Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215812
View in linear mode

Subject: "Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70?" Previous topic | Next topic
pakal Registered since 07th Feb 2004Tue 09-Mar-04 11:59 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70?"

New York City, US

Does anyone have a chart with the Megabyte sizes of RAW and JPEG pics on the D70. Was wondering in order to purchase appropriate CF card.

Also, what would be the fastest card for the D70? Any thoughts on the upcoming Lexar 80x?

Thnx.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70
danchamp
10th Mar 2004
reo4503
14th Mar 2004
Tamislan
10th Mar 2004
pakal
10th Mar 2004
Tamislan
11th Mar 2004
Rally
10th Mar 2004
Treefrog
11th Mar 2004
sheilsoft
11th Mar 2004
Treefrog
11th Mar 2004
pakal
12th Mar 2004
Tamislan
12th Mar 2004
pakal
13th Mar 2004
fpang99
12th Mar 2004
pakal
13th Mar 2004
serych
13th Mar 2004
pakal
14th Mar 2004
serych
15th Mar 2004
Treefrog
15th Mar 2004
pakal
15th Mar 2004

danchamp Registered since 10th Feb 2004Wed 10-Mar-04 01:56 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Plantsville, US

The D70 nef files are 5.5MB average according to Ken Rockwell.
That gives you around 42 raw files per 256MB card. CF card
speed could have a much greater influence on overall speed of
the D70 because of Nikon's LSI chip and compressed nef's.
How quick is Nikon's new pipeline? Only time will tell that.
For a grand, this camera's gonna rock! First time I ever pre-
ordered anything. Hope this helps

... ...
....Dan.....
... ..

reo4503 Registered since 28th Feb 2004Sun 14-Mar-04 07:57 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 1

>The D70 nef files are 5.5MB average according to Ken
>Rockwell.
>That gives you around 42 raw files per 256MB card. CF card
>

For a moment there I thought your maths was not right. I've been having my D70 with a 512MB for a few weeks and I'm seeing 47 shots (RAW only) after formatting.

Just to make sure, I've just verified that it could take 85 shots before full.

On page 45 of the manual, it is mentioned the average file size for RAW is 5 MB and the number of shots for 256MB is 23. I guess my camera is normal. Wonder why Nikon chooses to make such conservative estimation for remaining shots.

Tamislan Registered since 12th Nov 2002Wed 10-Mar-04 08:47 AM
462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Going by Rob Galbraith's tests (the address escapes me but type his name into google for the page), the top card at the moment is the Sandisk Extreme or for a tiny performance penalty (but good price difference) the Sandisk Ultra II. Rob runs tests on various cameras by various manufacturers on an ongoing basis. The Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme are outperforming all of the other cards, including Lexar's.

I recently acquired a 1 gig Ultra II for my soon-to-be-bought D70.

Regards,

http://www.caudata.org/images/sil_2.gif
An Irish Nikonian living in Dublin.
My (soon to be updated) Portfolio Gallery is here and my other galleries are here.
My other obsession is Caudata.org.

An Irishman resident in the USA.
My sadly way out of date pbase gallery is here.
My home page is here.

pakal Registered since 07th Feb 2004Wed 10-Mar-04 03:41 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 2

New York City, US

Thanks guys. Um, I saw that on galbraith's site, but he has not had a chnace to test the cards on a D70, though. This is particularly important as the speed changes according to camera (sometimes dramatically). The Sandisk cards are writing at 9MB/sec (approximately) which is pretty amazing, but Lexar claims their new 80X will write at 12mb/sec (May would be too far ahead if I had the bucks). I was just wondering if anyone out there had beta tested the L80X w/ the D70. I'm a student and my budget is always tighter than a needle hole. I'd hate to lay out $400 only to see the newer Lexar card outperform the sandisk in less than 2 months. I take lot of street photography of movement in NYC (a hobby, not my profession) and I am addicted to speedy cards. I've played with a coolpix for three years and this is my first sujoourn into the DDSLR. And like Edna O'brien used to say, "I'm exicted as heck!" I've pre-ordered my D70 and am just delusionally pining by my mailbox like an ugly girlfriend (or boyfriend, not to be politically incorrect) waiting for her hubby's telephone call. I was just wondering. I think I might'll have to wait to May and use my lame L40X til then.

m

Tamislan Registered since 12th Nov 2002Thu 11-Mar-04 03:44 PM
462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 3

Dallas, US

I think you'll find that for all the Nikon cameras tested, SLR and prosumer, the Sandisk cards are the fastest. It would be a major surprise if Nikon had designed a new interface solely for the D70.

My (soon to be updated) Portfolio Gallery is here and my other galleries are here.

My home page is here.

Rally Registered since 31st Jan 2004Wed 10-Mar-04 11:01 PM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Auckland, NZ

Hi,

Check out this thread for a list I posted from a Nikon PDF

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID86/88.html

Treefrog Registered since 10th Mar 2004Thu 11-Mar-04 05:34 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 4

White Plains,

Here's a little tip regarding your CF cards, something I have grown accustomed to doing.

After losing a bunch of images from a D100 and lexar and sandisk CF cards, I now always reformat the card in the camera after I copied the pics.

Ever since then I have not gotten any more "corrupt data" warnings etc, when trying to transfer them to pc.

sheilsoft Registered since 10th Mar 2004Thu 11-Mar-04 08:37 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 6

Edinburgh, GB

After recently pre-ordering my D70, I sent a request to Nikon support asking for their preference of CF card to use the full speed of the camera.

The only two brands and types they recommend is...

Sandisk Ultra II
Lexar WA

The chap said if pushed, he would recommend the Sandisk.

I wanted a 1 Gb card, and the UK best price for Sandisk was ~£275... after much searching, I found a trader on Ebay selling new, packaged cards for £167... quite a saving!

Treefrog Registered since 10th Mar 2004Thu 11-Mar-04 10:49 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 7

White Plains,

personally i prefer two 512 cards over a 1 gb. the inevitable is that sometime you will lose images, and I rather lose only 512mb worth of fotos.
but the added convenience and at a good price like you mentioned are going for the 1gb.

pakal Registered since 07th Feb 2004Fri 12-Mar-04 04:06 AM
#9. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 8

New York City, US

Yeap, the cards are basically memory chips, not unlike (in concept at least) the RAM used in PCs. So, they collect garbage quite frequently (fragments of files, etc), just as RAM does, and the best way to get rid of it is to do the same thing we do when the PC slows to a crawl or crashes, empty RAM by doing a fresh reboot. So, formatting them is like taking the vacum cleaner to them. I havent felt like I needed to format mine after each shoot, but that is just me. I imagine each case is different.

I bought Sandisk cards a couple of years ago and determined, after many tests, that they were misadvertising their claims (even after contacting their technical support). Since then I've been a little skeptical not only of their claims, but of the quality of their product. Having said that though, I honestly believe that that may have been just one's man's experience. Nevertheles, Lexars have been consistently good to me. And I trust their product more. Thus my eagerness about their upcoming 80X, which, at 12MB/sec, promises to be a full 25% faster than the Sandisks, and twice as fast as the Lexar WAs. However, if I had the bucks to blow, you bet your lifesavers I would be strongly considering giving the Sandisks a two month test drive. Of course until the L80s are out.

Live long, prosper, and multiply!

Tamislan Registered since 12th Nov 2002Fri 12-Mar-04 07:23 PM
#10. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 9

Dallas, US

I think you need to do a bit more home work with regard to transfer speeds. To say that all of the manufacturers misrepresent the speed of their cards is being nice to them.

As for Lexar versus Sandisk, here's my take:

I've had more than a handful of digital cameras since 1999. Up to about a year ago I would have chosen a top end Lexar over any other card available. Despite the fact that Sandisk invented the CompactFlash standard, they always produced unremarkable cards (but Nikon always bundled "re-badged" Sandisk cards with their cameras FYI). Times have changed though. I got into the market for a 1 gig card in January and compared the stats (the real ones) and I didn't hesitate to choose the Ultra II. I've been using it now for two months and I have no complaints.

My two "cent" (in Europe we don't use the s).

John

My home page is here.

pakal Registered since 07th Feb 2004Sat 13-Mar-04 01:00 AM
#12. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 10

New York City, US

I know. They're scoundrels! But arent you going to be tempted when those L80x's come out, John?

Hum, how come you guys dont use the 'S' in cents?

fpang99 Basic MemberFri 12-Mar-04 08:44 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 9

Vancouver, CA

I was wondering what kind of problems you had with Sandisk? I had a Sandisk Ultra 512MB fail on me after not even a year's use - luckily I had a backup card and was able to retrieve the photos that were taken. Sandisk was very good with customer service and the replaced it with a new Sandisk Ultra 2 card. Hopefully that card won't fail. Does anyone know what kind of rate of failure to expect from Lexar and Sandisk cards? I am more concerned about reliability rather than bleeding-edge speed.

pakal Registered since 07th Feb 2004Sat 13-Mar-04 01:23 AM
#13. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 11

New York City, US

My experience is very limited. I've had mostly Lexars and they have been very reliable over say about 6 years. And, unfortunately, my one bad experience with Sandisk was exclusively about their write-speed claim, not that the card failed. So, I would never presume that I or anyone could draw any conclusions from that. My dislike of them has more to do with--as john has eloquently alluded to (wink, wink)--my inexperience. I felt so cheated that one time and so agravated by their lies (not necessarily on the label, but on the tech phone), that I am just carrying an unhealthy grudge against them (that would be Sandisk). (I do confess to have owned a little bit of Lexar stock at some point, which did pretty handsomely).

However, I think the cards are pretty reliable for the most part. These two companies are selling billions of them. So they must be doing something right. Physically, they're remarkably sturdy (you couldnt do the same think with a RAM --memory- chip, for instance). Just keep'm away from moisture and hammers and they should be okay. And, so, like it has been mentioned, I think the main reason they might fail is lack of regular formatting. The fact that we are filling up and discharging them with data hundreds and hundreds of times means that a lot of that data gets corrupted and/or fragmented and what not, and is left inside the card, and that is primarily the main reason why they might fail. So, personally I format them every other time I discharge pics from it. Some have mentioned that they do it all the time. Do keep in mind that is better to format it in the camera you are going to use (as oppose to the PC/Mac or another camera), as the camera will write code and files to it that will allow it to communicate better. You may have just gotten a bum card. I wouldnt worry so much. There is always a small percentage of product that passes through a little unready or damaged.

serych Registered since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 13-Mar-04 04:23 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 13

Praha, CZ

>However, I think the cards are pretty reliable for the most
>part. These two companies are selling billions of them. So
>they must be doing something right.
Yes they are! The problem of FLASH memory technology is the limited number of write cycles in contrary to RAM which has unlimited number of write cycles. The read cycles are unlimited in fhe FLASH technology too. But statement "FLASH technology has write cycles limit" is similar to statement "our Sun has time limit after which it will die out". Who cares? It becomes a problem in some milions of years. The same with FLASH. Average write cycles number is much more than 100 000.
Let's say, that capacity of your CF is 50 pictures, so you have to shoot much more than 5 milions of pictures to get over that limit.
Happy shooting, and start as soon as possible, life is short!

>And, so, like
>it has been mentioned, I think the main reason they might
>fail is lack of regular formatting. The fact that we are
>filling up and discharging them with data hundreds and
>hundreds of times means that a lot of that data gets
>corrupted and/or fragmented and what not, and is left inside
>the card, and that is primarily the main reason why they
>might fail.

There is classical FAT (16 or 32) filesystem on the card. It works so (simplified), that you have the small table with the filenames and pointers to the places on the card, where each image is physicaly placed. If you record for example 5 images with size 3MB each, there are their names and addresses of the physical locations in the FAT table.
Than if you delete second and fourth image, there are free places in the memory. Afterward you record one 5MB image. The FAT system tries to fill free spaces first, so there will be filename in the FAT and pointer to first 3MB free space and than pointer that points to the second free 3MB space. As the image has only 5MB, there will remain ane more megabyte free in the second block for the next image.
This is called file fragmentation and it is worse and worse when you delete one file here one file there and again writes other file here and another here. If you do it hundred times and need very fast file access (typicaly in the PC in some very time critical application like playing multimedia files in the real time) it could be problem. But this is absolutely no problem in the camera. First you are not typicaly deleting hundred times images and overwriting them again and secondly writing images even in 3 img/sec in the camera is absolutely not time critical operation for FAT file system.
Typicaly you record images in camera and than you moves all of them to the comp which operation completely deletes them from the card. In this moment the card FAT filesystem is clear and starts recording new images from the begining of the FLASH without any fragmentation. So formating is not necessary. I use primary factory formating of my flash cards for 5 years (thousands of images taken) without any problem. Also process of FLASH card formating typicaly doesn't realy format the card as the computer formats HDD. It only creates the new FAT table the same, you have when you delete all the files.

Jakub

pakal Registered since 07th Feb 2004Sun 14-Mar-04 08:53 PM
#16. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 14

New York City, US

Jakub, thanks for the tech stuff. Now, my friend, the beauty with tech details is every now and then it really doesnt work at it is supposed to. We have three cameras that we use to document surgeries in a hospital and the doctors used to have problems with their cards. As soon as they started periodically formatting the cards (on my non-techie advise), the problems disappeared. Now, I know such an experience doesnt compute with the tech data, but, there lies the rub, my friend. We have created amazing technologies over the last decade, but I cant begin to tell you how many times they do not behave like they're suppose to out in the field of work. On paper, things can go to the moon! In the field, it's a whole different ball of wax. Besides, I have to confess the tecg data went right over my head. Sometimes a good hit in the corner of the jukebox is all you need.

serych Registered since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 15-Mar-04 09:18 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 16

Praha, CZ

But what you write only means, that there is a serious bug in the firmware of the cameras, which malformes the FAT on the cards, so they have to be reformated often. Are the cameras you use Nikons? I don't have any experience with digital Nikons until now (I have used three types of Oympus cameras until now with absolutely no problem with Falsh cards, (first was Olympus L1440 which is prehistoric camera from present point of view)).

It will be big disapointment for me if Nikon (including awaited D70) will have such a big software problems.

I also have two servers under my administration, which use (cheapest noname) CF cards in place of normal HDD for one and half year with pretty intensive traffic. It means tens thousands of rewrites of the files on them.
CF is realy very good prooved technology working in many instruments (digital cameras usage makes only some percentage, the other use are PDAs, MP3 players, GPS instruments, Flash HDDs in many comps all over the world etc. etc.)
If there realy is the problem with filesystem, it must be only camera firmware issue.

Jakub

Treefrog Registered since 10th Mar 2004Mon 15-Mar-04 12:01 PM
#18. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 17

White Plains,

Even if it is a firmware issue, reformating is quick and easy and you dont even need to go into the menu. it only takes a few seconds. it really also depends on the CF cards. I was using some cheap no name cards and had the problem much more frequently. since lexar and sandisk and reformating never...
what also may cause card malfunction is if you take a CF card which was in a different camera, say an olympus e-20 and then pop that card into a nikon, with only deleting the pics and not reformating.....

pakal Registered since 07th Feb 2004Mon 15-Mar-04 02:23 PM
#19. "RE: Megabyte sizes of pics on D70? Best CF card for D70"
In response to Reply # 17

New York City, US

It is not a big software problem, my friend. You hit two buttons and the card is formatted in--literately--one and a half seconds. End of issue. Yes, they are all coolpix models. Perhaps, the problem rises because the cards are used with all three cameras, and probably compounded because the cameras are of various ages? But it's a non-issue as the formatting takes less than 2 seconds. I've had a coolpix for years and it's worked like a charm with only occasional formatting. A good way to tell if I need formatting is if when I pop the card in the camera it gives me a lesser number of pics than it would if it were freshly formatted. Then I know it has garbage in it and needs formatting. If card is formatted, it gives me 164 pics. If it has garbage, it gives me 144.

I think the D70 will be just fine. In fact, I dont expect any problems. All I am concerned about is that if I am going to lay out $400, that I get the fastest thing in the market. And that's why I will wait my two months for the Lexar 80x.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215812 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.