Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216808
View in linear mode

Subject: "2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international..." Previous topic | Next topic
gavinjung Registered since 04th Apr 2002Tue 02-Mar-04 08:40 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international..."

Vancouver, CA

i'm planning to get my D70 sometime in the near future. from what I understand, the warrantee for nikon DSLRs is now 2 years here in canada. i assume the international warrantee is just 1 year still. regardless of the length of warrantee, is the international warrantee a hassle to get service done? if it's comparable to the domestic warrantee, is there something else i'm missing that would make it a pain getting a 'foreign' D70? you see, what i'd be getting in exchange for all this pain is a significant savings of about $300cad. and actually, do you guys see any hassle, in terms of warrantee and service, for getting the camera out of province? planning on ordering from alberta where the sales tax is half what it is here in BC. any thots?

GJ

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international.
kc80s
02nd Mar 2004
Reply message RE: 2 year Canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international.
Len Shepherd Gold Member
03rd Mar 2004
     Reply message RE: 2 year Canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international.
kc80s
03rd Mar 2004
vchong
03rd Mar 2004
gavinjung
03rd Mar 2004
vchong
04th Mar 2004
rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources
03rd Mar 2004
ballroom_boy
03rd Mar 2004
Alex_86
03rd Mar 2004
kc80s
03rd Mar 2004
JMWarren
03rd Mar 2004
kc80s
03rd Mar 2004
04th Mar 2004
vchong
05th Mar 2004
05th Mar 2004
ballroom_boy
05th Mar 2004
05th Mar 2004
Reply message What about the UK though?
cmelikian
03rd Mar 2004
Reply message RE: What about the UK though?
Steve Zango
03rd Mar 2004
Reply message RE: What about the UK though?
Tamislan
03rd Mar 2004

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Tue 02-Mar-04 09:37 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I know what you are thinking.

AFAIK (and it has been covered in other threads) Nikon Canada will not honour warranty for stuff that's not bought in Canada. So "international warranty" or not becomes moot.

I already learned my lesson with my F80s. That's why I'm going to get my D70 in Canada this time even though I know I can get it slightly cheaper abroad. I think dSLRs are still relatively delicate, so I wouldn't risk it. If it's a film camera (where the technology has matured enough), ok, I'll take the risk. Having said that, however, I will get the DX flash abroad as it is not something that I use everyday -- so in theory it is less likely to malfunction.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Wed 03-Mar-04 03:09 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: 2 year Canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 1

Yorkshire, UK

> Having said that, however, I will get the DX
>flash abroad

Be warned.
Due to tight EEC electric regulations EEC speedlights have different external power connectors and do not interchange with North American accessories.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Wed 03-Mar-04 04:37 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: 2 year Canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 10

Toronto, CA

>> Having said that, however, I will get the DX
>>flash abroad
>
>Be warned.
>Due to tight EEC electric regulations EEC speedlights have
>different external power connectors and do not interchange
>with North American accessories.

So, will a SB-800 purchased abroad not work correctly on a D70 that's bought in Canada (or North America for that matter)?

I'm not going to feed the SB-800 with external power...

The only "accessory" I will be using will be the SC-17 extension cable which I already have.

My F80S was bought outside Canada and I have had no problem with either my SC-17 (bought in Canada) or my SB28 (bought from the States).

Please advise.
Or are the DX lines a different story?

vchong Basic MemberWed 03-Mar-04 02:14 AM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 0

Victoria, CA

Gavin, when you buy from out of the province there is NO provincial sales tax, regardless of the foreign provinces' taxation scheme. So long as you buy from within Canada, however, you'll never get away from the 7% GST.

Therefore, whether it's from Prince Edward Island or Nunavut, you'll only pay 7% GST on your purchase from outside of B.C. (unless the company that you deal with has a B.C. office, in which case they are required by law to charge you 7.5% B.C. provincial sales tax).

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

gavinjung Registered since 04th Apr 2002Wed 03-Mar-04 08:14 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 2

Vancouver, CA

alright, i know this is a bit redundant, but just humour me. ;8)
as long as i don't buy in my home province of BC, a canadian store is only supposed to charge me the 7% GST? how am i supposed to prove that i'm not from their province? driver's license? worse yet, how do i prove this over the internet? my mailing address? if all this is correct, then basically this means i have all of online canada outside of BC to shop?

anyways, so far, the best local advertised price i can find is $1870 CAD at DunneandRundle downtown vancouver. most places are advertising $1900. if i could get away from the 7.5% PST, that's the same as getting it for about $1775. Any place you could recommend locally for a similar or better deal than that?

Gavin.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vchong Basic MemberThu 04-Mar-04 07:15 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 14

Victoria, CA

Yes, so far as I understand it, so long as the SHIPPING address on the invoice is out of the province, then only GST is charged (although I have heard that Quebec still charges both taxes... not sure). Don't take my word for it -- when you place an order, confirm that you're only paying the 7% GST. And yeah, basically you have all of online Canada outside of BC to shop if you want to skip the provincial tax.

I've seen a price similar to $1870 here in Victoria. From what I understand there's going to be little opportunity for price negotiation initially (at least on the camera body + lens) due to the very high demand (if you don't want to pay full price, somebody else will). You can probably swing deals on filters, maybe the SB-800, an additional lens, etc. though.

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Wed 03-Mar-04 03:02 AM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

Gavin,

Be sure you shop around before you make your decision. I'm sure you can find a shop in BC where you will be able to get the camera with lens for about $1799.99.

If you can't, ask Victor, He'll know where to send you.

Allan, A Comox Valley Nikonian
Find out more about me on the Nikonians Team Page

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

ballroom_boy Registered since 05th Sep 2002Wed 03-Mar-04 03:24 AM
1341 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 3

Stratford, CA

In my last dealing with Nikon service here in Toronto, they told me that they will honour foreign Nikon warranties for 1 year except for digital products. I have had a US Nikon lens repaired here under warranty and at the same time, seen someone have their D100 turned away for repair (they will still repair it for a fee, just not under warranty).

So, to have a Nikon Canada warranty on digital products, you must buy it in Canada.

Roël
http://roelphoto.com

Alex_86 Registered since 19th Aug 2003Wed 03-Mar-04 03:37 AM
1431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 4

CA

I would never buy a sophisticated peace of gear such as the D70 out of your home country, even if it meant saving some money.
Even if you buy it in Canada do not go for the lowest price just because it is cheap. Be sure that the store will serve you just as well if not better after your purchase. I have no problem paying a bit extra for the added benefit of service.
As the others have stated you should have know problems finding a vendor to deal with.

Happy Shooting
Alex

Alex Ratson
www.alexratsonphotography.com

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Wed 03-Mar-04 01:45 PM
#9. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

>Be sure you shop around before you make your decision. I'm
>sure you can find a shop in BC where you will be able to get
>the camera with lens for about $1799.99.

$1799.99 CAD or US!?

Henry's sells the body (pre-order) for around C$1450 and the 18-70DX for C$500 here in Toronto...

Anyone know where I may be able to find a better deal in Toronto?

JMWarren Registered since 24th Jun 2002Wed 03-Mar-04 03:37 PM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 9

Mississauga/London, CA

Photocrative, just outside toronto in mississauga has the body+lense for 1869.99. WWW.Photocrative.com

Mike Warren

Mike Warren

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Wed 03-Mar-04 04:39 PM
#13. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 11

Toronto, CA

Thanks Mike!

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Thu 04-Mar-04 11:09 PM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 9

Vancouver, CA

Actally, PhotoTech In BC will be selling the Body/Lens kit for $1799.00 CDN. There is no sales tax for out of province sales.

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

vchong Basic MemberFri 05-Mar-04 02:34 AM
#17. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 16

Victoria, CA

Hey Allan, are you going to stockpile a half-dozen for your Nikonian buddies?

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Fri 05-Mar-04 04:11 AM
#18. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 17

Vancouver, CA

I have 6 on order, and 4 are allready presold. I will probably order more this week.

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

ballroom_boy Registered since 05th Sep 2002Fri 05-Mar-04 04:27 AM
1341 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 18

Stratford, CA

Allan,

When do you expect the first shipment of D70's into Canada?

Roël
http://roelphoto.com

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Fri 05-Mar-04 04:36 AM
#20. "RE: 2 year canadian warrantee vs. 1 year international."
In response to Reply # 19

Vancouver, CA

I'm pretty sure, according to Nikon, that we will have ours by the end of the month. We are an Advanced Systems Dealer, and we have had them on order pretty much since day one, so we should have no problem getting our allotment.

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

cmelikian Registered since 22nd Dec 2003Wed 03-Mar-04 07:16 AM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "What about the UK though?"
In response to Reply # 0

London, UK

I'm considering buying a D70 when I'm in the US. When I buy it in the US it will cost me approximately 770GBP. In the UK it will cost 1399GBP or basically half (1GBP = 1.83USD).

It makes the warranty decision much more difficult. Saving 600GBP would pay for any bills (probably) if they should appear?

Chris.

Steve Zango Registered since 20th Feb 2004Wed 03-Mar-04 08:48 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What about the UK though?"
In response to Reply # 6

Camigliano, IT

I have seen on the web site of the Italian importer that they suggest a retail price of 1.589,00 euro for the D70 + 18-70 AF-S DX + 256 M card (delivery from mid of march.

Now, considering the actual exchange rate between US Dollar and Euro and the fact that the body only will cost in the USA about 1000 dollars (equal to slightly more than 800 Euro), I believe that the difference in price will cover any risk. I already have Nikon lenses so I would purchase anyway only the D70 body.

I still hope that local discount shops (see www.ilfotoamatore.it) will offer the D70 for a cheaper price.

I am planning to be in the states in late spring and I will surely have a look at local shops to buy one D70.

Stefano

Steve Z

Tamislan Registered since 12th Nov 2002Wed 03-Mar-04 01:42 PM
462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What about the UK though?"
In response to Reply # 6

Dallas, US

(For US readers, in Europe the word "shop" corresponds to your word "store", *grin*)

Hello Chris,

I don't know where you're looking but you shouldn't be paying any more than 999 sterling pounds for the D70 + 18-70 lens kit. Whoever is charging you 1399 is ripping you off and then some.

Be aware that if you buy your camera outside the EU and try to bring it back you could get into a pickle with customs if you don't declare the camera, and even then you'll be charged customs duty and VAT.

I travel to the US for various reasons about 4 or 5 times a year and while I am aware of the significantly lower costs of items in the US (Adorama for example) I would never buy a $1000+ camera outside of Europe for warranty purposes. Also be aware that if you have a problem with your US-bought digital camera (and from 5 years experience with digitals I can tell you that there's a significantly higher chance of a problem occurring than say for a film camera) you would have to send it back to Nikon USA for servicing. Nikon's warranty is a regional one (i.e. if bought in Europe it must be serviced in Europe, and similarly for Nikon USA).

There is one other important factor of which you should be aware - in the USA your warranty is with the manufacturer from after the first few weeks. In Europe by law your warranty for the first year is with the retailer from whom you purchased the equipment. You pay a premium (VAT, excise) but at least you can walk back into the shop with it if you have a problem.

I also believe that European law recently forced manufacturers of electronic goods to warranty items for 2 years instead of 1. I believe this is being enforced now but I have yet to verify whether or not Nikon have applied this to their digital cameras. I'll let you know what I hear from Nikon (I'm going to contact them today about that).

For what it's worth, I will be purchasing a D70 as soon as they come out but I will be doing so from Jessops UK simply for piece of mind (albeit at a premium).

Regards,

John

http://www.caudata.org/images/sil_2.gif
An Irish Nikonian living in the UK.
My Portfolio Gallery is here and my other galleries are here.
My other obsession is Caudata.org.

An Irishman resident in the USA.
My sadly way out of date pbase gallery is here.
My other obsession is Caudata.org.
My home page is here.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216808 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.