Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215980
View in linear mode

Subject: "Studio and the D70" Previous topic | Next topic
Jacqui Registered since 12th Mar 2004Fri 12-Mar-04 08:38 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Studio and the D70"

Hi everyone,
I am looking at purchasing the D70 but have been told it doesnt work well with studio lights .I am looking at purchasing a couple of bowen studio flashes and softboxes and would like to use the D70 to do some portrait work .I am not very experienced with digital SLR's and so I am hoping someone could tell me if The D70 or the D100 would be more suitable
Thanks
Jacqui

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

fotoman91 Registered since 02nd Jan 2004Fri 12-Mar-04 09:20 PM
130 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Studio and the D70"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jacqui, I'm guessing that what you heard about the D70 was in reference to the fact that it doesn't have a PC socket built into the camera which is necessary for firing studio flash. To the best of my recollection, the D100 doesn't have the PC socket either. This problem can be solved by using a hot-shoe adapter that has a PC socket in it. These are very inexpensive, but just to be on the safe side, I would recommend using what is called a "safety sync". A safety sync has circuit protection built in just in case the light sends a back voltage to your camera and protects it from being fried. They are also more expensive than a run of the mill hot-shoe adapter; somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 or so I've been told. I have been trying to find one of these myself so if any one knows who makes them and where they can be purchased please post a message with the info, please.

gilbert Registered since 21st Oct 2002Sat 13-Mar-04 05:41 AM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Wein Safe Sync"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

You must be talking about a Wein Safe Sync. They have a bunch of different varieties, including the hotshoe adapter with the PC terminal. Just go to B&H and do a search for "wein safe sync".

-gilbert
http://www.gilbertmabel.com

-gilbert
http://www.gilbertyuphotography.com

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain

Jacqui Registered since 12th Mar 2004Sat 13-Mar-04 06:30 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wein Safe Sync"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks guys for answering me.I will take a look at the hotshoe suggestion

Jacqui

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215980 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.