Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215996
View in linear mode

Subject: "NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100" Previous topic | Next topic
vchong Basic MemberMon 08-Mar-04 02:25 AM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"

Victoria, CA

Not particularly insightful (we're a smarter bunch!) but here's the differences between the D70 and D100, straight from the horse's mouth:

http://tinyurl.com/2y492

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100
zinfella
08th Mar 2004
nkcllewis Silver Member
08th Mar 2004
serych
08th Mar 2004
nkcllewis Silver Member
09th Mar 2004
serych
09th Mar 2004
N80 Aircraftnut Silver Member
09th Mar 2004
serych
09th Mar 2004
Stavros
10th Mar 2004
nkcllewis Silver Member
10th Mar 2004
Stavros
10th Mar 2004
Harley
11th Mar 2004
nkcllewis Silver Member
12th Mar 2004
BJNicholls Gold Member
12th Mar 2004
nkcllewis Silver Member
13th Mar 2004

zinfella Registered since 25th Feb 2004Mon 08-Mar-04 03:35 PM
356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 0

Mesa, US

What about that great 1005 segment color metering from the F5? Did they merely forget it? That is a major improvement as I see it. Now, what has me curious, is just how far ahead of the D70 can a D100 replacement go, and not step to heavily on the features of the D2H or the upcoming D2X? Would it be worth a 50% price hike over the cost of a D70 just to get a standard cable release capability and verticle grip option? The D70 has more upgraded features over the D100 than I would have expected Nikon to include for under $1000, but to improve the D100 very much would be to cut in to the sales of the flagship models, the D2H and D2X, when it arrives.

Carl

A Mesa, Arizona Nikonian

nkcllewis Silver Member Charter MemberMon 08-Mar-04 06:01 PM
4859 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington, US

To clean the CCD chip on the D100, in the above referenced site, Nikon asks that you engage mirror lockup on the D100. Does the D70 come with mirror lockup and if not, how does Nikon expect the user to clean the CCD chip?

thanks,

Kent

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

"A poor worker always blames his tools" Anonymous

serych Registered since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 08-Mar-04 06:54 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 2

Praha, CZ

Yes, you can select mirror lockup in the setup menu. Than after pressing the shutter the mirror locks and curtain opens. After turning the camera off, the mirror and curtain goes back.
(pages 195-196 in PDF manual)

Jakub Serych

nkcllewis Silver Member Charter MemberTue 09-Mar-04 03:26 PM
4859 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 3

Washington, US

Jakub, so the D70 has mirror lockup? I was told by NikonUSA customer relations that it did not; but this is par for the course.

If the D70 has mirror lockup, why would anyone want to spend the extra 400 dollars for a D100?

Kent

serych Registered since 02nd Mar 2004Tue 09-Mar-04 04:37 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 4

Praha, CZ

It doesn't have the mirror lockup in shooting mode :'( (for the elimination of the camera vibrations during the shooting with sensitive times around 1/8 s), it seems to have just simple mirror lockup for cleaning reasons.
I'm not one of the happy owners of D70 yet, so my knowledge is only from PDF manual, and that's why I have one little expectancy, if the mirror is not locked up in the begining of the 2 second interval in the remote control delayed mode.
I questioned this possibility in one of other threads here but nobody answered until now.

Have a nice time

Jakub

N80 Aircraftnut Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2003Tue 09-Mar-04 05:53 PM
423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 5

East Lansing, US

So the D100 has mirror lockup? I was not aware of that. Of course I don't have a D100. More and more I think I might wait for the D200 or what ever the camera replacing the D100 will be called.

Markus

A German/American Nikonian living in Little Rhody

Markus

A German/American Nikonian living in the Mitten State.

… for landscape photography the
aphorism should be expanded:"f8 and
be there in good light." -John Shaw

serych Registered since 02nd Mar 2004Tue 09-Mar-04 06:56 PM
#7. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 6

Praha, CZ

IMHO D100 has at least delayed curtain release mode in which the curtain is released with a short delay after the mirror release.
(pg 159 od D100 PDF manual).
And surely it has also the CCD cleaning mode, but I think it must be powered by the power adaptor and not from batteries in this mode.
But all I said about D100 is only IMHO.

As busy as a beaver manual reader

Jakub

Stavros Registered since 23rd Sep 2003Wed 10-Mar-04 06:02 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Quoth Jakub:

``It doesn't have the mirror lockup in shooting mode. :'(''

True, but it does have (as you also say) Custom mode 24: anti-mirror-shock. Turning it on causes the mirror to trip about 1/3 of a second before the shutter is released. Apparently Nikon engineers have determined that 1/3 second is about enough for any vibrations to damp out. They're smart guys so I trust them.

And I don't expect them to put proper lock-up in any new less expensive model if they don't think the D100 needs it. Not unless we all send them letters asking for it...

-- Steve

-- Steve

nkcllewis Silver Member Charter MemberWed 10-Mar-04 01:24 PM
#9. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 8

Washington, US

>Quoth Jakub:
>
>``It doesn't have the mirror lockup in shooting mode.
>:'(''

>
>True, but it does have (as you also say) Custom mode 24:
>anti-mirror-shock. Turning it on causes the mirror to trip
>about 1/3 of a second before the shutter is released.
>Apparently Nikon engineers have determined that 1/3 second
>is about enough for any vibrations to damp out. They're
>smart guys so I trust them.
>
>And I don't expect them to put proper lock-up in any new
>less expensive model if they don't think the D100 needs it.
>Not unless we all send them letters asking for it...
>
>-- Steve

Steve, are you sure that the D70 has the anti-vibration mode similar to the D100 to minimize mirror slap? Because if it does then that is essentially mirror lock-up similar to all the D series, FM and FE bodies. I was advised by Nikon and a poster above that this "mirror Lockup" function for shooting was unique to the higher end digital bodies and not the D70. Thinking there was a lack of an anti-vibration mode is the main reason why I dismissed the D70 as camera for me.

Please advise,

Kent

Stavros Registered since 23rd Sep 2003Wed 10-Mar-04 08:18 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 9

US

``Steve, are you sure that the D70 has the anti-vibration mode similar to the D100 to minimize mirror slap?''

Hmm. I went back over my sources and find that the ones I thought were reputable have no mention of it (anymore?), there is no mention from the direct-from-Nikon sources, and the rest are in the usual state of flux and link-rot on the net...

Sorry, I seem to have spread misinformation. Or more accurately: non-information.

Given how easy it is to implement something like that, I now understand the confusion that seems to be growing over there being no mention of the feature...

Many Apologies,

-- Steve

-- Steve

Harley Basic MemberThu 11-Mar-04 03:09 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 10

Kingston, CA

The following is a quoted response from Nikon Canada:

Thank you for your inquiry, we appreciate your business. If you are referring to the anti shock feature, custom setting 24 on the D100, allowing for the exposure to be taken after the mirror vibration has subsided, the D70 lacks this feature.

nkcllewis Silver Member Charter MemberFri 12-Mar-04 10:23 PM
#12. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 11

Washington, US

>The following is a quoted response from Nikon Canada:
>
>Thank you for your inquiry, we appreciate your business. If
>you are referring to the anti shock feature, custom setting
>24 on the D100, allowing for the exposure to be taken after
>the mirror vibration has subsided, the D70 lacks this
>feature.

harley, thanks for asking them. Now, can I recommend you thank them for the response and ask them why the hell not?

Is this all marketing or what? How come you can get mirror lockup on the cheapo FM-10 and not on the $800 D70 but then again on the $1300 dollar D100? Are we simply talking a programing difference between the D100 and D70?
Kent

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 12-Mar-04 11:17 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 12

Salt Lake City, US

The D70 does have a new shutter so it's not a matter of downgrading the D100's capabilities. The N80, N75 and N65 don't have a prerelease mode. The FM-10 is a Cosina camera with a Nikon top plate. Nikon packed a lot into the D70, at $800 you can't expect to get everything. My $1900 Fuji S2 lacks the feature.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

nkcllewis Silver Member Charter MemberSat 13-Mar-04 05:29 PM
#14. "RE: NikonUSA: Difference between D70 and D100"
In response to Reply # 13

Washington, US

BJ, the rather expensive F100 doesn't have it either, and neither did the N90s or N8008 and it didn't seem to bother people too much. MLU certainly doens't apply uniformly to all types of photography given that most all photojournalists, wedding photogs, portraits, glamour, wildlife, sports and amatuer snap shooters will have very little use for it either. I think MLU only comes into play with still lifes, landscapes, high mag macro work and other types of specialty photography where the tiniest amout of mirror vibration would be an issue.

What remains curious is why Nikon put it in the pro D series and the D100 and not the D70 and yet Fuji didn't put it in the S1/S2 but Kodak put it in their "N80" full framer. Does the Sigma digital have it, because their two film bodies do? I understand that Canon has MLU in all their middle grade to pro bodies film and digital. So cost must not be a factor. When it comes to Nikon all I can say, is go figure.

Kent

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215996 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.