Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216772
View in linear mode

Subject: "Changing Lens with Power ON" Previous topic | Next topic
ManuelH Registered since 16th Dec 2003Fri 05-Mar-04 06:03 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Changing Lens with Power ON"

Singapore, SG

Yes, I do admit it's a big mistake on my part.

This D70 is my first dSLR and I was too excited with my new 70-300mm.

I took out my D70 from my lowepro bag without double checking on the POWER. I left the power ON from my previous use which was about 1 hour ago. Then I removed the default 18-70mm lens and replaced it with 70-300mm lens. Then I proceed to turn it on, and it was already on.

Luckily everything seems fine. I still can take good quality picture with the new 70-300mm lens on the D70.

My question:
Will it have any long term effect on the lenses and D70 body?

I know I should be more careful. **SULK** **SULK** Since I am a beginner, I bought all the cheaper version of equipment to try out first before upgrading to better lens or camera body. I know, that is beside the point, D70 still cost me a lot of money....

--------------------------

D70 (Feb 04 - ??)

Please feel free to make comments on my pictures at my nikonians gallery
Be my critique, so I can learn from the mistakes

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Changing Lens with Power ON
mfrissen
05th Mar 2004
DennisMe
05th Mar 2004
ManuelH
05th Mar 2004
mfrissen
05th Mar 2004
serych
05th Mar 2004
mfrissen
05th Mar 2004
Len Shepherd Gold Member
05th Mar 2004

mfrissen Basic MemberFri 05-Mar-04 07:18 AM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Changing Lens with Power ON"
In response to Reply # 0

Ulestraten, NL

Don't worry!

You can change lenses with power ON without any damage.

--
Nikonian located at 51.0164N , 5.8579E

DennisMe Registered since 12th Nov 2003Fri 05-Mar-04 07:35 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Changing Lens with Power ON"
In response to Reply # 1

Roosendaal, NL

But I wouldn't tempt fate if I were you!
Basically most manufacturers want to cover their asses, therefore saying it's not allowed.
In reality there is a very tiny chance that it may cause damage to the electronics. I wouldn't be too worried about it, most likely you may have to cycle power if the camera locks up, but the chance of permanent damage has to be very small.
Still, it's just good practice to turn the camera off while plugging lenses and stuff in or out.

Dennis.

ManuelH Registered since 16th Dec 2003Fri 05-Mar-04 07:50 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Changing Lens with Power ON"
In response to Reply # 2

Singapore, SG

Thanks guys...

I can sleep better tonight with your responses.

From now on I will double check the power before changing lenses or CF cards.

Thanks again.

--------------------------

D70 (Feb 04 - ??)

Please feel free to make comments on my pictures at my nikonians gallery
Be my critique, so I can learn from the mistakes

mfrissen Basic MemberFri 05-Mar-04 08:16 AM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Changing Lens with Power ON"
In response to Reply # 3

Ulestraten, NL

well, it's not like you have to wait for ages (like canon hehe) before the camera is ON.
In any case, happy shooting

--

serych Registered since 02nd Mar 2004Fri 05-Mar-04 08:25 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Changing Lens with Power ON"
In response to Reply # 2

Praha, CZ

What about the need to set aperture to F22 before switching the camera on after the changing of non D or G lenses. (It is described on page 18 of D70 user's manual.)
Is it possible to ommit this step too or the camera realy doesn't work, until it is switched on with the lens on F22?

D70 contemplator

Jakub Serych

mfrissen Basic MemberFri 05-Mar-04 08:58 AM
#6. "RE: Changing Lens with Power ON"
In response to Reply # 5

Ulestraten, NL

no need to do this before mounting, the camera will refuse to shoot, but you can change to f/22 at any time (power ON or OFF doesn't matter) - of course, having the aperture in the right position saves time.
I sometimes have this with my D100+45mm f/2.8P .. the 45mm doesn't have a lock, so the aperture ring sometimes isn't in the right position. I just turn the aperture ring back, and gone is the FEE error

--

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Fri 05-Mar-04 09:23 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Changing Lens with Power ON"
In response to Reply # 2

Yorkshire, GB

>Basically most manufacturers want to cover their asses,
>therefore saying it's not allowed.

There is a similar instruction with most Nikon SLR's about turning power off when changing lenses.
I rarely remember to do it (and I suspect neither do most other Nikon users) and many users probably never even read the instruction.

I have never had a problem with probably thousands of lens changes, and have not heard of anyone else having a problem either.
Don't worry if you forget.
>Still, it's just good practice to turn the camera off while
>plugging lenses and stuff in or out.

Agreed.

IMPORTANT.
With a VR lens always make sure the VR mechanism has switched off before removing the lens - otherwise the VR lock will not be in place during transport (and the VR mechanism will rattle if you shake the lens). Over time there good be internal damage.

Agreed.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216772 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.