Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216080
View in linear mode

Subject: "The look of print stock" Previous topic | Next topic
Eliotjo Registered since 13th Feb 2004Fri 12-Mar-04 10:28 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The look of print stock"

Portland, US

Clearly I'm a newbie but an avid amateur. I have a 990 but am venturing into the D70 as soon as it's out. Can anyone tell me if digital cameras can replicate the "look" of print stock? For example, several years ago I noticed Agfa print stock had a certain look that I found appealing. Kodak has another. (These are printed from retail photo labs). Can one achieve these "looks" through manipulation in Photoshop or is it done at the time it is shot? Or can it be done at all???

Signed,

thoroughly puzzled but eager to try

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 12-Mar-04 11:08 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The look of print stock"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

You may or may not be able to mimic a particular print paper's look. If you're having your images printed digitally on photographic paper via a Fuji Frontier or similar printer you will get the paper textures that the lab offers. Dye sublimation printers usually just have one or two surfaces available. Injet printers give you access to a wide array of paper surfaces. Beyond the finish and color of the paper (bright, cool, warm) you can adjust color balance to get many "looks". But you won't find a list of printers, papers, and settings that will deliver an Agfa so-and-so paper look, you'll have to experiment if you know what you want.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #216080 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.