nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216980
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does the D70 accept custom curves?" Previous topic | Next topic
F80 Basic MemberWed 03-Mar-04 02:15 PM
7082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Does the D70 accept custom curves?"

Toronto, CA

I consider the D100's custom curve feature very attractive and if I ever have the money for a DSLR I will look for this feature. Does the D70 have it? I can't find it mentioned in any specs that I've seen. Thanks.

F80

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DennisMe Registered since 12th Nov 2003Wed 03-Mar-04 04:26 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Does the D70 accept custom curves?"
In response to Reply # 0

Roosendaal, NL

This is from D70 the manual:

Adjusting Contrast: Tone Comp.
As photographs are saved to the memory card, they are processed to adjust the distribution of tones in the image, en hancing contrast. Tone compen sation is performed by means of tone curves that define the relationship between the distribution of tones in the original image and the compensated
result. The Tone comp. menu controls the type of curve used.

Option Custom:

Custom curve can be created in Nikon Capture 4 version 4.1
or later (available separately) and downloaded to camera.
Choose Custom to select this user-defined curve. If no
custom curve has been created, this option is equivalent to
Normal.

F80 Basic MemberWed 03-Mar-04 04:50 PM
7082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does the D70 accept custom curves?"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

Thanks for the good news.

F80

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ballroom_boy Registered since 05th Sep 2002Thu 04-Mar-04 04:54 PM
1341 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Does the D70 accept custom curves?"
In response to Reply # 2

Stratford, CA

Hi there

I have been shooting with a Fuji S2... and I do not understand the concept of "custom curves"... please excuse my ignorance. What is a custom curve? Is it like the concepts of "curves" in Photoshop that the camera uses to modify the image?

Thanks for enlightening me!

Roël
http://roelphoto.com

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 04-Mar-04 07:25 PM
10877 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Does the D70 accept custom curves?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Nikon DSLRs have a "tone compensation" setting that is similar in operation to the exposure curve control in PhotoShop. Camera owners can apply different tone settings depending upon subject and desired effect. The CUSTOM tone setting allows you to upload a user-specified curve; for this you will need Nikon Capture to define and upload the curve.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216980 Previous topic | Next topic