Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216708
View in linear mode

Subject: "D70 durability" Previous topic | Next topic
imakshar Registered since 28th Feb 2004Thu 04-Mar-04 04:02 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D70 durability"

Ft. Lauderdale, US

I believe that now those who have D70 can tell us about the feel of the camera. How durable is it compared to metal body D100. I mean is it tough enough to take up rought beating and rough handeling ? how is the plastiv quality of D70 ?

Ck

Ck

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D70 durability
BJNicholls Gold Member
04th Mar 2004
ManuelH
05th Mar 2004
Reply message D70 durability
imakshar
05th Mar 2004
ManuelH
05th Mar 2004
RDW
05th Mar 2004
ManuelH
05th Mar 2004
RDW
05th Mar 2004
vchong
05th Mar 2004

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberThu 04-Mar-04 04:41 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D70 durability"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

I'd have to bet that any thoughts on durability at this point would be pure speculation (unless there was an obvious very weak point like a vulnerable CF compartment door or somesuch).

There were a lot of concerns about the N80's durability when it came out, but the camera has proven to be a very reliable non-pro body. I would expect the D70 to perform as well, but only time and use will really tell.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

ManuelH Registered since 16th Dec 2003Fri 05-Mar-04 08:24 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D70 durability"
In response to Reply # 0

Singapore, SG

Handling wise, I rate it excellent with my palm size.

As for plastic, I once read somewhere
"Plastic now is not the same as plastic years ago"

The polycarbonate "plastic" is actually very tough plastic.
I got more info from this URL
http://www.apme.org/polycarbonate/

If I am not mistaken D100 is not fully metal casing, it was polycarbonate + metal structure inside.

To me the pastics feels like metal
At least D70 is lighter to carry....

--------------------------

D70 (Feb 04 - ??)

Please feel free to make comments on my pictures at my nikonians gallery
Be my critique, so I can learn from the mistakes

imakshar Registered since 28th Feb 2004Fri 05-Mar-04 01:28 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "D70 durability"
In response to Reply # 2

Ft. Lauderdale, US

I am sure that as you mentioned it would be much stronger plastic body but still you know metal is metal. I spoke to some of people I know who have been doing photography for years and I don't want to soud anti D70 but to best judge the fell and build quality I think it would be great if you have used both and you know the difference. I am sure Nikon did a great job making this camera bit cheaper but than any layman's argument would be the same .. how did they get prioce down, Keeping all features and even adding some more but making it plastic. Isn't it natural ?

Ck

Ck

ManuelH Registered since 16th Dec 2003Fri 05-Mar-04 01:53 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D70 durability"
In response to Reply # 3

Singapore, SG

Well for all we know, the differences in manufacturing cost for D100 and D70 may be really very very small.

In any business there must be product differenciation so as to sell more in each category and make more money. To make the product different as to price it differently, they have to make some adjustment and not to have all the same features and materials.

I do not wish to sound "PRO-D70" too, but I have used CP5700 which has magnesium-alloy body. Compare both the body, I preferred D70.

Also certain handphone cover are made from the same polycarbonate material. I have drop handphone before and the cover did not even crack, just some dent here and there. So the issue probably not durability but actual usage and the person handling it.

A very good example is HP printers, do you think their printer range really differs a lot?

D70 (Feb 04 - ??)

RDW Registered since 20th Sep 2002Fri 05-Mar-04 02:20 PM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D70 durability"
In response to Reply # 4

Except that the D70 features are so close to those of the D100 (& in some cases better), 'product differentiation' is no longer clear. Which makes me wonder about what the 'D200' will be:

Would a 'D100s' upgraded with the new D70 features (like the meter and flash synch), and maybe with a higher Mpixel sensor, sell well enough to make it worthwhile?

Alternatively, can we expect a 'digital F100' with D70-spec digital capture plue better AF, finder and build quality? Or would this do too much damage to the sales of the D1/D2 class cameras? If not, Nikon could probably sell one for about the price of the F5...

ManuelH Registered since 16th Dec 2003Fri 05-Mar-04 02:30 PM
#6. "RE: D70 durability"
In response to Reply # 5

Singapore, SG

Well, D100 was a two years old product and I heard in some other thread that Nikon has stop the production of D100.

D70 (Feb 04 - ??)

RDW Registered since 20th Sep 2002Fri 05-Mar-04 03:30 PM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D70 durability"
In response to Reply # 6

Which makes a 'D200' even more likely, unless Nikon plans to leave the huge price gap between the D70 and D2H unfilled. I think the interesting question is: will the hypothetical new camera be more like a 'cut-down D2H' (in the same way that the F100 is a sort of 'cut-down F5'), or just an improved version of the current D100? If the former, would it kill sales of the D2H? If the latter, what features would it need to have to get people to buy it instead of the D70?

vchong Basic MemberFri 05-Mar-04 04:12 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D70 durability"
In response to Reply # 7

Victoria, CA

Did the introduction of the F100 kill sales of the F5? I think there's plenty of space between the F100 and the F5 to make both of them well suited to their particular needs. Nikon would hopefully do something similar (differentiation) with respect to the D2x and "D200" (the D2h will always have its niche as a high FPS digital body).

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216708 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.