Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215664
View in linear mode

Subject: "Timed Exposures?" Previous topic | Next topic
cburwell Registered since 15th Mar 2004Mon 15-Mar-04 03:40 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Timed Exposures?"

I am looking into purchasing either an N80 or a D70 as my first REAL camera. I work at a camera store, so I have had the opportunity to play with the N80 and the F100 so far.

I am new to photography in general, but I would like to get more into photography. One thing I would like to do is late night timed exposures. I know that on the N80 I can put the camera on bulb, and use a shutter release cable with a lock to expose the film as long as I want. My coworker has done this with very good results, and I would like to give it a try.

My concern with the D70 is how I would achieve such a long exposure. I do not fully understand why type of remote release the D70 uses, but I thought I saw something about a remote. If this is the case would I have to sit there and hold down a button on the remote for as long as I want to expose the picture?

Right now I am just gathering information, in the end money will probably make my final decision.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Timed Exposures?
gilbert
15th Mar 2004
simeyla
15th Mar 2004
andyz4000
16th Mar 2004
serych
16th Mar 2004
ravegun
16th Mar 2004

gilbert Registered since 21st Oct 2002Mon 15-Mar-04 03:52 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Timed Exposures?"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

The D70 uses the same wireless remote as the N75: the ML-L3. According to the manual for the D70 you can set the remote up so that the first press opens the shutter and the second press closes the shutter. The manual says that the maximum is 30 mins.

-gilbert
http://www.gilbertmabel.com

-gilbert
http://www.gilbertyuphotography.com

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain

simeyla Registered since 10th Mar 2004Mon 15-Mar-04 09:01 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Timed Exposures?"
In response to Reply # 1

surely you could do this with the regular shutter too. you'd obviously have to cover the lens while you were touching the camera - but since its a long exposure this wouldnt affect the overall exposire.

My old samsung bulb feature (with no cable release) had it such that I had to hold the button down. this was terrible, but also 8 years ago - so i'm sure theyve got it figured now.

andyz4000 Registered since 27th Feb 2004Tue 16-Mar-04 05:34 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Timed Exposures?"
In response to Reply # 0

Gilbert is right with this one. I have just purchased the ML-L3 Remote unit for my Nikon D70 and it works just like that, D70 in bulb mode - press once for shutter release (stays open) - press again for shutter close. Also the ML-L3 only cost just under 30.00 Australian, Its a very inexpensive must have for the D70 kit.

Andy Z

serych Registered since 02nd Mar 2004Tue 16-Mar-04 07:00 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Timed Exposures?"
In response to Reply # 3

Praha, CZ

Please, could you test, if the ML-L3 pre-releases mirror in the D70 delayed remote control operation?
(It seems to me, that you are one of the first D70 + ML-L3 owners)
Thanks a lot

Jakub

ravegun Registered since 15th Mar 2004Tue 16-Mar-04 06:36 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Timed Exposures?"
In response to Reply # 0

Timisoara, RO

Hi,

Or you can stack more images together. Make several shots of the same scene and then stack them together using, for example, Image Stacker from TawbaWare.com.

Have fun.

---------
Nikonians in Romania too.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215664 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.