Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216648
View in linear mode

Subject: "Removing nameplate" Previous topic | Next topic
kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Fri 27-Feb-04 03:01 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Removing nameplate"

Toronto, CA

Am I the only one who absolutely dislikes the silver "D70" nameplate? If there's one thing I want to complain about the aesthetics of the body, this would be it. The nameplate just totally spoils the professional look. I know the D70 is neither high-end nor a pro camera but still... How much more expensive is it to silkscreen!?

I'm wondering if anyone is planning to remove it or somehow paint it black or something like that.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Removing nameplate
DennisMe
27th Feb 2004
ThirtyFourOFive
27th Feb 2004
vchong
27th Feb 2004
gavinjung
27th Feb 2004
RDW
27th Feb 2004
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
28th Feb 2004
kc80s
28th Feb 2004
gavinjung
28th Feb 2004
kc80s
28th Feb 2004
rustovision
05th Mar 2004
fundy
06th Mar 2004

DennisMe Registered since 12th Nov 2003Fri 27-Feb-04 03:39 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Removing nameplate"
In response to Reply # 0

Roosendaal, NL

Nah, you're supposed to look at the camera from the back, not the front!

I'm hoping the nameplate is the biggest drawback!
(barring mirror lock-up, but then again, I'm hoping the mirror slaps up early when using the 2 second self-timer... )

Dennis.

ThirtyFourOFive Registered since 04th Feb 2004Fri 27-Feb-04 06:19 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Removing nameplate"
In response to Reply # 1

Calgary, CA

I agree - to me it looks kia cheap. Even though this is not supposed to be a pro camera does not mean they have to go out of their way to make it look. A grand US is still a lot of cash to drop on a frivolous purchase, which this would be for me since I do not use a camera to make money. Plus it's a long way up to get a better looking camera - D100 with less capabilities or D2H for 3 times the price (and mass).

I also dislike the silver plate under the shutter release. Oh well. Who thought photographers cared about aesthetics...

vchong Basic MemberFri 27-Feb-04 06:15 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Removing nameplate"
In response to Reply # 0

Victoria, CA

My guess is that it's glued on using probably some sort of contact cement or rubber-based adhesive. If you look at those pictures from the Nikon Thailand factory tour you can see some D70 bodies in various states of production.

However, if you look closely at the pictures you'll see that there's a dpression in the plastic along with two small mounting holes under the bracket. Now, if you were to pry off the logo and then sand down the top layer of the badge, chances are that the virgin plastic underneath is black...

Yowzers. YMMV, but it just scares me to think of you bringing a Dremel to your baby.

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

gavinjung Registered since 04th Apr 2002Fri 27-Feb-04 11:30 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Removing nameplate"
In response to Reply # 2

Vancouver, CA

you know... just the fact that we're here discussing the name plate as one of the flaws of the D70 to me sounds like there must not be much else bad with the camera. this is a good thing, i think!

anyways, for what it's worth, i think the name plate is just fine. sure it doesn't look like an F5, but it doesn't look like an 300D either. and at the very least, it looks finished. i'm sure you could try prying it off, but you'll more likely damage it and the end result will probably look unfinished. not to mention the loss in resale value. if it were me, i'd just learn to like it.

and something else, i'm sure the name plate costs more than the silk screening. i suspect they did this to improve the appeal to prosumer customers. you have to admit, while i prefer the familial look of the D70, it's relatively dull looking compared to the flashy 300D and the other lower model nikon offerings targeted at fashion conscious amateurs. i'll gladly accept the nameplate over some flashy silver body.

gj

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RDW Registered since 20th Sep 2002Fri 27-Feb-04 07:57 PM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Removing nameplate"
In response to Reply # 0

You could always try what these guys do :
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004yZ7

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSat 28-Feb-04 06:04 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Removing nameplate"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

This strikes me as a bit obsessive, even considering I paid too much for Nikon logo lenscaps instead of Tamron caps that cost much less and have the same center pinch design .

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Sat 28-Feb-04 04:24 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Removing nameplate"
In response to Reply # 6

Toronto, CA

I guess what I don't like is the shape of the nameplate. I know this type of nameplate is not something new (F75 has a similar, if not identical one), but I just find it so ugly.

gavinjung Registered since 04th Apr 2002Sat 28-Feb-04 05:58 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Removing nameplate"
In response to Reply # 7

Vancouver, CA

you know, i was looking at the nikon factory photos and it looks like the nameplate is just glued or snapped in at two prongs. if you have the guts, i'm sure you could pry it off. and if you're really good you could probably replace the badge with something of your making. or you could modify/paint the nameplate and replace it. i dunno. just a thot.

gj

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kc80s Registered since 29th Jan 2002Sat 28-Feb-04 11:24 PM
#9. "RE: Removing nameplate"
In response to Reply # 8

Toronto, CA

I know for sure that I will not pry it off as I can already visualize the end result. Maybe I'll just put a smiley sticker over it. Heh.

rustovision Registered since 02nd Feb 2004Fri 05-Mar-04 11:01 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Removing nameplate"
In response to Reply # 0

England, UK

Aesthetics, is totally important! just think of every design classic from the VW Beetle
to the Gibson SG or Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water...or the Black Cab or London Bus or the G5! oh and the Gill Sans font...
Now the stencil idea that was good, black that was good, the red bit hmm,
Just D70 in stencil on a black background would have been perfect!
If your going to do it right, do it right! no compromise, just look at Apple and their iPod..and other stuff...

Design is a good idea and the D70 rocks!

Pete

fundy Registered since 13th Nov 2002Sat 06-Mar-04 05:37 AM
1383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Removing nameplate"
In response to Reply # 10

Marugame, JP

Man professional camera folks abroad put some sort of black tape over anything marking the camera, especially the name. To thwart theft.

You could do this in preparation for your trips abroad with the camera

Andrew
A.K.A. Fundy

-----------
Oregonian Nikonian presently found on Shikoku, Japan
http://homepage.mac.com/fundy/

Andrew
A.K.A. Fundy

-----------
Fundy Photo
<a
href="http://www.fundyphoto.com">P
ortland, Beaverton, Oregon Wedding
Photographer</a>
http://www.fundyphoto.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216648 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.