Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215892
View in linear mode

Subject: "d70 or coolpix8700" Previous topic | Next topic
glennk Registered since 05th Mar 2004Fri 05-Mar-04 01:14 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"d70 or coolpix8700"

USA, US

I am debating getting a d70 or the coolpix 8700. Currently I have a coolpix 4500 and after 20 years of lugging large film cameras around I find the small size and the stealth possibilities of the swiveling viewfinder liberating. I imagine being in the d70 forum, there will be a wealth of opinions on why the d70 is a much better idea. I would love to hear your most prominent factors that favor the d70, in spite of it's substantially heavier weight and lack of swiveling screen, over the 8700. I guess I'm just looking to be convinced that it will be worth going back to a larger camera bag and being a more visible photographer. Can you help?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: d70 or coolpix8700
ManuelH
05th Mar 2004
Covey22 Moderator
09th Mar 2004
Stavros
10th Mar 2004
Covey22 Moderator
14th Mar 2004
     Reply message Beg to disagree
bejersey
10th Mar 2004
RoyWoo
09th Mar 2004
Treefrog
11th Mar 2004

ManuelH Registered since 16th Dec 2003Fri 05-Mar-04 02:19 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d70 or coolpix8700"
In response to Reply # 0

Singapore, SG

I am previously using CP5700 and now I bought the D70 and been in love with it since.

Why?

Few major reasons:
1 - Continous shooting at 3fps until the memory card is full, okay I read somewhere after about 10+ shot it became 2.5fps but it's still very good for me especially I shoot a lot of candid and birthday shots.

2. 1600 ISO, CP5700 only 800 max. I have more options to shoot in low light condition and also at 1600 there isn't a lot of noise.

3. Ability to change to other lenses. CP5700 up to 35-280mm, if I am not mistaken. I cannot have wide-angle shot, cannot have longer zoom, etc.

4. Quick start-up, turn it on and shoot straight away. CP5700 have to wait for a few seconds. Sometimes, the photo taking opportunity is lost because of that.

5. Better battery life

6. Easier to make changes to the settings. CP5700 have to navigate a set of menus to change the settings.

I can probably go on for a few more reasons but there are much more better reviews out there (dpreview, steve-digicams, etc).

Hope the above will help you make your decision.

--------------------------

D70 (Feb 04 - ??)

Please feel free to make comments on my pictures at my nikonians gallery
Be my critique, so I can learn from the mistakes

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 09-Mar-04 02:06 AM
10410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d70 or coolpix8700"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Not entirely accurate - several points to consider:

1. With Nikon converter lenses, you can go as wide as 28mm/2.8 or as long as 420mm/4.2 (!) without loss of effective aperture. This is the advantage of sticking a TC on the end of a lens rather than in between the camera and the lens. With third-party converters, you can go even wider or longer (with varying degrees of picture quality).

2. Battery life with a standard EN-EL is very good, almost on par with the D100 (and presumably the D70 since they share the same battery).

3. Startup - the only delay is in the zoom lens extension, otherwise startup is relatively instantaneous.

The major reasons behind picking a DSLR are the same as a film SLR versus point&shoot - you want versatility - pick the SLR. You want convenience and good (but not great) capabilities in one package - you pick the P&S. In this case, the cost is much greater than film equivalents, so it's a matter of requirements and what you're willing to spend, that will drive your decision. Either way, pick Nikon.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Stavros Registered since 23rd Sep 2003Wed 10-Mar-04 06:41 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d70 or coolpix8700"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I can't resist playing Devil's advocate }>:

1. With the D70 (or D100) I can go as wide as equivalent 21mm at f/2.8 (wider if I use a fish eye and correct for the spherical distortion in software) and as deep as 900mm equivalent at f/4.0. I can even relatively easily mount the dSLR on a telescope or a microscope if I want to. This is much more difficult with the compacts.

2. The vertical grip lets me add a second battery, about doubling the battery life. And if push comes to shove I can then use AA NiMH batteries to get that last critical shot.

3. Startup is faster than I can move: D100 power on to tripping the shutter is as soon as I can move my finger from the power switch to the shutter release and press. I use this to impress my non-photography-obsessed friends. I set focus and aperture surreptitiously and then, when they're not expecting it, demonstrate: raise camera, turn on and fire shot, all in one smooth, quarter-second motion. Amazes them every time.

One other dSLR selling point: image noise at the same ISO. The APS sensors win hands down. Bu that does not make the 8700 or 5700 a slouch; they're really good and software can do a lot to help.

My only complaints about the D100: I really wish I weren't getting body-builder arms lugging my half ton of equipment around. And everyone notices even when I carry my smallest D100 kit (Body + 35mm lens) and takes steps to avoid my shots... :'(

But nit-picking aside, you're absolutely right: It's difficult to get outside the range of the 8700 or 5700 with attachments, and the size and convenience and comparatively low all-around cost are nearly impossible to beat. I have to agree with you and Roy (below): I'd use the cameras in very different ways for different purposes.

Come to think of it, I really wish I had an 8700, too...

-- Steve

-- Steve

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 14-Mar-04 03:37 PM
10410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: d70 or coolpix8700"
In response to Reply # 4

US

And I'll play the apprentice to the advocate.

With the 5700 battery grip, my rechargable NiMHs will outlast even the vaunted EN-ELs.

Digiscoping is easier than you'd be willing to believe with the 5700 - I've seen some amazing stuff done with simple adapters - Nikon even sells their own to tie into their sporting/hunting optics (which as one would expect - is superb). 900mm? I've seen a minimum of 1300mm and with up to five ED elements in a given combination, the image quality is fabulous.

But I still love my D100.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

bejersey Registered since 03rd Mar 2004Wed 10-Mar-04 01:06 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Beg to disagree"
In response to Reply # 2

Battery life on the D100 is far longer than the CP5700 or 8700.

RoyWoo Registered since 14th Feb 2002Tue 09-Mar-04 05:32 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d70 or coolpix8700"
In response to Reply # 0

Hongkong, CN

Hi, just a few thoughts.

I have both a compact and a DSLR, and they are used for different purposes. The compact has a swivel LCD and fits in my pocket. It takes great pictures, even though it operates rather slowly. The focusing is not that reliable, but the depth of field makes up for this.

A DSLR is a different beast. It is fast, and its response is accurate. It gives me a great deal more control over the images, but its also a lot more work. At times, I use it because I need to be visible.

In your post, it appears you really do like the 4500 very much. If you want a replacement for the 4500, the 8700 would be a great choice. Otherwise, the D70 would be great, if you find the speed, accuracy and control on the 4500 lacking.

Roy

Treefrog Registered since 10th Mar 2004Thu 11-Mar-04 05:38 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: d70 or coolpix8700"
In response to Reply # 3

White Plains,

I am not sure, but does the Coolpix use smaller pixels on its CCD like the new Sony and other P&S?

In my oppinion D70 sounds like a better camera, but it really depends what you need it for.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215892 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.