nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215924
View in linear mode

Subject: "I'd like to see some 18-70 tests..." Previous topic | Next topic
mfrissen   Ulestraten, NL  Basic Member Fri 05-Mar-04 08:28 AM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I'd like to see some 18-70 tests..."

I couldn't find anything in the nikkors forum, maybe some people here can do some 18-70 tests (those of you who have the D70/18-70 that is ).
Looks like a nice travel lense to me, but I cannot find any good images online that show what this puppy can do.

--
Nikonian located at 51.0164N , 5.8579E

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests... Jstevens
07th Mar 2004
Reply message RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests... serych
08th Mar 2004
Reply message RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests... StevenVW
08th Mar 2004
Reply message RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests... kc80s
08th Mar 2004
     Reply message RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests... resnica
08th Mar 2004
          Reply message RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests... jtzim
10th Mar 2004
               Reply message RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests... Zep
14th Mar 2004

Jstevens     Registered since 10th Dec 2002 Sun 07-Mar-04 12:34 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests..."
In response to Reply # 0

There are some nice images here taken with the lens: http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70samples.shtml

Personally, I think it looks good and sharp. I also had the opportunity to handle the lens at a recent tradeshow, and the construction is solid and true to Nikon reputation. Doubt that you can go wrong with it.

Regards,

Jstevens

serych   Praha, CZ  Registered since 02nd Mar 2004 Mon 08-Mar-04 09:53 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests..."
In response to Reply # 1

You have written in comment section of one picture: "I don't quite understand the moire patterns on the left fence".
I think, this is typical aliasing artefact. There are antialiasing filters in front of CCDs of most cameras including D70.
In very cheap non SLR cameras antialiasing can be realizet by the little blury (with low resolution) lense and without real AA filter in front of CCD.
For me, this picture is the proof, that AA filter of D70 has very delicate effect, which means the maximum possible resolution got out from CCD - Kudos to Nikon! and 18-70 DX has bigger resolution (less AA filtering efect) than the 18-35 one. Again Kudos to Nikon!

Jakub Serych

StevenVW   Laakdal, BE  Registered since 20th Aug 2002 Mon 08-Mar-04 12:05 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lookie here:

http://www.pbase.com/khinmarn/root

kc80s   Toronto, CA  Registered since 29th Jan 2002 Mon 08-Mar-04 04:18 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests..."
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the link. This lens isn't bad at all.

resnica   Bellingham, US  Basic Member Mon 08-Mar-04 05:03 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests..."
In response to Reply # 4

If folks with a good eye for lens evaluation would like to comment on the lens based on the photos, I'd like that.... Maybe point out what you see regarding distortion issues, contrast etc. Thanks, Adam

jtzim   Prince George, CA  Basic Member Wed 10-Mar-04 08:55 PM
153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests..."
In response to Reply # 5

Well from what I can see it doesn't look too bad, but it still falls into the consumer class :

* barrel and pincushion distortion evident (especially pincushion when compared to the 50mm prime)
* colors rendered cool and flat, both the the 50 and 18-35 are warmer
* corner sharpness wide open seems to be OK
* very nice bokeh

Ted Zimmerman

My Website

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Zep   Milwaukee/Waukesha area, US  Basic Member Sun 14-Mar-04 04:23 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: I'd like to see some 18-70 tests..."
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks for the critique of the lens - I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates it.

"Every exit is an entry somewhere." -Tom Stoppard
Zep

"Every exit is an entry somewhere." -Tom Stoppard
Zep

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215924 Previous topic | Next topic