions. Is Nikon to leave in excess of a $2000.00 gap between the D70 and it's next in line DSLR offering? Shouldn't we expect a direct competitor to the 10D from Nikon, one in the same price range where the D100 resides? Obvioiusly the D70 is purposely hobbled, no verticle grip, no standard cable release, less than optimum viewfinder, etc., can't we expect a D100 replacement that addresses some of those concerns in an under $3000.00 camera? We've seen that Nikon has issues with bringing products to market, issues serious enough to cause concern in financial circles, does the D70 mark and end to those concerns?

Please don't take my remarks as dumping on the D70, far from it, I think it will be a winner. I just don't think that Nikon's stable is going to remain as is for long. This fast paced area of photography brings with it a certain amount of buyers remorse as new models hit the market at a pace faster than most can afford to stay current with.

Carl

A Mesa, Arizona Nikonian

vchong Basic MemberTue 02-Mar-04 12:36 AM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 6

Victoria, CA

I've read elsewhere of rumours that there will be at least two more DSLR announcements from Nikon this year. Announcements, of course, from Nikon, mean that the product is still long (the date of announcement + four to six months) from your local shelf.

Nobody has said it outright, but we can speculate that one of them will be the D2x (it's just a matter of time; there's no doubt that it will exist, right?) and the other one could well be a direct D100 replacement.

Do I have any evidence or proof of this? None at all, except that logically there should be something to fill the large gap from D70 to D2h, as you aptly point out. And marketing people are all about finding a niche in the market and exploiting it, so if Nikon doesn't plug up the $2000 hole, something like Fuji's S3 Pro will...

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 02-Mar-04 12:58 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 8

Salt Lake City, US

Dealers coming back from the PMA show are talking $3K for the S3 (it had better be more than its current specs at that price). The S2 may remain in production at a lower price. But Nikon needs to be at a range of pricepoints and performance levels. There are at least two gaping holes that need to be filled soon.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 01-Mar-04 08:19 PM
10565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I agonized with a similar decision when the D100 had become available. I closed my eyes, bought it, and haven't regretted it since. The payoff for me is the wonderful photos that I have made since then with it. It's not that I wasn't making satisifactory photographs with my film cameras prior to digital, but it's those moments that I did capture with the D100 that make it worthwhile. I knew the moment I bought the camera that it would be outdated in a couple of years. This is true of any commodity nowadays - computers, cars, PDAs, you name it. Is it worth it to you? Well, you'll be missing out on great photographs as you kepp pondering this thought. My not-so-humble $0.02 - pick one and get out there and shoot!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

vchong Basic MemberTue 02-Mar-04 12:40 AM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Victoria, CA

Ah, you knew that the D100 would be outdated in a couple of years, but the question is: should somebody buy a product that is already out-of-date? No doubt the D70 will be eclipsed by a D85 (or whatever) down the road, but at the time you bought your D100 it was still Nikon's latest digital.

I agree that people are losing out on potential shots, but good things come to those who wait...

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 02-Mar-04 01:07 AM
10565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I don't see how the D100 is an out of date choice Victor. I bought the D100 at the end of the lifecycle - I got exactly one year out of her before the D70 hit the streets in Singapore. Quite frankly, there's more accessory equipment (like third-party flashes) out there that supports the D100 than the D70 right now. There's no danger of parts running out or someone snapping up D100 units in the hopes of selling one as an antique piece on eBay someday in the future. There's all sorts of requirements - what it boils down to is what the original poster needs and wants to do. Either camera will work for most purposes. There's very few things that are a deal-breaker, and there isn't a clear winner here.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

vchong Basic MemberTue 02-Mar-04 09:07 AM
#14. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 12

Victoria, CA

You'll get no argument from me that the D100 is a very capable camera with excellent performance. With the D100's secession from production, however, it's clear that the D100's days in Nikon's stable are numbered.

You're right in saying that at the moment there's more third-party accessories available for the D100 than D70, but of course this will change in the next few months.

I never bought a D100 because it's too expensive for my shallow pockets. The D70 is the first Nikon DSLR that I can even begin to justify so the choice is a no-brainer for me. The fact that the D70's specifications as a whole match or even eclipse the D100 is just icing on the cake, IMHO.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 02-Mar-04 01:00 AM
#11. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Salt Lake City, US

But you didn't get an existing D1 model a month before the D100 came out...

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

fivetoad Registered since 23rd Feb 2002Tue 02-Mar-04 01:52 AM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 11

Garland, US

I was originally planning to buy a D100 this month, but then the D70 came along. I really like the D70 specs, but the D100 somehow seems a bit more of a complete system, maybe a bit sturdier, too. If the bottom falls out of the D100 market once the D70 is readily available, it will make the choice more interesting.

Reading these forums ALMOST had me convinced that I needed a D2H, but I've backed off from that a bit lately. <laugh> We'll see where I end up...

Dan

Dan Johnsen
Garland, TX
Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

pc gee Registered since 24th Feb 2004Tue 02-Mar-04 03:04 PM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

OK, I'm just a NikoNewbie, but I am not a newbie to 35mm or the techno-consumer arena, so here's my .02 ...

As many others here have stated, you can play the waiting game forever if you fall into the "snake-bite" mentality. There WILL be a D100 replacement; these guys are way too marketing-savvy to let that price point dangle for long, the "D200" WILL have some attractive features/characterisitics that will make it viable to compete in that niche, and in 24-30 months, there WILL be a D70 replacement announced - these are just the unavoidable tenets of our industry-on-steroids worldwide marketplace.

But I digress - IMHO ... D100 or D70? Can you wait 4-6 weeks? If so, get on a D70 list, and invest the extra $$ in glass - if not, buy a D100 and go out and shoot and never look back - you can use it as your back-up body when you buy your "D200".

Just MHO ...

R/Paul

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."
~ Picasso

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 02-Mar-04 03:03 PM
#16. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

You know what BJ? That's exactly what I was thinking about when I had the money burning a hole in my pocket. LOL! There were two refurbished D1 systems available from B&H and the D100 was just finally coming in stock at major retailers. I don't ever mind buying last year's model - especially if it can do what I want it to do.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

vchong Basic MemberTue 02-Mar-04 03:39 PM
#18. "RE: D100 or D70 right choice ?"
In response to Reply # 16

Victoria, CA

The only things burning holes through my pockets are my fingers, desperately scrapping inside for spare change!

pmirror Registered since 24th Nov 2002Tue 02-Mar-04 12:57 PM
1247 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "No more waiting here..."
In response to Reply # 0

Jakarta, ID

in Jakarta, today, we have more than enough D70 for 1020USD.
The question still remains D70 vs D100....

Pinky Mirror
Nikonians@Jakarta,Indonesia--
it's near Bali, if you don't know where it is

www.pinkymirror.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #217160 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.